Page 246 of 421 FirstFirst ... 146196236244245246247248256296346 ... LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,460 of 4205
    Liked 2,262 Times in 893 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Power View Post
    There may be a difference between Audi and VW cases. Can’t remember any Audi previous declaration of their LeMans engagement under the future 2018/21 regs, while VW confirmed a long time ago their 2017/19 WRC commitment. Hopefully, this is just an anticipation of Audi’s decision to choose FE instead of LM/WEC.
    No unfortunately there is a misconception that Audi chose FE over WEC which was brought about by the press release. Effectively Audi trying to save a bit of face and imply they are remaining in global motorsport. The decision for them to support Formula E was made before and independently of the WEC exit. They even put out a press release weeks ago, explaining the move to FE would not have any impact on Audi's current motorsport programmes. The FE stuff is absolutely tiny in comparison to the Le Mans effort. Really it's just a branding exercise.

The decision to quit the WEC was made completely at boardroom level. Same as VW/WRC will be. The only thing that is different here is the fact that Audi had inter-brand competition in Porsche. That's something VW don't have in the WRC.

Clearly no one at VW Motorsport had any clue this was coming until very recently. It looks really bad. The fact they've been developing this new car for 18 months or whatever it's been really doesn't matter with decisions like this.

The only positive we can draw is that the WRC can take this blow on the chin and stay standing in the knowledge it still has 3.5 manufacturers in the series next year and a new set of exciting regs.

Tanak, Lappi, Ostberg, Evans, whoever... better have signed those contracts already otherwise they will be getting ripped up...
    Last edited by Simmi; 31st October 2016 at 21:38.
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia

Liked 777 Times in 419 Posts
    Unless my memory fail me, the FE cars are all the same cars and they are given to the different race teams by a standard manufacturer... a branding exercise like you say.
    I am not sure if this is the case anymore but in the beginning they had so shitty range that they had to change car mid race to actually complete a full race. All drivers had to have two cars each per race. Absolutely ridiculous.

Liked 1,064 Times in 465 Posts
    Is Paddon reading this thread or something?

SimRace Vereniging Nederland
    www.srvn.nl

4. Likes: AL14 (31st October 2016),Eli (1st November 2016),gravelman (20th November 2016)
    Liked 430 Times in 227 Posts
    Skoda won't probably have a problem(for now).The cars don't need significant investment and they are making a good chunk of money back by selling quite a few Fabia R5s.The Skoda Motorsport WRC2 program may stop but ERC involvement should continue+ privateers.
    Edit for Paddon:He should try Facebook live Q+A next.
    Last edited by macebig; 31st October 2016 at 21:53.

Liked 777 Times in 419 Posts
    Also important to remember is that Audi hasn't won the WEC manu. championship since 2013... and unless they changed, they are running diesel cars against a VW sister company that has not yet been axed.
    I know that boards are hasty to axe things when numbers are red but VW wrc program is probably their only positive promotion right about now. Still, like Simmi says, the board of VW don't care about this at all. It is a balancing game for them and all outlays need to be slashed until the red numbers can be presented to share holders together with equal or greater cuts to spendings.

Such is the grim world of share holding and boards of directors.

For me it is a 50/50 that they will stay but it looks very dark indeed. I may hate hitlerwagen but the WRC does not need this instability right now. Ogier would likely pick up a seat at Msport or Toyota, Latvala might get a seat, I doubt Mikkelsen will...

Time will tell.

Liked 490 Times in 250 Posts
    Wouldn't surprise me if Citroen and Hyundai made Ogier an offer regardless of having three on the books already. If Citroen need one French driver on their roster, methinks Ogier fills that role a little better than Lefebvre.

I wouldn't assume that Skoda would step up either; they don't have the same international reach and market as the VW brand and ROI would realistically be a lot lower. Would love to see it, but don't think we will.
    aka Rodger Davies

Liked 16,095 Times in 6,984 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EightGear View Post
    Is Paddon reading this thread or something?

Paddon seems reading our forum.

Liked 16,095 Times in 6,984 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmi View Post

Tanak, Lappi, Ostberg, Evans, whoever... better have signed those contracts already otherwise they will be getting ripped up...
    very good point Simmi!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kure91 View Post
    looking into ewrc-results, also DS3s are even now in private hands, for example chassis #10 and #11 at D-MACK Racing
    D-MAX, not D-MACK...
    Last edited by Epik; 31st October 2016 at 22:20.

11. Likes: itix (1st November 2016)
    Liked 335 Times in 203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dodge33cymru View Post
    Wouldn't surprise me if Citroen and Hyundai made Ogier an offer regardless of having three on the books already. If Citroen need one French driver on their roster, methinks Ogier fills that role a little better than Lefebvre.
    For Hyundai, it would be very complicated because they have three drivers with two years contract and probably with high salary as they have experience. Firing Sordo (the most likely option) to hire Ogier would be very costly. And hiring Latvala or Mikkelsen does not seem very useful looking at the results this season.

Citroën is effectively an option that males sense as Lefebvre's salary is probably very low. It would depend on Citroën's bosses wish to put a little more money to ensure the title. But, has Ogier forgiven to Citroën?