Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    The answer is in aerodynamics.

Look at MotoGP for example. Any MotoGP race that is F1 length would still be interesting, whereas a time basis for F1 wouldn't change anything.

Maybe if F1 banned over-car winglets and promoted ground-effects maybe we'd see a difference in racing. Hell, stick that bloody wooden plank on top of the car if it makes great racing!

I agree with Briatore that F1 should be about entertainment first. And the fact is that good racing makes good entertainment. In comparison to other major racing series' around the globe, F1 is a bit of a step behind in the racing aspect, unfortunately. Casual viewers who don't care about the historical status/importance of F1 watch for the racing, and continuously seeing cars maintain a 6-second or so gap for more than 25 laps isn't everybody's (especially not my) opinion of great racing.

Call me a pessimist, but seeing something like the Bahrain GP 2007 hailed as a "great motorsport event" seems stupid to me.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 555-04Q2
    Indeed But if it improves the racing, records are not a major factor for me. Records that count in my book anyway are WDC and race wins.

The points accumaulated and races won during the "sprint race" dont have to be featured in the record books for a drivers career wins and points collection. Only the "feature race" points and wins can be recorded to protect records if you want, but that creates a whole lot of problems in itself.
    Yes, why would you not count the Sprint races? If you don't want to count them as important enough to go into the record books, why have them at all?

If its improving racing you want, then there are other alternatives such as aerodynamics of the cars. However if all your interested in is racing, there are many more motorsport series with a lot of action and more excitment. Have you ever considered trying those out?

PS: I think History is quite important. It gives us something to compare one generation with another, and what they have achieved. It'd be a shame if what the drivers of today achieved couldn't be compared against what the guys in the 50's to 80's achieved.

Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malllen
    The answer is in aerodynamics.
    We all know that. The problem is the men who count dont seem to want to change the regs. Another problem is teams have invested heavily in aero research, wind tunnels etc and would not be happy if their large investments were no longer required.
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

Quote Originally Posted by raphael123
    If its improving racing you want, then there are other alternatives such as aerodynamics of the cars.
    Agreed See post #23
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

Yes, why would you not count the Sprint races? If you don't want to count them as important enough to go into the record books, why have them at all?
    1. The regs are not going to change due to teams investment in aero research and the stupidity of Max, Bernie etc. I see no other way to improve the racing besides changing aero regs.
    2. The sprint race is to provide a bit of entertainment for us, the viewing public.
    3. By not counting the sprint race, you will protect the records that you want to keep intact by only officially recording the feature race results in the history books.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    I think Sprint races would be a sh!t idea. I think F1 should try and stick to it's tradition. Qualifying on Saturday, Race on Sunday.
    I know its cliche, but I miss the old 12 laps in 1hr qualie - even if it was boring for the first few minutes. And I miss the fact Schumacher could be the quickest guy on the Saturday, but after Sunday's morning practice session, Hakkinen could have finally found his sweet spot in set up, and he was the quickest guy. I don't like the parc ferme rules at all to be honest.

I know its cliche, but I miss the old 12 laps in 1hr qualie - even if it was boring for the first few minutes.
    I was also a big fan of the old quali system

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 555-04Q2
    Another problem is teams have invested heavily in aero research, wind tunnels etc and would not be happy if their large investments were no longer required.
    What'd be the difference? the rules change every year (or sooner) anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Malllen
    What'd be the difference? the rules change every year (or sooner) anyway!
    Rules change, yes, but wind tunnels are still used. Imagine if your 300 million dollar wind tunnel suddenly became obsolete due to aero regs changes. Teams would not be impressed hence there has been no change in making aero less of a factor in F1.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    You can have aerodynamics in F1, and have close racing. So the windtunnels would still be of use.