Just read that Briatore has suggested that a race weekend could be spiced up by following a similar flavour as A1GP in which you could have 2 races (a sprint and a feature) at each race weekend:

In an interview with German publication Auto Motor und Sport, the flamboyant Italian says he would like to see the sport reinvent itself by staging two races per Grand Prix weekend.

Briatore envisions a 45 minute sprint race in the morning following by a one hour timed event in the afternoon. The sprint race would act as a qualifier for the afternoon race with the top eight finishers starting in inverse order for the second event.

As well, Briatore says points would count for both races

http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_s...me=auto_racing
Well, I must say this can't be the first Idea for an F1 weekend I truly despise, but it did get me thinking, what if they replace qualifying with a sprint race, and gave out points for that? And the starting positions for the sprint race made up from the best times from the 3 practices, and then have the finishing results of the saturday sprint race dictate the starting positions for the Sunday race, which would be of normal distance...

OK, now I know I read way to much into that article :