Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    Liked 156 Times in 153 Posts
    The first rear/mid engine Grand Prix car was the Benz Type RH which first raced in the 1923 Italian Grand Prix. One of the cars, driven by Ferdinando Minoia, came in fourth behind a couple of Fiats and a Miller 122 driven by American Jimmy Murphy.
    Last edited by Stan Reid; 12th April 2016 at 00:23.
    This is my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking

2. Likes: Fortitude (9th January 2022)
    The first 4WD (AWD) Grand Prix car was a Miller that finished seventh in the 1934 Tripoli Grand Prix driven by Pete De Paolo.
    Last edited by Stan Reid; 11th April 2016 at 01:41.

4. Likes: Fortitude (9th January 2022)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Reid View Post
    The first 4WD (AWD) Grand Prix car was a Miller that finished seventh in the 1934 Tripoli Grand Prix driven by Pete De Paolo.
    The last AWD car to compete in a WC race was the Lotus Turbine in the 1971 Italian Grand Prix. The car was also the first and last turbine to run in F1, I believe.

6. Likes: Fortitude (9th January 2022)
    Until I find out different, I'm also going to say the Schell's car was the first and last time a chain drive car ran in a World Championship event.
    Probably the first air cooled car to compete in a WC event as well.

8. Likes: Fortitude (9th January 2022)
    Probably the first air cooled car to compete in a WC event as well.
    I believe the last air cooled engine car to race in an F1 WC event, not counting the Lotus Turbine in 1971, was the Honda RA302 V8 in 1968. The car ran two laps in the French Grand Prix before killing driver Jo Schlesser.

10. Likes: Fortitude (9th January 2022)
    The first rear/mid engine car to compete in the Indianapolis 500 was the AWD Gulf-Miller 6 driven by George Bailey in 1939. He came in 26th after dropping a valve.

The last front engine car to compete in the Indianapolis 500 was the RWD Mallard-Offenhauser 4 driven by Jim Hurtubise in 1968. He came in 30th after burning a piston.

12. Likes: Fortitude (9th January 2022)
    Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    The first rear/mid engine car to compete in the Indianapolis 500 was the AWD Gulf-Miller 6 driven by George Bailey in 1939. He came in 26th after dropping a valve.

The last front engine car to compete in the Indianapolis 500 was the RWD Mallard-Offenhauser 4 driven by Jim Hurtubise in 1968. He came in 30th after burning a piston.
    Discussion on another racing blog mentions several rear engined cars at Indy in addition to the Gulf-Miller cars of 1939. The 1946 Fageol Twin Coach Special of 1946 used 2 engines and AWD and was quick enough to start from the 1st row. Another one was the Rounds Rocket of 1949 which failed to qualify. All this suggests the idea of a rear/mid engined car was around for quite a while before John Cooper and Jack Brabham clearly demonstrated the advantages in 1961. Like other foreign teams trying Indy for the first time, unfamiliarity with American wheels and tires hampered their efforts. Brabham could have finished much higher than 9th had they calculated tire wear and necessary stops better, or perhaps fitted Firestones rather than Dunlops.

Anyway the successful run paved the way for more determined efforts, and Dan Gurney pitched the idea to Mickey Thompson then Colin Chapman and Ford.
    So the revolution of 1961 actually was more an evolution of ideas, but carried out with much greater success.

14. Likes: Fortitude (9th January 2022)
    As best I can tell, Schell's JAP engine was the first transverse mounted powerplant to compete in a F1 WC event. And, the last was the V12 Honda RA272 that ran most of the races in 1965. Corrections welcome.

16. Likes: Fortitude (9th January 2022)
    Although pre-WC, I think the first F1 Grand Prix race won by a non-Caucasian was the 1948 Grand Prix de Zandvoort won by Prince B. Bira of Siam driving a Maserati.

18. Likes: Fortitude (9th January 2022)
    According to some sources, the first official Formula 1 race was the Nice Grand Prix on April 22 of 1946. If this is true then the first Formula 1 driver to compete in the Indianapolis 500 was Luigi Villoresi. He won the Nice race in a 1.5 liter supercharged Maserati 4CL and, 6 weeks later, completed the 500 miles at Indy in a 3 liter supercharged Maserati 8CL; coming home in seventh place.
    Last edited by Stan Reid; 18th April 2016 at 14:07.

20. Likes: Fortitude (9th January 2022)