Page 48 of 60 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast
    Liked 11,152 Times in 4,427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    So do Ypres think they are more important than the whole ERC and think they can demand what the ERC should be ? What would Ypres do if the ERC dropped them, how would this be better ? Just being a round of the Belgian Championship ?
    I don't know what they do think. I can only guess but it's quite clear they are not satisfied and I am certain that they are not the only ones, perhaps only the loudest.

The other rallies havent complained anything like this... and ones like the Circuit of Ireland seemed more than happy.
    Such is life. Anyway it's obvious that ERC is not in a good shape and not all the unsatisfied speak loud. Don't foreget that rallies like Ypres or Barum are part of the Eurosport game since the beginning and they know how it changed through the years. There used to be times when they gave a lot less but received a lot more.

As for the Promoter, what were they supposed to do to persuade Skoda to stay ?
    It's up to them to find how to attract the competitors. They clearly didn't succeed.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 1,064 Times in 465 Posts
    I think Ypres can manage to remain a big event also without the ERC. So I agree they do have quite some bargaining power.

It surely won't be 'just a round of the Belgian championship.'
    SimRace Vereniging Nederland
    www.srvn.nl

Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Ypres Rally not happy with the current ERC...
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report...goes-backwards
    With such a great entry list and the expectation for a strong fight for the win between BRC drivers, some ERC regulars and other international top guys it’s a bit strange to see this words from Ypres organizer. It’d be nice to know in which context they were made. This Evans fellow seems a Sun journo, always looking for dramatic headlines.

No doubt ERC still needs some adjustments, but bringing back IRC memories over and over again won’t do any good. IRC was a success in Mosley FIA years, when WRC was moribund. With the revamp that Todt managed to produce, there wasn’t room anymore for two major rally series.

And blaming Eurosport for Skoda and Peugeot WRC2 choice makes no sense. Every time WRC stands out manus tend to get involved, even in lower categories: in Gr.B era VW and Opel were fighting for Gr.A title; in the mid 90’s Skoda, Seat, Hyundai and others were in a close battle for F2 victory and even in JWRC first years there was direct (Suzuki) or indirect (Fiat, Opel, Citroen) manu presence.

Btw, many ERC crews that were in Açores are also in Ypres. The “no time” argument is BS.
    Rally addict since 1982

4. Likes: Fast Eddie WRC (23rd June 2016)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Power View Post
    The “no time” argument is BS.
    You're free to tell that to them. It's not BS, only some can cope with that in various way but not every team can afford to have a car not available for two weeks and with no chance for any major repair/rebuild in between the events.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    You're free to tell that to them. It's not BS, only some can cope with that in various way but not every team can afford to have a car not available for two weeks and with no chance for any major repair/rebuild in between the events.
    The trip (ferry+truck) from Açores to central Europe takes 3 to 4 days. Saying that "we have the same problem with Azores: by the time the cars are back, it's already too late for Ypres" it's simply not true. The time problem with major repairs can also happen between other events.
    Rally addict since 1982

The trip (ferry+truck) from Açores to central Europe takes 3 to 4 days
    Do You realize that there are teams who need to travel additional thousands of kilometers to Portugal, than back and than to Belgium? You can do that but You can't expect everyone to do that. That's why it's not BS and a real reason why several teams didn't come to Acores.

The time problem with major repairs can also happen between other events.
    It can but also may not be possible for example when You crash or have some major technical problem. You can't expect everyone to take the risk, in other words You always loose several teams because of that.

You also can't expect everyone to plan the whole season for these two events. They create a logistically difficult and risky combination and it's a lot easier to avoid one of them. Again it's simply a fact that some teams don't go because of that.

That's not the main issue mate: I don't remember seeing Ireland Circuit organizers complaining about ERC current state. On the contrary, they were delighted with this year rally and I don't get why the same can't happen at Ypres. Again, it'd be nice to understand Mr. Penasse words full context.
    Rally addict since 1982

Use please quotes when You answer something else than the last post. It doesn't make sense otherwise.

I've mentioned 3 or 4 points that would be interesting to discuss. You picked the least important one. Well done!
    Rally addict since 1982

I already made my points to the other three points and I didn't want to repeat myself again as I know I'm often annoying with that.