Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    I really wonder if the Halo is the right way to go. It offers a partial solution at best and does slightly restrict visibility. It would do little to prevent small projectiles such as the one that hit Massa from Barrichello's Brawn a while back. Maybe Redbull's windshield idea would be better. We get to see it next month. the Halo just doesn't look a good addition to a formula 1 car which is the ultimate streamlined structure on four wheels. Its a step in the right direction, something must be done to address head safety and it has to start from somewhere l suppose.

Checkout a video of the test of the Ferrari halo

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video...-test-new-halo
    You also get to hear the sound of the Ferrari engine from an up close position. It sounds fantastic. The idling sound is a bit weird though, kind of like a cross between a litre bike at slightly open throttle and a running cement mixing machine. Your impression may be much different to mine when you listen to it.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 6th March 2016 at 19:34.

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    I don't know how you can call an F1 car the ultimate streamlined structure when they have exposed wheels, exposed driver's head and a barn door bolted on the back, all contributing to a drag coefficient 3x higher than an average road car and more than twice that of an LMP1.

I think all F1 cars have been ugly since 1968 so I have a hard time accepting arguments based on the halo looking bad. Is it really any more unpleasant to look at than wings, or barge-boards, or funny noses?

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    redbull if any
    http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/red-bu...big-1765072021
    Red Bull Wants To Protect F1 Drivers' Heads With A Big, Curved Windshield
    VERSTAPPEN: ‘If I’d let Sainz past, dad would’ve kicked me in the nuts!’

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CNR View Post
    redbull if any
    http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/red-bu...big-1765072021
    Red Bull Wants To Protect F1 Drivers' Heads With A Big, Curved Windshield
    "Flip-flop"

Seriously, that proposal, not withstanding the requirement for wipers, looks like the most sensible by far .
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schmenke View Post
    "Flip-flop"

Seriously, that proposal, not withstanding the requirement for wipers, looks like the most sensible by far .
    Yeah I'd agree with that. I don't think the Halo design is good or very effective. The RBR one seems really well thought out and wouldn't look too bad either.

Liked 785 Times in 582 Posts
    Say goodbye to racing in the rain with the Red Bull version .

I don't like any restriction of vision for the drivers , so none of them are acceptable as far as I am concerned .
    Restriction of sight will only cause more incidents , which means more debris to hit .

"Catch 22" . No win .

This is what the proposed Canopy screen from Redbull looks like. I have to say it looks better, safer and less visually inhibiting that the Halo. But like the halo it has its issues. The first one that crosses most people's mind is the build up of dirt on the screen from oil, tyre bits, insects and rain smears. How would they sort that out, would they be installing a windscreen wiper or is it going to be a tear off like on the helmet. If a tear off, how would the driver manage that at speed?
    Then there is the question of whether the screen can sustain the weight of the car if it were upside down. Then there is the question of how it disintegrates upon hard impact with amco barriers. If it shatters into elongated pieces, they could transform from a protector into a harmful projectile during high impact accidents.

If they could solve these sorts of problems, l think the Canopy resolves those problems relating to small projectiles which the Halo is unable to protect the driver from. The sort that almost ended Massa's career. That said, the Canopy share a common problem with the halo regarding how less they affect the quick exit of the driver from the cockpit after an accident. Or in the case of Alonso's accident in Australia, if it would impede the exit of the driver in an accident where the car is upside down or leaning on the amco barrier in Alonso's case.

It is clear that there are no easy answers to the head protection dilemma. If l had to choose, l am lean towards the Redbull Canopy, partly because that type of solution has been used in F1 before. Lots of F1 cars in the 70s and 80s had some form of canopy.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 20th April 2016 at 19:03.

McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    Liked 156 Times in 153 Posts
    Jack Brabham's "closed" cockpit back in 67.

1967jacKbrabhM.jpg
    This is my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Reid View Post
    Jack Brabham's "closed" cockpit back in 67.

1967jacKbrabhM.jpg
    That is interesting. I'd love to know more about it. Presumably it was designed more for aero than protection at the time. I wonder if it was successful, and what happened to it. I guess if it worked, it was probably banned; I wonder what reason would have been given for banning it, if that was the case.