Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ben View Post
    I've actually read the BBC article first and didn't even read thie whole article on planet f1.
    Then I don't understand the basis of your criticism in that case.

I think Mercedes realise they made the wrong call in hindsight with Lewis. A few articles have popped up today and Coulthard has even called it a mistake. They should have listened to Hamilton's feedback when he said the tyres felt fine. However I still think it was tactical to enable the frustrated number 2 pick up his game. I do agree with it to be honest. There is no point having an underperforming and struggling Nico and now the championship is over I think they wanted him to receive a boost. I think it's worked and hopefully this will be explained to Hamilton.

We all know Lewis can be a bit of a knob, but he's a highly competitive triple world champion. He was right in questioning the team for his own gains IMO. I think with both championships see up its now time to play the team game.

People need to put away their bias and judge on the facts.

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Hamilton may have felt the tyres were fine with about 20 laps to go. But what would have happened if it was just 5 laps, or 2? Remember, what happened in Canada 2012. Alonso looked fine most of the race, but was lapping 4-5 secs off the pace in the final laps and dropped from 2nd to 5th in no time. Also remember, what happened to Vettel in Belgium, when the risk was taken and he suffered a puncture.

I don't know, what were Mercedes' calculation. Probably they feared a complete drop-off near the end of the race. Because they were running comfortable 1st and 2nd, and had no reason to fear competition from behind.

Tyres feeling "fine" with 20 laps to go means nothing. Probably Merc feared a complete drop off or a puncture in the last couple of laps, which could deny them the comfortable 1-2. If this fear was justified, I don't know. We don't have proof, just guessing.

4. Likes: Big Ben (3rd November 2015)
    Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    Do you have any basis for the presumption I highlighted other than your own bias? Rosberg did not need to pit for tyres any more than Hamilton did. They were doing the same lap times.

I'm sure some folks are having as much trouble understanding how you don't get it. How is calling in both drivers handing Rosberg a pity win? It made no change to the positions in the race, which Rosberg was already winning.

The call was not "Oh Nico needs to pit, we'd better pull Lewis in as well so Nico can still win." The call was "both cars might get in to tyre trouble before the end of the race, and we have a pit stop in hand, so we'll call them both in for a precautionary stop."
    Nico could have just as easily questioned the team orders and said he wanted to stay out. He didn't and chose to come in. Lewis did question it and if he won because of it, it would have been deserving because that is part of racing.

I remember Button refusing a McLaren order to come into the pits in China 2010. People called it a master stroke by Button because it won him the race. I wonder how many of those people are here criticising Hamilton for not refusing but simply questioning orders he was given.

What a spiteful soul Jenson is then
    Last edited by The Black Knight; 3rd November 2015 at 18:58.

Quote Originally Posted by jens View Post
    Hamilton may have felt the tyres were fine with about 20 laps to go. But what would have happened if it was just 5 laps, or 2? Remember, what happened in Canada 2012. Alonso looked fine most of the race, but was lapping 4-5 secs off the pace in the final laps and dropped from 2nd to 5th in no time. Also remember, what happened to Vettel in Belgium, when the risk was taken and he suffered a puncture.

I don't know, what were Mercedes' calculation. Probably they feared a complete drop-off near the end of the race. Because they were running comfortable 1st and 2nd, and had no reason to fear competition from behind.

Tyres feeling "fine" with 20 laps to go means nothing. Probably Merc feared a complete drop off or a puncture in the last couple of laps, which could deny them the comfortable 1-2. If this fear was justified, I don't know. We don't have proof, just guessing.
    I suppose Hamilton would argue that considering he has nothing to loose it was worth the risk. The constructors championship is won and a 1-2 is not necessarily important. I think Nico needed the win more than Hamilton and Mercedes supported that.

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    Tire report said the first skins were down to 10% on Nico's car .

It's not unreasonable to estimate that Lewis's tires would be under more strain , given he was in Nico's wake for most of the race .

So , if it was marginal at all , and they had the time , then it is reasonable to pit both .

If Lewis was able to stay close on times to Nico , then it could have been reasonable for him to wait a few , and then pit , so his tires would be more significantly fresher for the last few laps .
    But , his idea was to go to the end .

That was another 20 laps .

Liked 193 Times in 131 Posts
    Is there no tweets from Hamilton this time where he explains that he was faster, better on tire management and in his fully right to win as Always. But, sorry, there is sorts of, in the article he blames the team.

He never dissapoints me, for sure.

Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    do you even know what the word spiteful means?
    lol
    yes. do people still say lol?

I didn't mean to 'like' post no 101. I quoted it not agreed with it.

Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    why should the team have the same strategy for both drivers?
    If one guy can make it to the end with his tires and the other can't, why should the better driver have to come in to pit as well?
    SMH

And you have it twisted, he is not complaining about the team not favoring him, he is complaining about the team[i]favoring Rosberg[i]!
    and the fact he wasn't allowed to run his race. If you are going to slate him, at least get the facts right
    You have your idol implying the team favored the other driver having them both on the same strategy. Who could take the bitching if Rosberg won on a different strategy?

And yeah, I know what Hamilton said. It's just that what he said is stupid.