Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts

Hamilton - Wehrlein pairing in 2017

I saw this question elsewhere and l thought we should discuss it in this forum.

If Hamilton wins his 4th championship in this 2016 season, is it possible that Merc may dump Rosberg for Wehrlein in 2017 or 2018. It would make sense, as Merc is grooming Wehrlein to become a F1 world Champion in the near future. Giving the rookie the insights into how a champion goes about putting together a campaign for a season would be considered by merc to be an invaluable benefit for their long term plans for Wehrlein.
    This move could also be a first step towards resolving their driver infighting problems by replacing one of their driver with Wehrlein should the need arises.

What do you think?
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 12th February 2016 at 01:18.

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Long term it makes sense. But other short-term factors could come into play. Like how much of a threat from Ferrari they feel in the constructor's championship. They might prefer to stick with Rosberg's experience if constructor's points are critical. Also with big rule changes coming in 2017, again Rosberg's experience could be valuable. Who knows, the 2017 cars might even favour Rosberg's style.
    If we're looking to 2018, then you've got to wonder if Hamilton will still be there. He'll be 33 then, and if he gets another championship or two under his belt in the next couple of years, will he still have the hunger to continue?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    Long term it makes sense. But other short-term factors could come into play. Like how much of a threat from Ferrari they feel in the constructor's championship. They might prefer to stick with Rosberg's experience if constructor's points are critical. Also with big rule changes coming in 2017, again Rosberg's experience could be valuable. Who knows, the 2017 cars might even favour Rosberg's style.
    If we're looking to 2018, then you've got to wonder if Hamilton will still be there. He'll be 33 then, and if he gets another championship or two under his belt in the next couple of years, will he still have the hunger to continue?
    But so is Rosberg, he would be roughly that age as well hence he may still be more vulnerable come 2018.

Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
    Rosberg will make a lovely Massa or Button for someone in the future who needs an experienced driver who has won a few races and knows how a top team works.
    "I" before "E" except after "C". Weird.

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    That's very possible. But I think a lot depends on how all three do this season. If Wehrlein performs extremely well at Manor, he could set his future in motion. If he doesn't, or if he's just mediocre, then who knows? If Lewis has a melt down or continues playing jet set playboy away from the track, and Rosberg takes the WDC in convincing fashion this year, then I think that will make Mercedes' future plans very complicated. But if Rosberg performs poorly, while the other two have blazing seasons, then I think Nico will be toast. They might give him a one year extension to take him to the end of 2017 or they could drop him and just slot Wehrlein in next year... IF he goes total dud this season.

And on top of how Lewis and Nico perform against each other, if Ferrari really does have what it takes this year, I think Mercedes will keep whoever seems able to take the fight to Ferrari. I see Mercedes being less patient with Nico's tendency to choke and Lewis' desire to party if Ferrari starts taking victories in 2016. The last two years may have spoiled both of them a bit. We'll see.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 180 Times in 140 Posts
    I could well imagine Nico going back to Williams after the end of Massa's contract.
    Oct. 31, 1999 - one of the blackest days in motorsports.

I suppose, this question become more complicated when you add Alonso to the mix.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 13th March 2016 at 22:12.

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Pascal Wehrlein's Manor Move Shows Mercedes Have Best Young Driver Program in F1
    what a load of B**l SH88
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...-program-in-f1

The clincher? Not just Wehrlein's "talent and hunger," as team owner Stephen Fitzpatrick told Manor's official Facebook page, but the revised terms offered by Mercedes, which included a financial package of up to €6 million and access to the two-time world champions' "50 per cent windtunnel facility," according to Autosport's Ian Parkes.

Mercedes' unflinching determination to secure Wehrlein's place at Manor, where he will race alongside Haryanto, and ensure the German's career maintains a linear trajectory was indicative of the belief the Silver Arrows have in his potential.

And it also proved Mercedes have the best young-driver program in F1—simply by not having a young-driver program, per se.
    VERSTAPPEN: ‘If I’d let Sainz past, dad would’ve kicked me in the nuts!’

Liked 1,068 Times in 599 Posts
    Hmm... Mercedes have a good pairing that have won both titles two years in a row. Nico isn't that old. I can't see them making any moves.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    But they may want a German to win the title. Maybe they feel Nice ain't the German to do it.

Sent from my GT-I9301I using Tapatalk
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy