Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/35723676

Seems like this new elimination qualifying is going to be happening in Melbourne.

Personally I'd still prefer the current format but doing away with Q" and going straight to the top 10.
    Time is the enemy.

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    I don't think it's about making qualifying more entertaining; it's about introducing a randomising factor to mix up the grid and make the race more entertaining. (For certain values of "entertaining.")
    So skip qualifying altogether and have random grids then? It's completely pointless, it's not even like the current format is that bad. You don't have the 40 minutes of Minardi (like the old 60 minute, 12 lap format), you don't have the tedium of 1 car on track at a time, there's no rubbish with cars running race fuel for the whole run, it's interesting, often reasonably exciting and produces an honest grid. If they want random grids then there really is no point in qualifying.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

3. Likes: Tazio (5th March 2016)
    Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJan View Post
    So skip qualifying altogether and have random grids then? It's completely pointless, it's not even like the current format is that bad. You don't have the 40 minutes of Minardi (like the old 60 minute, 12 lap format), you don't have the tedium of 1 car on track at a time, there's no rubbish with cars running race fuel for the whole run, it's interesting, often reasonably exciting and produces an honest grid. If they want random grids then there really is no point in qualifying.
    This is really spot on. MrJan
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yes. Might as well pull names out of a hat to form the grid.

I have a question...
    Suppose a driver has not posted a time that is quick enough to stay in or advance, however is on a hot lap that winds up being good enough to continue but the time expires before he crosses the line?

This new format is so dumb!

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emporer_k View Post
    Personally I'd still prefer the current format but doing away with Q" and going straight to the top 10.

Superpole.

- friday free practice
    - two timed qualifying practices
    - Everyone gets two laps by themselves in first to last running order then last to first.

Watching single competitors in bobsled at the Winter Olympics is fine; so why not F1?
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    So , it's going to happen , eh ?

We know they had worries about the system not being ready .
    Now , they are going ahead .

If it doesn't work for some reason , how will they determine the grid ?
    Last year's order doesn't seem too fair , or satisfying .
    Last year's system on Sunday morning would require having extra tires on hand .

Even if it does work , I figure there will be a stream of protesting coming as people try to figure out what the hell is going on . We may not know who's where until Sunday , anyway , even if we don't have to re-do qualifying .

8. Likes: Tazio (5th March 2016)
    Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    I figure there will be a stream of protesting coming as people try to figure out what the hell is going on
    Yep, I guarantee that Adelaide qualy is an absolute shitshow
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts
    Claire Williams:
    "The Strategy Group voted it through, on which I obviously sit and I voted for it. I think it’s really important to remember the whole purpose of looking at qualifying was to try and shake up the grid to go into the race and make races a little bit more exciting.
    They are scared to death that Mercedes will run away with it this year. This is supposed to be competition, where is the dignity?
    May the forza be with you

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    What we need to make the racing better is to open up the design rules a bit, reduce aero for everyone or just hope someone does a better job so they can match and beat Mercedes. Bit unfair to punish a team for success. Been the same with Ferrari and Red Bull over the years. Too easy to dominate F1

Sent from my GT-I9301I using Tapatalk
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
    Yep, I guarantee that Adelaide qualy is an absolute shitshow
    It will only be a problem if a team strategist doesn't realise that their drivers are on the cusp of being eliminated from qualifying.

Rather than a group of 5 drivers being knocked out, they are going to knock out one driver every 90 secs. That is a new betting market being kicked off and settled every 90 seconds.

Sport sees a phenomenal amount of betting action these days and organisers either manage it and take the revenue or ignore it and lose their rights to the revenue. It is not going away. Tennis has been battling against it for years. Professional gamblers even pay people to sit in the stands with mobile phones to overcome broadcast delays. The closest thing to compare online sports gambling to is a stock market.

Everything is telling me that this may be a "bookmaker friendly" innovation and nothing to do with competition. The fastest car should still qualify first, the changes are in the way field position is decided. Instead of doing it as a block of 5, they now do it singularly and evenly spaced - to allow a betting market to be set and then paid out - for each grid spot.

I guess we'll find out once the race rolls around - especially if the drivers come out and say how wonderful they think the new qualifying is.