Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
So a driver is to be rewarded DOTD for being inconsistent?

For Button, a final 15 laps, no matter what he did, does not mitigate that the rest of the race he drove was pretty rubbish. Had Michael Schumacher not drove a sublime race that day I'd have gone for him myself but Schumacher really deserved to win that race for how he drove. It was, in my opinion, the best race he had out of retirement and certainly, it was a thousand times better than Button's inconsistent dribble he produced for most of the day. Like I said, it's DOTD, not the best driver of 15 laps.
The reward is for brilliance, not for inconsistency. Inconsistency doesn't have to automatically outweigh brilliance.

You memory of that race seems rather faulty. It was over the last 30 laps that Button went from last to first, though racing through the whole field in just 15 laps would have been an even more remarkable achievement. He was as consistent as anyone else for the first 40 laps too, apart from the collision with Alonso. He was in the top 10 for pretty much the whole race except after pitting and then after the collision, and set the second-fastest lap in the period of the race prior to the red flag.