Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts

Channel4 F1 Team

I have checked out the channel4 website to see what their preparation is like for hosting the 2016 f1 season which incidentally starts in under eight weeks. The website do not seem to be ready for the online aspect of the f1 coverage and blogs etc. There is no announcement of who is in the team that would present and commentate the races. I am wondering if Channel4 is going to be ready to start broadcasting at Australia. There is plenty highly skilled people at Channel4, l would bet that they would be able to muster something for Australia, but at this point, they are looking like on their back foot.
    That said, if you were the CEO of Channel4, who would like to see in the crew covering the races. In the running for presenters would most likely be one of the following; Suzi Perry, Jake Humphreys, Jenny Gow, Lee Mckenzie. And commentators may most likely be James Allen or Ben Edwards. Co-Commentator may most likely be one of the following; David Coultard, Allan McNish, Anthony Davidson, Paul Di Resta. Pitlane commentators, maybe Lee Mckenzie, Jenny Gow, Tom Clackson.

By the way, the Channel4 broadcast of the races is going to be an uninterrupted end to end broadcasts. No silly adverts to spoil your enjoyment. Great isn't it :-)

What is your preference?
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 23rd January 2016 at 08:53.

Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    Channel 4 should be ready for Australia. Remember it's been about a month since the news was announced so they haven't had much time to prepare; as such, from what I've read 2017 will be their "bona fide" year to make their mark; we might not see much difference from the BBC coverage this year.

David Coulthard has already been announced as one of the commentators; it's his and Jake Humphrey [singular] 's company, so Jake may well be involved, although I'm not sure how his BT Sport ties would sit with that. My guess is they will either take Suzi Perry, promote Charlie Webster from BSB/RoC coverage, or bring in somebody new to the role. Possibly Lee McKenzie could do it, although she does do other things for the BBC outside F1. Keeping Ben Edwards makes sense, as there's no other motorsport on the BBC for him to stick around for, although Martin Haven's name has been mentioned since he is the voice of most of C4's motorsport (most of it bought in, however, from the likes of Motors).

I suspect James Allen, Jennie Gow and Allan McNish may well stick with the BBC for the Radio 5 Live coverage, although it wouldn't be totally unknown for them to shuffle the line-up slightly. I'd imagine Paul di Resta would want to stick with his DTM commitments, so a move into commentary won't happen yet (not on a full-time basis anyway). Anthony Davidson is tied up with Sky, so I doubt he'd make the move. Tom Clarkson would likely remain with the pit lane reporting, and with Whisper in charge they'll hopefully dissuade C4 from simply inserting some ex-Hollyoaks starlet into a role alongside him (no offence to our friends in Chester, although when they had one character involved in "rally racing" [sic] any thoughts of reality went out the co-driver's window).

Failing that though, I am available
    https://wordpress.com/stats/insights/stugrovesf1.wordpress.com

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inimitablestoo View Post
    Channel 4 should be ready for Australia.
    Depends on who the host broadcaster is.

Channel 10 have not confirmed if they are showing any races live in 2016. If this is the case then Foxtel is the only broadcaster in Australia and the host broadcaster by default. Foxtel is a 50% joint venture between News Corp and Telstra.
    If Foxtel is the host broadcaster, then they will probably not be putting Australia up for offer on free-to-air on any network competing with a News Corp company; in the UK, that's Sky.

Channel 4 might not be getting the Australian GP if the rumours are correct.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 2,241 Times in 1,199 Posts
    Will Channel 4 be showing live qualifying and practice sessions from races which they have live? They have plenty of channels they can use...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    If Foxtel is the host broadcaster, then they will probably not be putting Australia up for offer on free-to-air on any network competing with a News Corp company; in the UK, that's Sky.

Then that would be in breach of the contract Channel 4 has with FOM, so I doubt it...

Practice and qualifying are live as far as I'm aware; C4 have simply taken over the BBC's old contract, so everything should be as it was, just on some different-numbered channels.

Coultard is one face we are sure to see, come Melborne. It appears Channel 4 is using Jake Humphries' company for the production of the broadcast, hence Jake Humphrey is looking most likely to fill the presenter role. It seems they are also trying to use the BBC f1 team from last year, which be interesting and be great at the same time.

Channel 4 not Airing the first race of the season. No Monaco either. Only ten races of which they manage to eliminate two very important races. You have to wonder what the f**k they are thinking.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Channel 4 not Airing the first race of the season. No Monaco either. Only ten races of which they manage to eliminate two very important races. You have to wonder what the f**k they are thinking.
    Channel 4 are airing the first race, and Monaco - just not live and just as the BBC did last year, and the year before.

Jake Humphrey is busy presenting with BT and whilst he may crop up on C4's F1 coverage he wont be the anchor. I would fully expect Ben Edwards to continue as commentator along with Coulthard.

But, it is notable that C4 appear to have nobody in Barcelona though covering anything on the first test.
    Real Race Cars Dont Have Doors....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Depends on who the host broadcaster is.

Channel 10 have not confirmed if they are showing any races live in 2016. If this is the case then Foxtel is the only broadcaster in Australia and the host broadcaster by default. Foxtel is a 50% joint venture between News Corp and Telstra.

I have noted the total lack of anything on Channel Ten/One/11 regarding F1 coverage too, especially seeing as the Australian GP is only three weeks away now. But equally, I would be surprised if they were not showing F1 at all this year, they are supposedly only in the second year of the sharing deal with Foxtel.
    Real Race Cars Dont Have Doors....

Incidentally, I can't find anything on the interwebs yet to prove it, but a couple of few-seconds-long clips of an F1 car with the "building blocks" of the Channel 4 logo on it did get inserted to the ad breaks earlier today. They're nearly ready...