Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Last Live race on the BBC? (even last one full stop)

The BBC have to save money and apparently they have asked Bernie if they can negotiate for highlights from next season. (They want to concentrate on Six Nations Rugby (of which they are now the junior partner too), Winbledon, MOTD, and the FA Cup). However, I get the feeling F1 highlights will be sacrificed and may to go another channel.
    I do not think ITV will want it back.
    So the future may look bleak for F1 on terrestrial.
    Bernie, Bernie, Bernie, £45 million from Ch4 for ALL races LIVE seems a good deal noe eh?!

Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    Bernie has said he wants to keep F1 on free-to-air somehow. With even Sky not necessarily interested in seeing out their contract, it'll be interesting to see what happens next...
    https://wordpress.com/stats/insights/stugrovesf1.wordpress.com

Liked 146 Times in 122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inimitablestoo View Post
    Bernie has said he wants to keep F1 on free-to-air somehow. With even Sky not necessarily interested in seeing out their contract, it'll be interesting to see what happens next...
    If Bernie wants to keep it on Free-to-air, why has be driven out all the free-to-air broadcasters and gone behind the paywall? I think Austria and Germany are the last European countries that cover all races on free-to-air.
    как могу я знать что я думаю, пока не слушал что я говорю

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I did read somewhere that Sky renewed their contract from 2017.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    If it is the BBC's last race, they can't exactly say 'see you in march'!

McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    Liked 156 Times in 153 Posts
    No wonder since the cars will probably be running on compressed air pretty soon.
    This is my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Ten Network Holdings which is the free-to-air network in Australia, is 15% owned by FOXTEL Management Pty Limited (15%). Its one time CEO was none other than Lachlan Murdoch.
    I can only assume that Ten Network Holdings will dump free-to-air viewers of F1 like a plate of cold sick; leaving us with 1 race in 2016. The Australian GP is currently protected by anti-siphoning regulations and News Corp in particular has been pushing to have that legislation repealed for a long time.

If F1 is reduced to not much, then Bernie has himself to blame; he will have had willing partners putting the gun to its head as well.

As for Aunty, that same Rupert who has his fingers in the pie in Australia is the same Rupert who controls Sky and wants to see Aunty murdered.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    It'll be the end of F1 in the UK if it goes off FTA. Sky can't maintain a healthy following due to their limited outreach and let's face it the BBC coverage is head and shoulders above them.

Bernie chased the quick dollar and the combination of several boring seasons has been incredibly damaging for its British following. I think it needs to die though in order for it to start repairing itself. F1 simply isn't worth the price Bernie has placed on it and fans simply didn't pay through the nose in the numbers he expected.

Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    One thing's for certain, yesterday's highlights package was the last on BBC3 (as a non-online-only service anyway)...
    https://wordpress.com/stats/insights/stugrovesf1.wordpress.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The BBC have a contract with F1 - they would have to buy their way out of that contract (remember with their previous one it was they who did the deal with Sky to do half and half, who took it to Bernie, who agreed) It is possible they could go highlights only, but that would still need a renegotiation.

I think the BBC dropping F1 - infact ALL sport - is probably inevitable, but it wont be for 2016.
    Real Race Cars Dont Have Doors....