Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts

Alonso to change team in 2017

Seeing the state of affairs of Mclaren-Honda during the two testing sessions, and also hearing mutterings of teams showing an interest in giving Alonso a drive if he wants it, would anyone really bet against the likelihood of an Alonso move in 2017 to another team. Under the circumstances, it would be hard for Mclaren to hang on to the two time world champion who is very clearly hungry for a 3rd title.

Renault would love to have him back. Mercedes may not mind having Alonso, assuming he has not pissed them off with his claim of the fictitious Mercedes deal of two years ago. I would bet Williams may be entertaining the thought as well. You may say a return to Ferrari is out of the question, but l would think not entirely. The new management may have a different view on things.

That said, which of these teams can provide Alonso with a championship winning car? Mercedes of course. Possibly Ferrari in 2017. Renault is a dark horse in 2017 hence may turn up with a surprise package for 2017. Williams may not be able to beat the might of Mercedes or Ferrari in 2017, hence may not be attractive to Alonso.

Which drivers are at risk of an Alonso move? I am thinking the following:-

1. Palmer - Renault
    2. Rosberg - Mercedes
    3. Massa - Williams
    4. Raikonen - Ferrari

What do you think?
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 10th March 2016 at 12:05.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Alonso just came out and said that McLaren will be his last team in F1. He'll decide at the end of 2017 whether to continue in F1 or afterwards but he won't be moving from McLaren. Given this statement from him I don't think any of the above are at any risk of an Alonso move as it doesn't appear to be on the cards.

Liked 100 Times in 76 Posts
    He did say Ferrari would be his last team... And well, Kimi did come back to Ferrari, so never say never. Bieber and Alonso or Lewis and Alonso. Fun will be had!

Liked 180 Times in 140 Posts
    Alonso would need Mercedes far more than Mercedes need Alonso. In their current form, they would win the championship with almost every driver on the grid, why would they choose one who brings a lot of unrest and bad publicity (if you consider his remarks about Honda and Ferrari) and maybe even financial disaster (think McLaren)?
    Oct. 31, 1999 - one of the blackest days in motorsports.

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    To be frank, Alonso's chances for 3rd WDC are slim.

For fans it would be exciting, but for a winning team like Mercedes there is no reason to create fireworks. "Don't ruin a winning concept". They kept orchestrating race strategies in late 2015 even after both titles had been secured. So probably they'll be somewhat conservative and prefer to keep Rosberg. "Play it safe".

For Ferrari there is greater reason to look for a new driver in place of Räikkönen... but I have thought that before and they didn't change. Would they like fireworks though? Probably not... Even though they are also pretty conservative and probably would like to sign an experienced driver.

Other than these two teams chances of competing for regular race wins are slim... at best he can compete for podiums. Red Bull seems very set on their own junior drivers... and looking at how good they are, rightfully so.

Renault is pretty much where McLaren-Honda currently is - in the lower midfield. They need to clear the mess left by the Lotus team, increase budget (including engine budget) considerably, and even then it would take years for them to reach anywhere near the front of the field. Renault would be a good option for a young driver, who can sign a 5-year-deal and wait, what happens. But Alonso is not in that position. I don't see, why should he swap one team "at the back of the field" for another, and then wait endlessly?

Williams? Yeah, Alonso would be up there competing for occasional podiums. But that's it.

Bottom line is... I guess Alonso has had a huge reality check and unless the somewhat unlikely move to Mercedes or Ferrari happens, he would probably continue in McLaren - swallowing his pride and just patiently "waiting" if the good things ever come to him...
    Last edited by jens; 12th March 2016 at 13:06.

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    I guess one should feel really gutted about how poor, 30-million euro a year driver and an undisputed team leader in both Renault and Ferrari, hasn't managed to win a third WDC title since 2005. He was so close in 2010 and 2012. Sometimes I am wondering if there will be a seat for him at all after the McLaren contract ends. But at the same time, remember the comeback of Prost in 1993. That was pretty unpredictable.
    Last edited by zako85; 13th March 2016 at 09:35.

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    http://www.espn.com.au/espn/story/_/...-f1-ready-2017
    McLaren expects Stoffel Vandoorne to be F1 ready in 2017
    McLaren CEO Ron Dennis says the team's protégé and reigning GP2 champion Stoffel Vandoorne will be ready for F1 in 2017.

Vandoorne dominated last year's GP2 season on route to the title but was unable to secure a drive on the grid, with McLaren retaining Jenson Button alongside Fernando Alonso. At the end of this year several big-name drivers are out of contract, including Button, Nico Rosberg, Kimi Raikkonen and Valtteri Bottas, setting up a potentially hectic driver market.

Dennis says McLaren is following a very considered path with Vandoorne, who will compete in Japan's Super Formula this season, and is eyeing up a spot for him on the next year's grid.
    VERSTAPPEN: ‘If I’d let Sainz past, dad would’ve kicked me in the nuts!’

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Ron kicking off silly season early Should be a more interesting one than last year. More than likely this could be the last season for Button and/or Kimi. I'll be sad to see either of them go, but the new talent has to be brought through.

On the other hand maybe Button and Kimi are bulletproof. Button's been half-way to the retirement home twice already, while Kimi did actually get the boot, yet both are still here!

Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts
    With Max Verstapenn also out of contract next year, l expect him to move to a top team if he manages to finish this season as he has started it. It seems like there is going to be a massive shake up in 2017 with lots of changes to driver lineup and surprise exit for some drivers. I think it could also affect drivers with contracts for the 2017 season. I also think that some big names like Button, Raikonnen, Massa and maybe even Rosberg could be affected. Other drivers vulnerable to this shake up may include Kyvat, Palmer or Magnussen.

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Although I believe that Alonso still has the talent and ability to take a championship, I also believe that the teams that have (or may have) championship winning cars would rather stick with what they've got (or can get), rather than take him on *and his baggage*. I'm wondering if Maxie Verstappen isn't going down that same road. While he obviously has loads of talent, at least on the released radio transmissions, he comes off like a petulant 7 year old much of the time.

I'm guessing that Alonso finishes out his time in F1 at McLaren and ends up partnering with Vandoorne next season. Personally, I'd love to see Button transition over to Williams. He's got some age on him, but versus (overrated) Bottas, I think Button would bring something more to the team. I just wonder how motivated he still is. And I wonder if his sudden divorce didn't have something to do with her expectation that he was going to retire?

But one thing is relatively certain: this coming silly season is going to be the best that we've seen in a long, long time.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith