Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    Liked 156 Times in 153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D28 View Post
    The Monza accident actually claimed more lives than the Mille Miglia, yet My impression is that the MM accident caused reams of bad publicity In Italy against motor racing.
    Five of those killed in the MM accident were children so maybe that had something to do with it.
    This is my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking

As best I can find, the first originally Indy 500 driver to compete in a regular Formula One World Championship Grand Prix race was Troy Ruttman who finished 10th in the 1958 French Grand Prix driving a Maserati.

3. Likes: Fortitude (9th January 2022)
    Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Reid View Post
    As best I can find, the first originally Indy 500 driver to compete in a regular Formula One World Championship Grand Prix race was Troy Ruttman who finished 10th in the 1958 French Grand Prix driving a Maserati.
    That appears to be correct. Presumably the ride came about from contacts made at the Monza Race of Two worlds in 1957, where he won one of the heats. Surprising really is that others were not signed up. Roger Ward was interested and qualified, but his entry in the USGP the following year was self initiated with a midget car. This was to be Ruttman's only F1 start, he entered the 58 German GP but DNS. Travel times and low contracts probably discouraged many Indy drivers from perusing more F1 races. The talent was there all along.

5. Likes: Fortitude (9th January 2022),Stan Reid (21st March 2016)
    Roger Ward was interested and qualified, but his entry in the USGP the following year was self initiated with a midget car.
    I believe this 1959 U. S. Grand Prix was the first and last time that an Offenhauser engine ran in a regular Formula 1 World Championship Grand Prix event. The Goossen engine in the 1960 Scarab was a 4 cylinder engine out of the Meyer-Drake-Offenhauser organization but I don't think it could be called an Offy because it had a desmodromic valve system. I also believe that it was not a fixed-head or 4-valve engine - other "musts" for an Offy.
    Last edited by Stan Reid; 2nd April 2016 at 00:41.

7. Likes: Fortitude (9th January 2022)
    I believe this 1959 U. S. Grand Prix was the first and last time that an Offenhauser engine ran in a regular Formula 1 World Championship Grand Prix event. The Goosen engine in the 1960 Scarab was a 4 cylinder engine out of the Meyer-Drake-Offenhauser organization but I don't think it could be called an Offy because it had a desmodromic valve system. I also believe that it was not a fixed-head or 4-valve engine - other "musts" for an Offy.
    Here's a "Ward-type" Formula 1 Offy engine-great sound! (full volume and headphones recommended)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FM5JwuOgPI
    Last edited by Stan Reid; 31st March 2016 at 16:03.

9. Likes: Fortitude (9th January 2022)
    Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    I believe this 1959 U. S. Grand Prix was the first and last time that an Offenhauser engine ran in a regular Formula 1 World Championship Grand Prix event. The Goosen engine in the 1960 Scarab was a 4 cylinder engine out of the Meyer-Drake-Offenhauser organization but I don't think it could be called an Offy because it had a desmodromic valve system. I also believe that it was not a fixed-head or 4-valve engine - other "musts" for an Offy.
    Very interesting. Most reports of the Scarab car casually refer to it as Offy powered, but i see the distinction that you point out.
    Incidentally the 1960 Indy 500,an all Offy powered event would be the last outing for an Offy in World Championship races.

11. Likes: Fortitude (9th January 2022)
    Very interesting. Most reports of the Scarab car casually refer to it as Offy powered, but i see the distinction that you point out.
    Incidentally the 1960 Indy 500,an all Offy powered event would be the last outing for an Offy in World Championship races.
    And on the topic of lasts, I believe the 1960 Scarab was the last front engine rear drive car designed for Formula 1. Although out of date by the time it arrived on the grid, it was a neat little car-basically a 7/8 scale layover Indy roadster.

The last front engine car in F1 was the 1961 AWD Ferguson P99; another 4 cyl. (Coventry Climax this time) little honey.

13. Likes: Fortitude (9th January 2022)
    Firing up the Scarab-America's first Formula 1 car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aur0tH--6BM

15. Likes: Fortitude (9th January 2022)
    Roger Ward's Kurtis-Offenhauser that he ran in the 1959 U. S. Grand Prix World Championship race was built in 1946 so I think it was probably the last car to run in Formula 1 that was actually built before there was a Formula 1.

17. Likes: Fortitude (9th January 2022)
    In a manner of speaking, the first and last time a midget racing car won a Formula 1 World Championship race was Lee Wallard's "stretched midget" in which he won the 1951 Indianapolis 500.

19. Likes: Fortitude (9th January 2022)