Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts

No farewells for the most "entertaining" driver that F1 has seen in this era???

I am surprised. I am hurt. I am insulted. I am gobsmacked (not really - I just like saying that). But most of all, I am... happy that this talking chimp is gone!

An ode to Pastor Maldonado

"Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    At least Pastor has that one win to remember from his F1 career. Better than nothing I guess. Not many drivers reach that.

But to be honest, there is not much else to remember (fondly). Just loads of crashes.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Not alone is Pastor one of the worst drivers to ever win a Grand Prix, but he was also probably the most dangerous. The entire F1 grid is safer without him. I'm just glad his F1 career ends without him causing a fatality. Hopefully he will never be seen in a F1 car again, he doesn't deserve it.

Good riddens to a bad and stupid egg!

Liked 643 Times in 508 Posts
    Ba bye!
    May the forza be with you

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Not alone is Pastor one of the worst drivers to ever win a Grand Prix, but he was also probably the most dangerous.
    You have a point that Maldonado is perhaps the worst driver to win an F1 race... certainly at least in the last 30 years. I am unsure about the eras before that, there is some room for debate.

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens View Post
    You have a point that Maldonado is perhaps the worst driver to win an F1 race... certainly at least in the last 30 years. I am unsure about the eras before that, there is some room for debate.
    Senna at the end of 6 seasons.

Maldonado - 95 starts - 1 win - 28 DNFs - 53 incidents.
    Senna at - 95 starts - 20wins - 31 DNFs - 66 incidents.

This is inclusive of incidents that happened in practice, qualifying and during races.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post

This is inclusive of incidents that happened in practice, qualifying and during races.
    Interesting, though it was the era in which there were no 'limits' on components during race weekends. You could completely write off a car, and still race in a spare car. And from what I remember, drivers used to crash/spin or at least 'test the limits' during free practices quite a lot. I'd guess (far) more than nowadays.

Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post

An extra 19 wins buys you a lot of credit. And let's face it, it's not like Senna didn't also have a reputation. Had Pastor been the equal or better to anyone for speed, and wrung ridiculous results out if average cars, we wouldn't be talking about his crashes. But he was a terrible combination of dangerous, crashy and really not actually that quick
    "I" before "E" except after "C". Weird.

Liked 787 Times in 584 Posts
    I think Pastor is the ideal candidate for the "Driver who is quick on the day" award .

I have read reports that he was amazing that day .

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Maldonano is a better driver than he displayed in 2014/5. A year out may be just the thing he needs to get his act together. Winning a GP in a car that was inferior to a Ferrari with Alonso in it, ahead of the Mclaren with Hamilton in it and a Redbull with Vettel in it, is not a trivial achievement. The last two seasons has not done Maldonado any favors.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 3rd February 2016 at 17:06.