Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts

Lightbulb Team Williams in 2007

So. What do you think, how good prospects does Williams have this season? Last year, as you remember, they started well, but gradually dropped backwards. Will this happen this season again? The situation this season is better due to the fact that they are not running with engines from private engine manufacturer. Cosworth was one of the best engines at the start of last season and one of the worst ones at the end. So the competitiveness of Williams chassis deteriorated together with engine performance. Now with Toyota engine and engine freeze rule there shouldn't be much changes in engine performances, but still... Williams is not as well-funded as their main rivals. Williams seems to have used the same tactic that Renault (the smallest budgeted factory team) used for many years - most of the resources were put into early car development phase and winter testing, which resulted in decent competitiveness at the start, but later noted a step backwards. The strategy seems quite right as it's vital to have a decent racing car for the start of the season than to try to fix problems later (like Honda), when there is not much left to save from a season. But back to Williams - what do you think, how can they maintain their current form and defend their position from the possible attacks of Red Bull and Honda?

Can Williams stay in the Constructors' Top6 till the end of the season?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Its going to be tough for them to maintain their form for the whole season against the bigger teams, but at least they have long term stability with Toyota on board which should help. One problem last year was the fact that they were changing engines at the end of the season, so they probably started to focus on the 2007 season early on at the sacrifice of finishing 2006 strongly.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    They seem to have sorted out the reliability problems that ruined their season last year, which will give them a better chance to develope the car as they arent chasing gearbox/hydrolics/radiator problems like they were all of last year. I expect that Red Bull will pass them, but I can see themina a tough fight with Renault and Toyota for at least the next few races.

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Hate to say it but it all comes down to aero, especially now with engine homologation.

Williams have managed to build a good chassis but their aero has been their achilles heel.

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    I thought it was their reliability last year.
    When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    I think Williams have regrouped strongly after last year and are now mixing it with the 'works' Toyotas, which is impressive after only three races with the new engine. Time will tell if their performance fades as the season goes on, but I don't see anything yet to suggest it will, and while their budget may not be the biggest, it will probably be managed better than most of the teams on the grid.

In summary, talk of a Williams decline and fall has been greatly exaggerated!
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I hope you are right Arrows because I'd love to see them back on top.
    There WAS nothing like rallying, Superrally is a joke!

LW Master!!!:champion:

Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1
    I think Williams have regrouped strongly after last year and are now mixing it with the 'works' Toyotas, which is impressive after only three races with the new engine. Time will tell if their performance fades as the season goes on, but I don't see anything yet to suggest it will, and while their budget may not be the biggest, it will probably be managed better than most of the teams on the grid.

In summary, talk of a Williams decline and fall has been greatly exaggerated!
    I think Williams this year seems very well managed, but lack of money will catch up soon with them and they will fall back, unfortunately. I find it quite funny actually how a team with a budget as Toyota is getting beaten by a team using the same engine, which has a budget probably 5 times smaller.
    "signature room for rent"

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Donney
    I hope you are right Arrows because I'd love to see them back on top.
    Me too.
    When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Walker
    I think Williams this year seems very well managed, but lack of money will catch up soon with them and they will fall back, unfortunately. I find it quite funny actually how a team with a budget as Toyota is getting beaten by a team using the same engine, which has a budget probably 5 times smaller.
    As I said, its gonna come down to aero, not money or resources.

Williams have the foundations in place. Last year there was a worry over sponsorship but they've secured the likes of AT&T so the next few years is relatively safe.

They've managed to build a tidy chassis, but as with most teams, they've never made huge gains from the wind tunnel by mid-season.

Williams really needed a manufacturer engine. No disrespect to Cosworth, they were never going to compete with the big boys over a course of a season.