Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Should Bourdais be in F1?

I find it almost criminal that this talented (I wish I could say 'young' - but he's 28 now!) frenchman has never been given a proper opportunity to crack F1. Especially when you see the likes of Sutil and Monteiro getting race seats, and the likes of Sato, who after disappointing years at Jordon, then at BAR was still able to get a drive.

Without taking anything away from the likes of Rosberg, and Heikki, who are both talented drivers, but Bourdais has achieved a lot more outside of F1, and won the former GP2 series F3000, yet apart from a drive at Arrows which fell through when Arrows went bankrupt, he hasn’t been given a proper opportunity I think unfortunately for him, he wasn’t prepared to let Flavio take all his money, and was therefore never given a chance at Renault, which for a Frenchman, at the time, seemed inevitable.

His record in Champcar, even if it's not what it was is mighty impressive. He must be close to breaking all previous records no? I am not a huge follower of Champcar, so can't comment too much, but when I do watch it, it reminds me of the dominance that Schumacher had here, and Loeb is currently enjoying in the WRC, and Rossi in the MotoGP!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    money talks? :P
    RIP Marco Simoncelli

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    He definitely should be in F1 by now, but the French connection was cut of by The Sweaty Italian!
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by raphael123
    His record in Champcar, even if it's not what it was is mighty impressive. He must be close to breaking all previous records no?
    Yes, he should be given the opportunity. I think he would be at least on the pace if not quicker than a Heidfeld or Webber and other drivers that currently occupy top and/or improving teams.

To answer your question, (Excluding statistics previous to 1979 in the USAC days), Michael Andretti has won the most CART/ChampCar races (42 race wins from 309 starts - that name isn't too promising for an F1 aspirant). Sebastian has 25 wins from 62 starts, also being the only driver since Ted Horn in the late 1940's to win three consecutive major AOWR titles and at the moment he looks like going one better. He would break every notable CART/ChampCar record if he was around there for another 3 - 5 years.

So yes I think he should be given an F1 ride. He is talent that is just sitting there. F1 teams would be best to get him before he expires... not that that mattered in Damon Hill's case.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malllen
    Yes, he should be given the opportunity. I think he would be at least on the pace if not quicker than a Heidfeld or Webber and other drivers that currently occupy top and/or improving teams.

To answer your question, (Excluding statistics previous to 1979 in the USAC days), Michael Andretti has won the most CART/ChampCar races (42 race wins from 309 starts - that name isn't too promising for an F1 aspirant). Sebastian has 25 wins from 62 starts, also being the only driver since Ted Horn in the late 1940's to win three consecutive major AOWR titles and at the moment he looks like going one better. He would break every notable CART/ChampCar record if he was around there for another 3 - 5 years.

So yes I think he should be given an F1 ride. He is talent that is just sitting there. F1 teams would be best to get him before he expires... not that that mattered in Damon Hill's case.
    Wow, are there fewer races per year or something? I knew his success rate was high, but that is incredibly high! I don't know if it's still the case, but Justin Wilson was doing a decent job over there wasn't he?

I'd love to see Bourdais given a chance - however, like Wheldon, I don't think he'd leave America where he is regarded as the No1, to drive a Spyker. It'd have to be a big team. Maybe if Toyota finally dropped Ralf or Trulli they could bring in Bourdais! If Flavio wasn't boss at Renault, I'm pretty sure he would have had a good chance of getting that drive instead of Heikki, or even replacing Fisi next year, but that seems to be going to Piquet unless Heikki messes so they keep Fisi, or Fisi suddenly becomes World Championship material.

Yes, Damon Hill didn't start in F1 till, 30 was it? However I think those days are long gone now. I think you can do a decent job, but unless you jump straight into a top team with a top car, entering F1 at that age doesn't give you much time to find yourself in a top car, and have the experience needed to win the title.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    he will be in f1 next year driving for STR!

but he wont win the ChampCar World Series this year, no no that will go to Will Power

Trust me i know these things
    Sir! While I disagree with what you are saying, I will fight to the death your right to spell the words incorerctly and use heinous.. grammar yo !!!

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by millencolin
    he will be in f1 next year driving for STR!

but he wont win the ChampCar World Series this year, no no that will go to Will Power

Trust me i know these things
    Where's your source regarding him driving for STR. I'm surprised - they are hardly going to set the world a light. RedBull would be a possibility though maybe? I'm guessing Bourdais is known by american motorsport fans? Therefore RedBull may be tempted to bring him in alongside Webber, to replace the retiring DC. Just a thought.

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by raphael123
    Wow, are there fewer races per year or something? I knew his success rate was high, but that is incredibly high! I don't know if it's still the case, but Justin Wilson was doing a decent job over there wasn't he?

I'd love to see Bourdais given a chance - however, like Wheldon, I don't think he'd leave America where he is regarded as the No1, to drive a Spyker. It'd have to be a big team. Maybe if Toyota finally dropped Ralf or Trulli they could bring in Bourdais! If Flavio wasn't boss at Renault, I'm pretty sure he would have had a good chance of getting that drive instead of Heikki, or even replacing Fisi next year, but that seems to be going to Piquet unless Heikki messes so they keep Fisi, or Fisi suddenly becomes World Championship material.

Yes, Damon Hill didn't start in F1 till, 30 was it? However I think those days are long gone now. I think you can do a decent job, but unless you jump straight into a top team with a top car, entering F1 at that age doesn't give you much time to find yourself in a top car, and have the experience needed to win the title.
    Hill made his debut for the back of the grid Brabham team (and was testing for Williams) in the year he turned 32. So that's like an undistinguished driver joining F1 this year who is Ralf Schumacher's age! :\ But that's another story.

There are currently (and have been around) 14 races in the ChampCar season since 2004 (there was 19 races in 2003). Justin Wilson mounted a decent enough title challenge last year, inheriting 2nd place when Allmendinger who got 5 wins that season announced he was off to NASCAR (don't ask me about '05 - I wasn't watching then), but has won 3 races in 43 starts - I'm starting to get the impression he is sinking into the CCWS mid-field though (that's my impression from results as I don't have coverage).

I would be pretty happy if Bourdais replaced Coulthard for next year, supposing DC is dropped. STR had Bourdais do a three-day test in the off-season sometime... In the three days he was on the pace of Liuzzi and had beaten the time of speed, and Berger said he would be interested - or something along those lines.

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    There are many drivers who should be in F1 but are not. There are only 22 slots right now and some of the lower places are taken up by pay drivers. Sato is in F1 although Honda fired him because there would have been one helluva backlash in Japan if he wan't - so Honda helped form the Super Aguri team to keep him in F1. Albers and Sutil are pay drivers, Liuzzi and Speed, well I don't know,; Liuzzi is supposed to be good, and Speed I don't know.

But there are only limited seats in F1.
    When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
    I don't know why SB would even consider a move to a **** team in F1. His life is quite good now and the team is quite professional. Now is Spyker or Torro really upped his salary then perhaps. But I don't thiink either of these teams would match his current salary.
    Obama to Biden - "Let the Welfare checks rain upon the Earth - I am going to a barbecue"