Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Liked 72 Times in 43 Posts
    Interesting to see where Abdulaziz Al-Kuwari will fit within the ERC crews. As we are used to see him on WRC2 and MERC.
    I suppose his presence as something to do with last year's invitation of Nasser Al-Attiyah.(it was recorded on video) At the time, he said he would do the Azores rally next year.(this year)

Liked 3,794 Times in 1,687 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    Tarabus won't start. I posted that already once on page 1. Also Orsák? Maybe but I would be very surprised.
    Tarabus will not start for sure. I have send official excuse one week ago.

Liked 3,297 Times in 1,736 Posts
    Kajto about Acores - I have an affection for many rallies, I like a lot of rallies very much, but I miss driving in the Azores not just after coming back to Poland, but already when we cross the ceremonial finish ramp at the end of this event. If you want to see this sport in a nutshell and learn as much as possible during a single rally, you should visit or compete in the Azores. On this small but picturesque island of São Miguel we face changeable grip levels on volcanic gravel, we check the precision of driving on narrow roads, we experience the capricious weather and test the accuracy of our pace notes, required when we drive at high speed into thick fog. This is when long hours of training and litres of sweat in the gym pay off – I need such preparation, so that my body could work fast and hard, and my brain could maintain focus on the highest revs. Fierce competition in these conditions is a very tasty feast for the fans. It is great that thanks to the efforts of partners and members of the LOTOS Rally Team I can fight for victory in the amazing scenery of the Azores. Together with other competitors we create a spectacular advertisement of the sport which I love so much.

More in Kajto's press release:
    http://kajto.pl/en?i=1&t=news&n=720&...atlantic_ocean
    http://www.rallymadness.prv.pl - rally photos and movies!

4. Likes: janvanvurpa (18th May 2016),RICARDO75 (18th May 2016)
    Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts
    You forget one very important fact...Miguel Campos at that time was in a oficial team Peugeot Portugal and with quite a big budget, Fontes and Moura now Don t have that...Miguel is still fast as it was,but not faster then the guys that are figthing for the first positions in National rallys, sometimes he is faster sometimes slower.
    I agree with you in one thing, no portuguese driver has the conditions to fight for ERC at these days, first because Don t have budget and because they are not used to do rallys out of their country...

Quote Originally Posted by PLuto View Post
    But you were talking about Moura and Fontes. This drivers are for me different level than was Miguel Campos 13 years ago. Of course I remember his campaign in ERC. It was his first season abroad and on some events he was able to be on same speed like Thiry, on some events he was way out. But it was mainly learning season. Pity that this was his only one international season, I think that he had quite big potential in that time...

Kajto is quite different driver. He is thinking about all things and he is very precise. He was doing all his steps very carefully (and was lucky to find correct sponsors). Mainly he was not afraid to go abroad...
    Last edited by PLuto; 18th May 2016 at 14:26. Reason: missing bracket, formating of the message was damaged

Liked 3,794 Times in 1,687 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Power View Post
    It’s not bold Jarek, believe me. Many national rally series in Europe have been recovering after the economic recession. We can see again competitive champs in UK, Italy, Portugal and some other countries, with a bunch of guys fighting hard for the win in any of them, but that’s not the case currently in ERC, with only one guy clearly favorite.

I’ve mentioned Portuguese series top contenders as an example, but in other national series main competitors surely also have enough ability (more than enough in some cases) to became ERC title fighters in its current situation, if they got the chance and a proper program.

Btw, sometimes Ewrc data aren’t enough to get the whole picture. Fontes is one of those hyper talented guys able to win a gravel rally one weekend and be first on a GT or Prototype race the next one. He won every national circuit racing categories before moving to rally and it’s now at the peak of his rally career. Unfortunately, like so many other great Portuguese rally champs, he often has to choose a more tactical approach in home soil international events, sacrificing overall win chances to assure national championship points or get the “best Portuguese in the event" title, overvalued by sponsors and general press.
    Like I wrote, it is difficult to be fast at home field. But it is much more difficult to go abroad and be fast there also. There is lot of very fast drivers in national championship, but not so fast on international events. And there is also lot of drivers who are fast at home and are afraid to go abroad because they should be beaten... And story about budget is the easiest way how to excuse... I know lot of national drivers from the last decade who were really fast at home and they should have no problems with budget to go abroad. But they preferred to stay at home and be king there easily...

Liked 352 Times in 184 Posts
    Like I wrote, it is difficult to be fast at home field. But it is much more difficult to go abroad and be fast there also. There is lot of very fast drivers in national championship, but not so fast on international events. And there is also lot of drivers who are fast at home and are afraid to go abroad because they should be beaten... And story about budget is the easiest way how to excuse... I know lot of national drivers from the last decade who were really fast at home and they should have no problems with budget to go abroad. But they preferred to stay at home and be king there easily...
    This suits perfectly for Raimund Baumschlager.

Quote Originally Posted by Iraquiano View Post
    Interesting to see where Abdulaziz Al-Kuwari will fit within the ERC crews.
    Don't expect too much. Al-Kuwari was competing in ERC in 2012 and his results were miserable.
    http://www.ewrc.cz/ewrc/image_browse.php?id=88463

Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Come on Pluto, neither the inexperience nor the fear (strange word for guys that beat it on every SS) unable top national drives to fight for ERC. Some simply aren’t interested, others can’t get a proper budget and many know they’re no longer at the suitable age to start an international career.

Anyway, I’m hoping for same proper competition from our national bests in Açores. They just need to throw away calculators and show their finest speed at the wheel!
    Rally addict since 1982

Isn't it great that Ford supports young drivers in this way?
    https://www.fiaerc.com/why-m-sport-w...unior-rokland/

12. Likes: Andre Oliveira (18th May 2016)