Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts

Mercedes W07 2016 car

The lines of the Mercedes W07 is very similar to the Ferrari lines incidentally, but but quite as compact at the rear as the SF16-H. The chassis design have smooth sweeping lines that avoids and sharp angular points which is very pleasing to behold. The color scheme adopts the traditional silver with the Petronas minty green combination. The W07 also has a shadow of black on the lower extremities of the chassis and at the ends of the from and rear wings. I am not sure what this is suppose to mean as Mercedes do not do things for the sake of it. But we shall find out in time l think. [Click to enlarge]

Like the Redbull, the Mercedes is predictably loyal to the silver arrow brand color scheme. But what is lost to us at this stage are the aerodynamic features of the car. The element of the front wing that has changed or the characteristics of the rear wing. One thing that would be noticeable is the new configuration of the exhaust pipe which takes takes the form of a three pipe layout. The merc now spots one large exhaust pipe with two other smaller pipes. This configuration now gives the Mercedes engine a must fatter and deeper engine sound. Much louder than the 2015 car. The Ferrari SF16 has a two pipe configuration, one large pipe and a smaller one. The larger pipe exhausts combustion byproducts directly from the engine. The smaller pipes are for the turbos which may be layed out in a two or single pipe configuration in the regulations for 2016. Another thing to notice, is the secondary air aperture just infront of the normal side pods and behind the front wheels. I wonder what this is for. Also, the vertical vanes on either side of the side pod now have an element the curves over the side pods. It would seem to control or eliminate air turbulence heading from the front end to the rear of the car. The W07 may have the most advanced aerodynamic efficiency on the grid, but we would have to see if the Ferrari SF16-H with is compact rear matches up to the W07.

The Merc looks great and would likely be the car to beat this season. But the Ferrari would be much closer if not on par this season. Hence, the Mercedes operation would need to be at it best this season for them not to gift Ferrari an opportunity to steal one of the titles (Constructors and driver) this year.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 23rd February 2016 at 21:15.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Looks a nice car.

I think they will win both titles again, but I hope Ferrari continue their progress to make it a great fight. If they can steal a title its much more likely to be the drivers. As Vettel is so good. Maybe Kimi will falter again.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    I tried googling for some more pictures of the Mercedes W07 but all I got was this:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merced...2.80.931938.29
    Favoured by Hitler, Emperor Hirohito and Pope Pius XI apparently!

What are those things sticking out either side of the airbox intake? They look pretty big if they're camera housings.

Edit: after a couple of hours of testing they've done twice as many laps as anyone else. Ominous!
    Last edited by AndyL; 22nd February 2016 at 11:22.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    I tried googling for some more pictures of the Mercedes W07 but all I got was this:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merced...2.80.931938.29
    Favoured by Hitler, Emperor Hirohito and Pope Pius XI apparently!

What are those things sticking out either side of the airbox intake? They look pretty big if they're camera housings.

Edit: after a couple of hours of testing they've done twice as many laps as anyone else. Ominous!
    Aye, this an unfortunately association to the former dictator. I think that this is going to be an interesting year. I think that Ferrari will challenge Mercedes. Whether or not Ferrari manage to steal the march on them is too early to tell but I'm very excited to see the outcome as I think it will be exceptionally close and possibly the closest title battle we've seen since 07/08. I know 12 was a close battle but realistically that was more Alonso wizardry than car machinery.