Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    This knock-out shuffle qualifying will be delayed , it seems , as the software to run it is too complicated to get ready in time for the first GP .
    Thank dog .

I don't really understand the point of it's introduction to begin with .
    Were there a lot of people disgruntled about the qualifying as it was ?
    Did I miss something ?

Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IceMan_PJN View Post
    I will never approve of punishing success. That's the opposite of sport. The people that do best deserve their success. I don't like the idea of rewarding mediocrity. If we took ideas of handicaps for success from motorsport and applied similar ideas to ball sports, teams that score lots of points or win lots of games would have to play with lead shoes or wearing backpacks full of bricks to give the sucky teams a chance at being gifted an undeserved "win".

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Some would say that F1 has a long history of punishing success. Mclaren, Ferrari, Williams, Red Bull have all been dominant at some point in the past 30 years. How did their dominant periods end?

Is there really a difference between success being punished based on the results of a season rather than a single race?

F1 in no way can be considered a "pure" sport when we consider that teams are restricted by rules and regulations.

F1 doesn't punish success per se but it may over compensate it for a period and then it might kick it totally to the kerb once the mood changes.

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    This knock-out shuffle qualifying will be delayed , it seems , as the software to run it is too complicated to get ready in time for the first GP .
    So management made a commitment to do something, before asking the people who will actually have to do it whether it can even be done. Dumb, but sadly not unusual.

Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts
    Thank dog .

Did I miss something ?
    You didn't miss anything buddy, its another Bernie thats all

Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    Thank dog .

Did I miss something ?
    I'm thinking that the point is not to do with qualifying, but to do with the race; what the rules will do is throw a bunch of unpredictability into the outcome of the qualifying, in that faster qualifiers will get caught out by the process at least occasionally and grid much lower than they would do in a straight qualification run, hence causing lots of additional overtaking during the race as that gets sorted out. Therefore: Excitement! Unpredictability! This is what I'm reading into reports about the thinking behind it, anyway.

I think the organizers have misunderstood the problem. The identified problem is predictability. The mistake is in thinking that this can be solved by throwing in a bunch of random curveballs that make the races more unpredictable, when what we really want is more competitiveness, and those two things are not the same.

Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
    Thank dog .

Did I miss something ?
    I see everything through the prism of gambling platforms as it is the reality of modern sport - some would say unfortunate reality.

If we consider the routine dominance of a single team in any one year throughout F1's history, making qualifying a random or uncertain event becomes possibly the best way for F1 to attract a large volume of gambling transactions.

Modern gambling is online and in-play. It is on such ridiculous events such as "Will the goalie jump left or right" as a kicker lines up a penalty. If F1 qualifying can attract sufficient transactions through its introduction of "next" events and other uncertainties, then qualifying opens up a potential new revenue stream.

I may be completely off the mark, and broadcast rights may continue to be the big earner for F1, but every dollar counts these days and the gambling dollar is a particularly tasty one.

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    ...competitiveness....
    Competitiveness in a constructors’ series is unfeasible.
    The aim of a constructors’ series is, and always has been, domination. This has been demonstrated, by one team or another, since the inception of formula 1.
    Competiveness will be achieved only in a spec series where equipment is all pretty much equal.
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts
    Ok it looks like the drivers have spoken out against this sham.

Look at Nico, he looks like he is about to go off like a neutron bomb

We felt that it could be very complicated for the fans to understand -- it's complicated for us already. We also felt that qualifying is really good at the moment and there is no reason to change that."
    Amen brother, amen!

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/...ifying-changes
    May the forza be with you

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Its not complicated for fans. Makes us sound like idiots, but it's not needed. The system we have now is fine.

I cant see why all of a sudden they think its not entertaining enough?? Its like they need to change it just to tinker.

I was happy enough with the full qualifying hour and maybe give drivers more than 12 laps to decrease the early minutes being deserted.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13 View Post
    Its not complicated for fans. Makes us sound like idiots, but it's not needed. The system we have now is fine.

I cant see why all of a sudden they think its not entertaining enough?? Its like they need to change it just to tinker.

I was happy enough with the full qualifying hour and maybe give drivers more than 12 laps to decrease the early minutes being deserted.
    I don't think it's about making qualifying more entertaining; it's about introducing a randomising factor to mix up the grid and make the race more entertaining. (For certain values of "entertaining.")

Although Whyzars' gambling theory has a ring of plausibility about it too.