Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    Liked 156 Times in 153 Posts
    The first and last driver awarded a World Driving Championship point after his death: Bill Vukovich-1955 Indianapolis 500

The first and last driver to become Formula 1 World Driving Champion after his death: Jochen Rindt-1970
    This is my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking

2. Likes: Fortitude (9th January 2022)
    Until I find otherwise, I'm going to say that the first race won by a car with a turbocharged racing engine was the California 200 run at Hanford Speedway on March 17 of 1968. The event was won by Gordon Johncock driving a Gerhardt powered by a 168 cu. in. 4 cyl. turbocharged Offenhauser engine.

4. Likes: Fortitude (9th January 2022)
    First Grand Prix winner to be executed:

Robert Benoist, winner of the 1927 French Grand Prix and more, for sabotage in occupied France at Buchenwald, Germany concentration camp in 1944.

Last Grand Prix winner to be executed:

William Grover-Williams, winner of the 1928 French Grand Prix and more, for sabotage in occupied France at Sachsenhausen, Germany concentration camp in 1945.

Corrections welcome

6. Likes: Fortitude (9th January 2022)
    First overhead cam engine to win the Indianapolis 500 was Peugeot in 1913 driven by Jules Goux.

Last non-overhead cam engine to win the Indianapolis 500 was Mercedes Benz in 1994 driven by Al Unser Jr.

8. Likes: Fortitude (9th January 2022)
    The first American Grand Prize (Prix) was a 16 lap/402 mile race held at Savannah, Georgia in 1908. Louis Wagner won the event driving a Fiat. The highest finishing American driver was Louis Strang in a Renault who was 6th and the highest finishing American car was an 11th place finishing Simplex driven by Joe Seymour. Ralph de Palma had the fastest lap, getting his Fiat around the 25+ mile course in 21 minutes and 36.0 seconds.

10. Likes: Fortitude (9th January 2022)
    Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    An interesting addition here would be the first father/Son winners in a Grand Prix, or major international race. On the European front my candidates would be the duo of Antonio and Alberto Ascari, and the year 1948 when Alberto won the San Remo GP. There may well be others.
    On the American side, I don't see any Indy combinations as early as 1948, but there are many other series I am unfamiliar with. Stan, do you know any father-son winners in a major race, before 1948?

12. Likes: Fortitude (9th January 2022)
    Quote Originally Posted by D28 View Post
    An interesting addition here would be the first father/Son winners in a Grand Prix, or major international race. On the European front my candidates would be the duo of Antonio and Alberto Ascari, and the year 1948 when Alberto won the San Remo GP. There may well be others.
    On the American side, I don't see any Indy combinations as early as 1948, but there are many other series I am unfamiliar with. Stan, do you know any father-son winners in a major race, before 1948?
    That looks like a good bet to me D28.

Interestingly, the first Indy 500 field to contain two brothers was the first Indianpolis 500 in 1911 when both Bill and Harry Endicott were in the starting lineup.

14. Likes: Fortitude (9th January 2022)
    Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    The Indy 500 has had no shortage of father/son combinations, but not winning ones. The first was 1992 when Al Unser Jr won; he was also the last.
    I looked at Pikes Peak and saw many uncle, nephew, brother winners, all named Unser, but I didn't really see a father/son duo until 1983 when again Al Unser Jr succeeded his dad.

16. Likes: Fortitude (9th January 2022)
    Quote Originally Posted by D28 View Post
    I looked at Pikes Peak and saw many uncle, nephew, brother winners, all named Unser, but I didn't really see a father/son duo until 1983 when again Al Unser Jr succeeded his dad.
    I looked at Pikes Peak as well, just in case, and found the same. It was never a points paying event as far as I know but it was listed on the Champ Car (Indy Car) schedule, at least until the latter part of the 20th Century.
    Last edited by Stan Reid; 25th May 2016 at 02:10.

18. Likes: Fortitude (9th January 2022)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Reid View Post
    Interestingly, the first Indy 500 field to contain two brothers was the first Indianpolis 500 in 1911 when both Bill and Harry Endicott were in the starting lineup.
    First and last? In the 1930 Indy 500, brothers Cy Marshall (driver) and Paul Marshall (riding mechanic) were in the same car. Unfortunately, they had a crash in the event and Paul was killed.
    Last edited by Stan Reid; 4th May 2016 at 21:58.

20. Likes: Fortitude (9th January 2022)