Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts

Thoughts on Barcelona Testing

If anyone is having doubts that Mercedes are going to be mighty this season, Hamilton's 156 laps has scrubbed any doubts. No other team managed to get to the hundred mark due to gremlins and niggly little issues. The Mercedes seem to have the most reliable car on the grid at the mo. The Ferrari seemed to be showing some frailty with only 69 laps but looking definitely quick. It is early days, we have to see what the next few days unfold.

I suspect Mercedes are going to show the true pace of the car around day 3 or 4. Then we would be able to gauge how close Ferrari really is. I am happy to see the Mclaren looking stronger than last year. Reliability seem to have improved markedly. The Mclaren has racked up more laps than the Ferrari and the Williams and is running solidly two seconds behind the best time of the day. This is bound to be a great start upon which to build on this season for Mclaren.

It is looking like a difficult day for Haas and Renault at the moment with around thirty laps each. Haas has had a tougher day with a failed front wing but seemed fine on pace. The Manor is ahead of the Haas on the timesheet with also more laps at 54. I suppose we could say that Manor has the psychological advantage at this time. It would be fascinating to see Wehrlein duking it with the more experienced Grosjean come Melbourne.
    Similarly, the Williams is ahead of the Force India on the timesheet with nearly 30 laps more running. While we cannot tell much on the relative pace of the Force india to the Williams in the hands of the rookie Celis, we can deduce at this point that the Williams seem more reliable at this early stage, which is a plus. It is also interesting to see that the Williams ran an identical time as the Redbull. The Redbull is looking good with its Renault; ahem Tag Heuer engine.

Maybe we shall get an idea of the pecking order by day 3 of the testing. The 2016 season of F1 racing opens in some style.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 22nd February 2016 at 19:35.

Liked 193 Times in 131 Posts
    Compared to last years first testing, the most is the same. Except for MacLaren, happy for them.

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    McLaren are between 10 and 15km/h slower than Der Silberpfeil. Not much appears to have changed for them... except that its possible that Yasuhisa Arai and Honda may have parted company.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 192 Times in 174 Posts
    McLaren finishing both cars in the points would be a great thing to begin the year. Don't expect much else.

Its only been 2 days though but we all knew deep inside that Hamilton will win the title again anyway.
    Tito Vilanova = :champion:

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    I'm a Hamilton fan and I can't say that I feel overly confident of that being the case, Storm. But I'm glad that I don't have that level of confidence, because I'm SO looking forward to this season! If Hamilton starts off walking the dog on the field, that's going to make it pretty boring. I'll still watch every race though!
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    Liked 156 Times in 153 Posts
    It's a little hard to draw any conclusions from these tests because there's always the possibility that someone is sandbagging but it does look like Hass will at least not be the dog of the field and that, hopefully, Manor won't be crowding the 107 percent rule.
    This is my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking

Liked 192 Times in 174 Posts
    Nobody is sandbagging...except Mercedes maybe haha, nobody can afford not to test properly and not go at full pelt.
    I'd like to be proved wrong
    Tito Vilanova = :champion:

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    According to Eric Boullier yesterday, everyone is sandbagging
    Not necessarily to fool anyone, but due to the nature of testing. They have a sandbag's worth of extra sensors on the car for starters. Teams will be running different fuel loads. They may be focusing on A-B comparison of parts rather than optimising the performance of tha car around either part A or part B. Just generally working on development rather than set-up. Lots of reasons why most are not truly revealing their potential performance. Probably towards the end of next week we'll see what they can really do.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    Nobody is sandbagging...except Mercedes maybe haha, nobody can afford not to test properly and not go at full pelt.
    I'd like to be proved wrong
    Whenever I try and race around a karting track or do a driving day I am always sandbagging. I am not just slow honest
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    I haven't deepend too much into testing, but overall... yeah looks like same old same old. Would like to yawn! Predicting F1 has never been as easy as it is now.

Mercedes at the front.
    Ferrari #2. Unclear, how much behind. It could vary. On some circuits close(ish), on some circuits far off.

Then it becomes more unclear.
    I gather that Force India is pretty highly rated. But they are an underfunded team and if you look at history, they usually perform well only for half a year. Red Bull and Williams should be thereabouts as well.

McLaren-Honda, err... yeah, better not talk about them as per usual. Though they should be a bit better obviously, but that's a minor consolation.

Haas actually I have to admit has perhaps exceeded expectations. They are still going to be near the rear end of the field, but could be within striking distance of established teams. Guess the Ferrari help with all the gadgets and car parts has been enormous - otherwise it would be impossible for a new team to start out well.