Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    ^Well what?????????

The Ferrari constantly broke down in '96 and MS did quite well to win a few races - Spain in the rain. (that was the year MS moved to Ferrari - so not the latter period at all) The Williams was utterly dominant and Hill won the tie at Suzuka beating Villeneuve (so 2 Williams battling till the final race in a car which wasn't top of the field?)

So the Williams sorta sandwiched Benetton (92/93 and 96/97) and then McLaren won 2 years in a row BEFORE MS/Ferrari finally won in 2000. Then obviously for the next 4 years too.
    The Williams was the superior car between 1997-99. the period between 2000- 2004, the Ferrari did not have it easy like Redbull or Mercedes, Williams and Mclaren were very much hot on their heels. 2004 was the easiest title win for Schumacher. Which was the point l was trying to make. Even Redbull in their dominant era had Ferrari and Mclaren winning races. Even the Lotus managed to win one race with Maldonado.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 6th December 2015 at 12:12.

McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    Liked 156 Times in 153 Posts
    As Tony George did with Champ Car, Bernie, exclusive of any help from Mercedes, is doing a good enough job of ruining F1 by himself.
    This is my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking

Interestingly, Bernie thinks Mercedes dominance is boring. I suppose his darling Ferrari are not on top is the reason why.

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    But nonetheless, Damon Hill and Jacques Villeneuve both won driver titles for the Williams during the early period of the Schumacher Ferrari era. Ferrari was still the favorite during those years that Williams won.
    The 1996-1997 was the early period of the Schumacher Ferrari era, but Ferrari was hardly a dominant team at that time. When Schumacher moved to Ferrari in 1996 season from a three title winning Benetton-Renault, a LOT of people were questioning that move because from 1991 through 1995 Ferrari was the laughing stock of the F1 world (in the sense of being the team that gets the least bang for its bang). The 1996 car was fast but plagued with reliability problems. The 1996 season was clearly a Williams-Hill domination era since Hill won the championship by a large margin. The 1997 probably wasn't anybody's domination season since the WDC title battle went on to the final race.

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Reid View Post
    As Tony George did with Champ Car, Bernie, exclusive of any help from Mercedes, is doing a good enough job of ruining F1 by himself.
    Although I'm one of the founding members of the Tony George Hated For Life Club, Andrew Craig and the various, ego maniacal, self-interested CART owners share the blame (40/60?) on CART's failure. Ecclestone is just so out of touch with the modern world that I think that a younger person should be brought in to manage future commercial development, while Ecclestone continues managing current deals. He's not going to share power though. Maybe Ecclestone should be put out to pasture and a team headed by, say, Zak Brown should lead FOM from here on out.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post
    Although I'm one of the founding members of the Tony George Hated For Life Club, Andrew Craig and the various, ego maniacal, self-interested CART owners share the blame (40/60?) on CART's failure. Ecclestone is just so out of touch with the modern world that I think that a younger person should be brought in to manage future commercial development, while Ecclestone continues managing current deals. He's not going to share power though. Maybe Ecclestone should be put out to pasture and a team headed by, say, Zak Brown should lead FOM from here on out.
    I would love to see Gerhard Berger in that position personally. He is an ex-driver with a very special business acumen.

Liked 1,082 Times in 604 Posts
    I will chime in to this to say that I agree with those who have mentioned the previous teams that have dominated. Sports is cyclical and Mercedes reign will end.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    In no way have they ruined F1, they've made the most out of the new hybrid cars. I can guarantee you that this dominance will lead to Ferrari and Red Bull trying even harder with their next cars. This will effect Toro Rosso, making them better. McLaren will pitch in with a hopeful mid-table car, also Manor are now considered a 'youth' team for Mercedes if you like. They'll improve as well

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Phelps View Post
    In no way have they ruined F1, they've made the most out of the new hybrid cars. I can guarantee you that this dominance will lead to Ferrari and Red Bull trying even harder with their next cars. This will effect Toro Rosso, making them better. McLaren will pitch in with a hopeful mid-table car, also Manor are now considered a 'youth' team for Mercedes if you like. They'll improve as well
    I agree, one can't blame a team for doing a better job than the rest.

Lewis Hamilton acted like 'spoilt child' after title - Jacques Villeneuve

It was interesting to read about Villeneuves comments about Hamilton's unhappiness regarding his lost of form following the Singapore GP.

see http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/...dio-ga-ga-2015

It would seem the Canadian would rather the triple world champion should keep quiet about his problems and count his blessing. A clear indication that the 1997 champion sees the 2015 driver championship as a privilege rather than an achievement from pure graft. I suppose the 2015 season concluded too easily for some, but l fail to see how any racer would be contented with a lack of form over some 3 or more consecutive races.