Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    Liked 156 Times in 153 Posts
    First turbine powered car to run in a Championship (Indy) car race: 1967 Indianapolis 500-Pratt & Whitney engine driven by Parnelli Jones to 6th place

Last turbine powered car to run in a Championship (Indy) car race*: 1971 Milwaukee 150-Pratt & Whitney engine driven by Rick Muther to 24th place

*If you include Championship dirt track racing then: 1972 DuQuoin 100-Allison engine driven by Jigger Sirois to a 3rd place finish

{corrections welcome}
    Last edited by Stan Reid; 8th November 2016 at 02:26.
    This is my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking

2. Likes: Fortitude (14th January 2022)
    First turbine powered car to run in a WC Formula 1 race*: June 1971 Dutch GP-Pratt & Whitney engine driven by Rob Walker to 22nd place

*If you include non-Championship F1 races then: March 1971 Race of Champions-Pratt & Whitney engine driven by Emerson Fittipaldi to 12th place

Last turbine powered car to run in a Formula 1 race: September 1971 Italian GP-Pratt & Whitney engine driven by Emerson Fittipaldi to 8th place

{corrections welcome}
    Last edited by Stan Reid; 8th November 2016 at 02:23.

Quote Originally Posted by D28 View Post
    I had forgotten that result. Still a quick comparison with the Cosworth engine in F1 would read:
    Ford Indy Engine 2 points Ford-Cosworth Engine 4336 points.

Of course the Indy engine was very good at what it was designed for, which was not F1.
    Conversely, the Ford Indy engine had some marked success in dirt track racing. The trick was to swap sides on the cylinder heads so the header pipes wouldn't be blowing directly into the driver's face. Here's Big Al's version:

Picture090.jpgClick to enlarge

5. Likes: Fortitude (14th January 2022)
    Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Reid View Post
    Conversely, the Ford Indy engine had some marked success in dirt track racing. The trick was to swap sides on the cylinder heads so the header pipes wouldn't be blowing directly into the driver's face. Here's Big Al's version:

Picture090.jpgClick to enlarge
    Very interesting. I was unaware the front engined dirt cars used the DOHC Indy motor. Am I correct that this would be a very expensive motor for this class of racing. I thought they simply used tuned push rod engines as in many other racing applications,

The front layout calls for a completely different exhaust system. Can you explain a bit further on the exhaust layout changes.
    Last edited by D28; 8th November 2016 at 03:38.

7. Likes: Fortitude (14th January 2022)
    Very interesting. I was unaware the front engined dirt cars used the DOHC Indy motor. Am I correct that this would be a very expensive motor for this class of racing. I thought they simply used tuned push rod engines as in many other racing applications,

The front layout calls for a completely different exhaust system. Can you explain a bit further on the exhaust layout changes.
    It was expensive but they were also running Offys at the time which weren't cheap either. As I understand it, they just put the left cylinder head on the right bank and vice versa so the exhaust ports were on the down side. I imagine they swapped pistons as well since I doubt that they were symmetrical. I actually saw one race in a Sprint Car on the half mile track at Knoxville, IL with Aldo Andretti (Mario's twin brother) driving. I think most of the front engine development happened after A.J. Foyt took over production of the powerplant.
    Last edited by Stan Reid; 8th November 2016 at 03:59.

9. Likes: Fortitude (14th January 2022)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Reid View Post
    It was expensive but they were also running Offys at the time which weren't cheap either. As I understand it, they just put the left cylinder head on the right bank and vice versa so the exhaust ports were on the down side. I imagine they swapped pistons as well since I doubt that they were symmetrical. I actually saw one race in a Sprint Car on the half mile track at Knoxville, IL with Aldo Andretti (Mario's twin brother) driving. I think most of the front engine development happened after A.J. Foyt took over production of the powerplant.
    Looking at references I note that USAC dropped dirt track races from their championship in 1971. There were many races still run by other sanctioning bodies, but would these tend to feature less sophisticated Ford motors, or did the Indy engines remain popular for some years?

11. Likes: Fortitude (14th January 2022)
    Looking at references I note that USAC dropped dirt track races from their championship in 1971. There were many races still run by other sanctioning bodies, but would these tend to feature less sophisticated Ford motors, or did the Indy engines remain popular for some years?
    I don't know how long they continued to run them in what USAC called Silver Crown cars. About all the cars that run now use the small block Chevy. I don't know if overhead cam engines are even allowed now.

13. Likes: Fortitude (14th January 2022)
    Here's Big Al Unser on his way to winning the 1975 Springfield 100 Silver Crown race in a car with a Ford Indy engine.

Aunser1975.jpgClick to enlarge

15. Likes: Fortitude (14th January 2022)
    The first driver constructor to race his own car in a WC F1 event, was Jack Brabham, Brabham-Climax, 1962 German GP. The last would be Emerson Fittipaldi, Fittipaldi-Ford 1980 US GP, Watkins Glen. Other constructors such as Stewart and Prost did not race their cars.
    In all probability Fittipaldi will remain the last one.

17. Likes: Fortitude (14th January 2022),Stan Reid (9th November 2016)
    First driver to race a 16 cylinder car in the Indianapolis 500: Louis Meyer 1930

Last driver to race a 16 cylinder car in the Indianapolis 500: William "Shorty" Cantlon 1947

{corrections welcome}

19. Likes: Fortitude (14th January 2022)