Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    They are suggesting it will be dropped already. What a farce. Didn't need changing anyway but who thought this would work?

Did they actually think the teams would say "ok let's run all session in harder tyres to make a show"?

Sent from my GT-I9301I using Tapatalk
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    Please , oh please , don't try any stupid tweaks to try to fix it !

Just change it back to the way it was just last year .

I said "please" . I even said it twice .

3. Likes: steveaki13 (19th March 2016),Tazio (20th March 2016)
    Liked 644 Times in 509 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post

I agree with what ol' one ear said:
    So this is really wrong, and we should change it quickly, get everybody here together, have a quick discussion about changed for Bahrain. People can make mistakes, this is a big mistake.
    May the forza be with you

Liked 1,075 Times in 601 Posts
    That was the most useless quali I have ever seen. I seriously hope they change the format back.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    Bernie presides over giant cockup. Film at eleven.

It sounds like it will be changed back to the old format in short order, as even Bernie is washing his hands of the whole thing, trying to blame the whole mess on the teams for not letting him implement his preferred reverse grid idea.

Bernie Ecclestone declares F1's new qualifying format 'pretty crap'

Ecclestone said he was "sure" the format could be revised in time for the second round of the season in Bahrain on the first weekend of April, but he warned against simply going back to the previous format.

"If we go back to the old system, I tell you what would happen: Mercedes would be first and second," he said. "Pretty simple.
    Oddly, that's how it usually works when one team is faster. Why would you want a qualifying system that doesn't do that?

Niki Lauda introduced the world to an Austrian idiom (I presume), describing the new format as "Like digging in the toilet". As corporal Garlick would say, I have no idea what that means, but it sounds very negative to me.

7. Likes: Jag_Warrior (21st March 2016),Whyzars (20th March 2016)
    Liked 644 Times in 509 Posts

Formula 1 qualifying is to revert back to the old system from the Bahrain

May the forza be with you

Liked 669 Times in 467 Posts
    It sucked worse than any format I've ever seen. And I can't see it getting better if they kept it. Too many quick cars just being caught out due to the timing changing constantly on who is on the bottom, with no time to recover unless the cars just somehow stay out banging in fast laps.

And watching the clock tick down with nobody on track, when with the old format they were all timing it to have just enough time to get the warm up lap and start a flyer. What a total mess and disappointment it was!

Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
    I loved the 'old' 'old' format. Every Driver has one crack at a fast lap. A single mistake would cost dearly. Beautiful. You all know the story.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    You know I don't mind F1 having tried something new but really they need to listen to the drivers and teams more, the guys whom are actually playing the game so to speak as they are the tacticians that will play out the rules. All the Engineers told F1 bosses that this would happen and no one listened.

Now you have Bernie wanting reversed grids after qualifying which is equally a daft idea as, instead of going flat out in qualifying, drivers will drive to a slowest time to try and start on pole.

The idiocy of all these ideas is dumbfounding.

Time to get back to basics. Get rid of the rubbish Pirelli tires and the different tire compounds throughout a race and DRS. F1 needs to be about the fastest guy gets pole first. Then the smartest and fastest goes onto win the race. These are core principles which shouldn't be deviated from, imo. Back to the days of single compound tires that allow a driver to push balls to the wall the entire stint and in qualifying. Make the cars lighter and thus more nimble.

Then their is the crux of the issue, which everyone seems to dance around - overtaking. Research a solution dedicated to solving overtaking. There has to be a way to counteract the downforce lost when following a car mid corner. If this issue was solved I think that people might finally shut up and stop complaining about F1 as really it's the lack of genuine overtaking is the root cause of all these bullshit rules they are introducing in order to "spice up the show".

12. Likes: Jag_Warrior (21st March 2016)
    Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post

It is being reported that a return to last year's system was not on offer , but rather , that they could choose to have either longer first and second sessions , with a retro 3rd Q session , or a return to last race's system .

This puts the reason for it's last race failure in the laps of the teams , suggesting they got it all wrong .
    Since they are being made scapegoat , we shouldn't expect to see any real improvement in it for the next race , as this would cement the opinion that it's not the system's fault .

Thus , qualifying will remain ridiculous until this power struggle is over .

Fans will walk in confused and angry droves .