Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's new?

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts

What's new?

Just read Robin's latest column over at Racer after quite awhile away from anything IndyCar. Doesn't seem like much is new. Same old issue of same old drivers and not much excitement about anything. (Not claiming to know the cure for that, just commenting.) This board used to be pretty active, but that was when there was a lot of variety in cars, engines, teams and drivers. It's been stale for a long time. Still, I want to get excited about the upcoming season. It's just that there is nothing on the horizon to get me there. I'm off for a couple weeks vacation in SA. Maybe there will be new things when I return - then again, maybe not. In which case I'll still be doing SCCA stuff.
    Cheers to all who still read this board from time to time.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    Liked 156 Times in 153 Posts
    Yes, not much new. It would help if they would allow at least a couple of more engines. The Indy track record is 20 years old so that speaks volumes.
    This is my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking

Liked 54 Times in 41 Posts
    A few tidbits i've gathered
    Honda extended for a few more years
    Max Chilton is driving for Ganassi
    The Indy 500 has a title sponsor for the first time with Penn Grade motor oil
    Carpenter Fisher Hartman racing is now just Ed Carpenter racing, which i assume means the end of Sarah Fisher's team owner ship
    and the season gets under way on March 13 at St. Petersburg, then off to Phoenix and then Long Beach.
    I hope everyone will have a save season.
    "Wives live longer than husbands, because they are not married to women" Colin Mochrie - "Whose Line is it anyway?" - The funniest TV show on earth!

Well, there are 22 entries for the first race this Sunday; 10 Chevrolets and 12 Hondas.

Liked 643 Times in 508 Posts
    Interesting race at 1/4 way through. After Juan got past Castranevas, he is slowly reeling in Pagenaud!
    May the forza be with you

Liked 39 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    Just read Robin's latest column over at Racer after quite awhile away from anything IndyCar. Doesn't seem like much is new. Same old issue of same old drivers and not much excitement about anything. (Not claiming to know the cure for that, just commenting.) This board used to be pretty active, but that was when there was a lot of variety in cars, engines, teams and drivers. It's been stale for a long time. Still, I want to get excited about the upcoming season. It's just that there is nothing on the horizon to get me there...... Maybe there will be new things when I return - then again, maybe not. In which case I'll still be doing SCCA stuff.
    Cheers to all who still read this board from time to time.
    I was thinking the same thing after being away from here for months. Habitually pondering "Gosh, 'The 500' is coming up again. Wonder what's in store for this year..." Then I came back to reality, and figured Memorial (raceday) Sunday will be a repeat of Paul Newman's 'Winning' (1969) and what ever 500 I happen to choose from the archives of 20 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_swiss View Post
    A few tidbits i've gathered......

The Indy 500 has a title sponsor for the first time with Penn Grade motor oil
    Well now, that's a new all-time low.

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    We have Tony George to thank for diminishing the excitement and continued growth of Indy Car style open wheel racing.

Thanks again T.G. Your vision was seriously flawed.
    The secret to winning races: More Throttle, Less Brake.

The last really interesting thing that happened at Indy was the 1000 HP Merc in 1994. In 1995, the first car to complete 500 miles (Goodyear) was scored as 14th. In 1996, Davy Jones would have won had he not been intentionally run into the inside wall (team orders as I recall) while leading by a laps down Salazar (even with that, he finished second by just .6 of a second). Then in 1997, the reincarnation of the "junk formula".
    Last edited by Stan Reid; 7th April 2016 at 02:27.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Probably no one on here knows, but is Indycar covered in the UK anymore? I cant seem to find much on TV. Used to be on Sky then Sky F1.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13 View Post
    Probably no one on here knows, but is Indycar covered in the UK anymore? I cant seem to find much on TV. Used to be on Sky then Sky F1.
    It's not really covered well here either. It's on domestic TV, if you have the right cable package, but I have no idea if anyone paid for any foreign broadcast rights. Probably not. Most newspapers these days don't even show results much less a story about the races.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover