Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Reid View Post
    A beautiful machine ahead of its time, I'd say.
    I agree and if those two couldn't get it into the show, then no one could. This was the second year of trying as the car debuted in 1949(post #67)

McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    Liked 156 Times in 153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D28 View Post
    I agree and if those two couldn't get it into the show, then no one could. This was the second year of trying as the car debuted in 1949(post #67)
    Yes, rookie Bill Taylor was the driver in 1949 and was only about one mph short of making the field even though the car was excessively heavy. Taylor returned to the track in years following 1949 but never qualified for the race. In 1950, Hanks went on to qualify a conventional car and Vukovich tried to qualify a Maserati but didn't make the field in that either.
    Last edited by Stan Reid; 27th May 2016 at 14:40.
    This is my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Reid View Post
    There have been two (and soon three) father-son-grandson racers in the Indy 500-Bill Vukovich Sr., Bill Jr. plus Bill III and Andretti-Mario, Michael and Marco. This year, Matthew Brabham is scheduled to start to add to dad Geoff and grandpa Jack.
    Matt Brabham is set to start this year's Indy 500 from the 27th position. There is one other "sorta" three generation family group of Indy 500 starters. Foyt adopted his grandson so A.J., his stepson (bio grandson) Larry and grandson A.J. Foyt IV would be three generations on paper but not biologically.

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    Please explain the AJ Foyt family more clearly - I'm totally confused.
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Type View Post
    Please explain the AJ Foyt family more clearly - I'm totally confused.
    Yes, Larry Foyt is Indy winner Foyt's biological grandson who he adopted as his stepson after some sort of family issue. Larry is also A.J. Foyt IV's cousin as well as his step-uncle. Larry's biological mother is also his step-sister. That clears it up I'm sure.

First and last car to win both a Nascar Championship and an Indianapolis 500:

The 1939 Wetteroth Offenhauser won the 1941 Indianapolis 500 with Floyd Davis and Mauri Rose sharing the wheel. In 1952, the same car, now with a Cadillac engine, won the championship in Nascar's short lived Speedway Division; this time with Buck Baker driving.

Corrections welcome

7. Likes: Fortitude (10th January 2022)
    Not counting the Indianapolis 500, the first World Championship Grand Prix with two American drivers was the 1953 Belgian Grand Prix with Harry Schell and Fred Wacker.

Corrections welcome
    Last edited by Stan Reid; 26th June 2016 at 01:29.

9. Likes: Fortitude (10th January 2022)
    Not counting the Indianapolis 500, the first World Championship Grand Prix with more than two American drivers was the 1958 French Grand Prix with 4 - Harry Schell, Troy Ruttman, Phil Hill and Carroll Shelby.

Corrections welcome

Not counting the Indianapolis 500, the first World Championship Grand Prix with five American drivers was the 1959 Portuguese Grand Prix with Harry Schell, Phil Hill, Carroll Shelby, Masten Gregory and Dan Gurney.

Corrections welcome

Not counting the Indianapolis 500, the first World Championship Grand Prix with six American drivers was the 1959 United States Grand Prix with Harry Schell, Phil Hill, Roger Ward, Harry Blanchard, George Constantine and Bob Said.

Corrections welcome