Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Liked 352 Times in 184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martins Tolks View Post
    I agree and in same time not agree.

Yes, some events are quite far away (Acores and Canarias), in the same time, events in Baltics and Ireland , also Greece are not that far away.
    Of course, for the name of European Championship, some events in France/Germany/GB should be added, but is there a possibility?
    Guess, organizers from those countries are not so interested to host ERC event because of some reasons. And also, gravel rallies in central europe are extinct, aren't they?
    Yes, but in this light I absolutely don´t understand skipping Valais again.

Liked 11,152 Times in 4,427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WUff1 View Post
    Yes, but in this light I absolutely don´t understand skipping Valais again.
    It was repeated numerously that the problem with Valais is on communication basis. The cooperation between the organizer and FIA/promoter doesn't work smoothly at all.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 490 Times in 250 Posts
    Then, on behalf of people interested in the event, in your championship, in rallying..... for heaven's sake make it work.

I know it's not 'that' simple, but communicating enough to be a 'reserve' event but not a 'full' one defies much belief, especially as it's an event that's been run so many times before, successfully.
    aka Rodger Davies

4. Likes: AndyRAC (25th November 2015)
    Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Back to the thread.

IRC was an exceptional attempt to sort out a an alternative international rally series directed to manufacturers. It worked during WRC troubled years but since 2011, as FIA managed to get a decent WRC revamp, IRC was no more needed.

Today, ERC must be seen as a regional series directed to european drivers (pro and amateurs) and teams. Of course manus should continue to support top pro teams, but full works entries aren't reasonable any more.

In order to get top drivers and pro teams Eurosport just need to downscale ERC and promote it as the best regional series available, because ERC can be the perfect top rallying experience for wealthy amateurs or 2nd level pros, and the most convenient leverage for young drivers with a real ambition to get into WRC!
    Last edited by Rally Power; 26th November 2015 at 01:28.
    Rally addict since 1982

Liked 1,481 Times in 844 Posts
    I think if they want more teams and not only privateers competing next year they should use the current WRC cars as the top class of ERC, as next year the WRC cars will be more powerfull. To my opinion it would draw much more attention, as this year we don't have Skoda or Peugeot as teams over in the ERC 'cause WRC2 is more important/interesting? anyhow that's my opinion, please feel free to disagree
    Only you know your true potential.
    This year we rally #ForCraig

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Watched the highlights last night, and I can't work out what the ERC is for. Some great events, great scenery, fantastic heli-shots - but the usual 30 min highlights late at night.

It could, and should be better - but what do you do with it? I still don't think Eurosport are doing enough - but that's to be expected really.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

8. Likes: Eli (12th March 2016),Simmi (12th March 2016)
    Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC View Post
    Watched the highlights last night, and I can't work out what the ERC is for. Some great events, great scenery, fantastic heli-shots - but the usual 30 min highlights late at night.

It could, and should be better - but what do you do with it? I still don't think Eurosport are doing enough - but that's to be expected really.
    They could do so much more with it. Just watched the highlights on UK Eurosport, on at 12.30am, hardly gonna capture a bigger audience this way. The U.K. Commentator is awful, Carlton Kirby, keeps pronouncing the names wrong. I really don't believe Eurosport care about it, which makes me wander why they became the promoters...

10. Likes: Jack4688` (14th March 2016)
    Liked 313 Times in 137 Posts
    Michal Hrabanek told in latest issue of Motorsportmonday that there’s two reason why Skoda is WRC2 instead of ERC.

http://digital.motorsportmonday.com//launch.aspx?eid=5861e3ed-ab6c-46e5-adc1-c8f504be4b1c (page 63)

1. Speeding up the development of the Fabia R5. WRC2 events are more demanding technologically than ERC.

2. No manufacturer championship in ERC.
    “Don’t eat the yellow snow” Frank Zappa

Liked 2,242 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldF View Post
    Michal Hrabanek told in latest issue of Motorsportmonday that there’s two reason why Skoda is WRC2 instead of ERC.

http://digital.motorsportmonday.com//launch.aspx?eid=5861e3ed-ab6c-46e5-adc1-c8f504be4b1c (page 63)

1. Speeding up the development of the Fabia R5. WRC2 events are more demanding technologically than ERC.

2. No manufacturer championship in ERC.
    Interesting information.

I had wondered about the manufacturers championship - not that there is much publicity for it in WRC2 but at least it's something Skoda can promote if they win.

Another interesting point against ERC is that there is no event in France, Italy or Germany (important markets for Skoda)

Other points from the interview - Kopecky, Lappi and Tidemand will get the same number of events in WRC2, and Hrabanek thinks Fabia is still on the same level as the Fiesta Evo.

Still, I am disappointed there is not a greater Skoda presence in ERC, at least with some satellite team. The publicity of winning events outright and better tv would be good for them.

Liked 213 Times in 107 Posts
    No one cares about rallying in France. Only Monte and Tour de Corse - since they are back in WRC- had small interest by the non-motorsport medias.

Fore sure, ERC in France would have no impact on the press. And I guess that's more or less the same in Germany ... maybe not in Italy ?
    So I don't think that's one of the reason for Skoda withdrawal.