Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I certainly think there's room for two or three to be built into the calendar in future years expanding on existing rallies. But that's a separate discussion, and unless it's the Safari there's probably no point making a long haul event an endurance test.

Liked 2,261 Times in 892 Posts
    Interesting to listen to the team bosses being interviewed on WRC.com

Malcolm Wilson says 14 rounds puts extra strain on them but he is looking to try and use the trip to China as a business opportunity to make new customers for R5 cars etc. Good attitude I think - no talk about walking away.

Yves Matton obviously happy about China but says 14 rounds does not fit into their business strategy. He says that if the idea is to do 14 rounds going forward then that could negatively impact their choice in terms of WRC vs WTCC.

He wants to find out whether the strategy is for 14 going forwards - although to be honest I don't really see his issue as if they did commit to '17 that was reportedly going to come with an increase in budget. I think he will struggle to find an answer to his question. But no talk about walking away next year - still talking about drivers.

Liked 183 Times in 122 Posts
    I think there should be a World Championship of the top 12 Rallies (1 per month), mid season break for the drivers to attend car shows, marketing etc . Have a skip a year on some events in Europe - counts for ERC one year and WRC the following year.

China - should just run the WRC and APRC at the same time at Long You and get the quality of the organisation of the event increased etc.

Rather than R5 rally Fiesta - M Sport should make R5 Kuga SUVs, custom Ford Everests (set up a Chinese factory) for the wealthy off road enthusiasts.

Liked 78 Times in 27 Posts
    Okay, time for another point of view on this. I have been attending rally events in China for years and it is not with out it's faults but it is quite a show. Always over 100 entries with manufacturer teams from many international companies, Suzuki, Citroen, VW, Skoda, Subaru, Lotus (Proton) and many local companies such as JAC, BYD, Senova & more. Most teams have 6 or more cars each. How many other national rally championships can claim such backing?

The organisation from 1999 is not the same group running in 2015. There has been a maturity and growth in the sport. The whole country has transformed over that time with great speed and Carlos Sainz would not recognise anything if he returned to the same places he competed at.

The other factor that has not been raised yet is the opportunity for the teams to gain Chinese companies to sponsor them. The Middle Eastern money that has propped up the WRC teams may not last forever. The prospects in China are many and varied. While many events flounder with no funding, the Chinese has local government support and a major sponsor already signed, LeTV (an Asian internet media company worth billions). These are funds and backing that would never come into the sport unless it is willing to leave Europe.
    Happiness is using the side windows more than the windscreen

In reply to being asked what 240Kph on Watagans Road was like:-
    \"Wait till I check my pants, I didn\'t know whether to sh#t myself or orgasm!!!\"

5. Likes: AL14 (3rd October 2015),Simmi (4th October 2015),vino_93 (3rd October 2015)
    Liked 777 Times in 419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Livewireshock View Post
    Okay, time for another point of view on this. I have been attending rally events in China for years and it is not with out it's faults but it is quite a show. Always over 100 entries with manufacturer teams from many international companies, Suzuki, Citroen, VW, Skoda, Subaru, Lotus (Proton) and many local companies such as JAC, BYD, Senova & more. Most teams have 6 or more cars each. How many other national rally championships can claim such backing?

The organisation from 1999 is not the same group running in 2015. There has been a maturity and growth in the sport. The whole country has transformed over that time with great speed and Carlos Sainz would not recognise anything if he returned to the same places he competed at.

The other factor that has not been raised yet is the opportunity for the teams to gain Chinese companies to sponsor them. The Middle Eastern money that has propped up the WRC teams may not last forever. The prospects in China are many and varied. While many events flounder with no funding, the Chinese has local government support and a major sponsor already signed, LeTV (an Asian internet media company worth billions). These are funds and backing that would never come into the sport unless it is willing to leave Europe.
    Exactly... even Donald Trump can see the importance of China in the global economy so why shouldn't we?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDrfE9I8_hs

7. Likes: AL14 (4th October 2015)
    Liked 2,264 Times in 944 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by itix View Post
    Exactly... even Donald Trump can see the importance of China in the global economy so why shouldn't we?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDrfE9I8_hs
    lol

Liked 382 Times in 178 Posts

Liked 353 Times in 209 Posts
    Did the world end when the WRC had 16 rounds in 2004 and 2005? Ok there were 6 WRC teams and there were 4 privateer teams!

So WRC China is now in the 2016 calendar!

I'm looking forward to change. Key word is "Forward"

Lets move in that direction, have a bit of variety in the WRC with this new round. I see no point in complaining from our keyboards behind our desks/phones.

The championship should continue to grow. I certainly am looking forward to attending WRC China!
    GG: "I'm stinky! I needa good shower and nice bowl of pasta!"

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Its okay saying the championship should grow; is it sustainable? Not at the moment it isn't. We currently have 2 Full factory teams in VW & Hyundai, plus Citroen who seem more interested in the WTCC, then a non factory semi-official Ford M-Sport team.
    Always look to go forward, but only when it's affordable - at the moment it isn't. 12 is currently the max they should be going for.
    So Jean Todt & manufacturers want China; is China interested? Will there be plenty of media & spectators when they go?

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 306 Times in 158 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GigiGalliNo1 View Post
    The championship should continue to grow. I certainly am looking forward to attending WRC China!
    See you there.