Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
    If Merc are still as dominant this year, anyone else think they might give Nico the boost he needs to clinch his first WDC?

Hammy has had his glory, I have a hunch that its Nicos turn this year.

You read it here first.
    Would Merc risk losing Hamilton just to give Rosberg a leg up? It would be the daftest managerial decision in recent time that would. Probably 2nd to Mclaren introducing a new car when they already had a dominant car in 2009.

Some things that may make this 2016 season interesting can be summarized as follows:

1. Ferrari closing up to Mercedes - Vettel harrassing the Mercedes pair and stealling wins when Merc or its drivers drop the ball.
    2. increased choice of tyre compounds for the teams. Strategy is slightly more diverse now as different teams could be running different compounds, thus running different stints and pit stopping at different times to other team with varying advantages and disadvantages.
    3. Maclaren-Honda Renaisance - If Honda can find the elusive 2 seconds Alonso wants they could be in the mix at the sharp end of the grid.
    4. Rosberg carrying forward is good form from the end of last season into the beginning of this season. Ensuring a strong rivalry fight on track between Hamilton and Rosberg; with the chance that Vettel join in the fight regularly.
    5. Verstapenn on Ferrari power - On paper, the Toro Rosso may outpace the Renault shod Redbull. But more interesting is seeing what Max Verstapenn would do with a better car this season, is tantalizing.
    6. Magnussen vs Palmer is one pairing that might be produce some interesting racing
    7. HAAS - Do they surprise or do they turn out to be a damp squib. Grosjean is not a big name like Alonso or Button, hence it would be interesting to see the impact of his gamble to go Haas.
    8. Redbull - So Renault continues to supply Redbull with engines but protects their brand by only supplying rebranded engines to Renault. When the engine blows up or is underpowered, l wonder if TAG Heuer as the engine brand would take the all too familiar Horner sting. I am sure any mention of Renault in the breath of complaining about the engine would have legal repercussions. It would be quite amusing to listen to Redbull media comments this season.
    9. Can Manor take the fight to Sauber and also ensure they do better than Haas. It would a real egg in the face for Manor, if the new Haas team out performs them and their Mercedes engine. Hence the battle at the tail end of the grid may prove to be exciting for a change.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 10th March 2016 at 11:39.

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Would Merc risk losing Hamilton just to give Rosberg a leg up? It would be the daftest managerial decision in recent time that would. Probably 2nd to Mclaren introducing a new car when they already had a dominant car in 2009.

Hmm... if they still have a totally dominant car this year would it really be that much of a risk? Unless Lewis got wise to what was happening of course.

Merc would never slap their playboy superstar driver down to humble him a little and also have 'German' WDC though. No, if it happens it will be purely on merit of course.
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

Liked 1,082 Times in 604 Posts
    it's going to be another Merc dominated year. I do not see anything to the contrary.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Well testing has not started yet, there may be surprises ahead ;-)

Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts
    Status quo Think Hamilton is a better racer,and the challenge will come from Vettel .Rosberg may steal a race or two ,but Hamiltons performance at the end of Last season was planned to make sure Rosberg was 2nd in the Championship of drivers .So I don't expect him to dominate Hamilton

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintexmemory View Post
    2 good cars, 2 good drivers - not both necessarily in the same make!! Rosberg is never going to be a champ
    I wouldn't say that now. I still don't understand why people don't rate Rosberg as champion material. He's the only person to have beaten Michael Schumacher in the same machinery, he's certainly been the closes team mate to Hamilton that Hamilton has ever had. I think he's fantastic. The unfortunate thing for him is that he's up against someone like Hammy who is exceptional. I think he's definitely WDC material but maybe not while Hammy is his team mate but I guarantee you that he'd beat the Kimi of 10 years ago.

As for the title fight this year, it looks like it will be Vettel vs Hamilton. If Hammy brings his A game again this year, unlike the end of last year, then with Ferrari looking as close as they are it's likely that the points gap between Hamilton and Rosberg will be larger and he won't be able to hang on for as long with Vettel and Kimi taking points off him.

It will probably be a Vettel vs Hamilton year. Rosberg will have to up his game considerably to beat both of them. Looking forward to the start because it's looking unbelievably close in winter testing though I get the feeling that when Mercedes put on the softer tyre compounds and turn up the engine mode they will be slightly ahead, at least for the first couple of races.

The other thing to notice from testing is the improved Mclaren-Honda form. They look likely to be around 1.5 - 1.8 seconds off the pace but their base is much improved from last year. I am looking forward to seeing where they end up on the grid in Melbourne.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by driveace View Post
    Status quo Think Hamilton is a better racer,and the challenge will come from Vettel .Rosberg may steal a race or two ,but Hamiltons performance at the end of Last season was planned to make sure Rosberg was 2nd in the Championship of drivers .So I don't expect him to dominate Hamilton
    Eh, no it wasn't and that's just pure baseless speculation. Hamilton himself admitted that he took his eye off the ball in a recent interview. Rosberg was simply faster toward the end of the season.

Liked 802 Times in 437 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    7. HAAS - Do they surprise or do they turn out to be a damp squid
    Like the analysis Nitro but couldn't help a big LOL - the term is a 'damp squib'! Squib being a name for a certain type of firework, the full phrase being a spectacular as a damp squib' i.e. one that fails to go bang! (disappointing)
    Afaik squids are always damp and therefore only to be expected ;-)
    Kris Meeke got fired -PSG so terrified they quit!

10. Likes: steveaki13 (7th March 2016)
    Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintexmemory View Post
    Like the analysis Nitro but couldn't help a big LOL - the term is a 'damp squib'! Squib being a name for a certain type of firework, the full phrase being a spectacular as a damp squib' i.e. one that fails to go bang! (disappointing)
    Afaik squids are always damp and therefore only to be expected ;-)
    Everyone has a blind spot