Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ogier thread

Liked 16,087 Times in 6,980 Posts

Ogier thread

Ogiers interview at Equipe from google translate
    It seems that driving a car with you in the passenger seat, it is unbearable because you see everything before the driver, the dangers, the paths, the environment ...
    I am a co-pilot painful - especially for my wife - because I have true automation, I'm always the one that leads to correct, I do not support that one forgets a flashing or being dragged on left lane, especially here in Germany, where the speed is sometimes not limited.

Beyond the anecdote, is that it may be the fastest rally driver in the world is evolving in a different temporal and spatial dimension?
    I do not think I have a sixth sense. I am a human like everyone else. The car is my field, may see that by scrolling landscapes at very high speed I developed abilities to analyze the environment, to read information quickly around me.

Your tests, your physical trainer or with the federal physician, suggest that even when you are out standard?
    Originally, one must have a certain talent or gift for speed and for the control of a vehicle. But it's something that develops over time. The performance I am capable of producing today with a WRC, I was not able to do ten years ago. I was building, I noticed of course with my first experience in karting, amateur because I did not have the means to compete, I was among the best, if not the best.

How did you develop the talent that is now yours?
    First, rally, we are not alone in the car. It takes some time to get the right connection with co-driver (Julien Ingrassia), speak the same language, implement automation, developing a system of personal notes. This is an essential key that takes time. The best drive remains running, and here we are confronted with the problem of the sport: it is difficult to train there. Then there is the physical parameter. I work with a physical trainer for quite a few years to reach peak form, develop reflexes, feeling my body through proprioception (technique to be aware of the position of his body). It goes through balance exercises, on medicine balls, develop reflexes with machines where you have to touch illuminated buttons as fast as possible and at the same time to develop the cerebral side, compute multiplications.
    It is not far from the computer ...
    It is part brain, but it's also a lot of feeling. Even if you read the information, even if you listen, the most important is still the feeling of the car. When the car from drift or when you lose grip, you must do the right action in very, very short. Rally driver is three things: analyze what's ahead, feel the car and listen to the notes. With these three information, you must make the right decisions.

Didier Auriol, the first world champion of French rallies in 1994, recounted that once, in Corsica, he had managed to evolve "in slow motion" atomizing competition, reaching a sort of state of near levitation. It's happened to you?
    No, but I see very well what he wanted to express. This is when you are in harmony with all, when you feel like the body, to be satisfied with the set-up of the car, to do what you want and at the same time notes stick perfectly to the road, the first officer in the timing is perfect, as all factors are gathered to you to be relax ... It happens to me more and more lately, my level has risen, I am in phase upward. The rallies where I loose just a few tenths here and there, I make some now. I think I reached a peak. I have accomplished many races where I feel 99% with very few errors. The goal now is to keep that peak. I do not have much to go for. But we must see that there is a luck factor in our sport, and this year, I have been well served. Sometimes, do not much for a heat turns into exit route.

You talk about luck, success. You were gone for racing mechanic. Can you imagine the life that could have been yours?
    I am rather someone who looks ahead, aiming the next goal. But it's true that my destiny is incredible, I who comes from a village of 200 inhabitants, lost in the Alps without means. I am both happy and proud of my route.

History says you borrowed 20 euros to your father to join the operation Youth Rally.
    Not exaggerate. I had them in the bag, the 20 euros, I was also a ski instructor, I was teaching. But these 20 euros will remain forever my best investment. I was a young mechanic Rallye team supported by the French Federation, and having experienced these selections inside me believe that it was also possible for me. But what stress! It was played over two days, and between the two I hardly slept, I felt playing my future, it was my only opportunity.

And you paid the 20 euros and a little more ...
    Normal ... The 20 euros is anecdotal. I especially was a member in 2008 and 2009 of the France team, I received a budget to run, the system is very clever because the contract provides, if we go pro, to be reimbursed in cash and promotion days . It had to climb two seasons at 600,000 euros, about half of my budget. These were then used to support other, it ensures the continuity of the system and that's why there are a lot of French rallies, as Stéphane Lefebvre, which is in line with Citroën or Eric Camilli if the contract he signed with Toyota happen. The Finns, who dominated at one time, had invented this system, private one, with the sponsor Timo Jouhki. Personally, I also helped a former teammate buying his car for a championship of France.

2. Likes: andyone (22nd April 2016)
    Liked 16,087 Times in 6,980 Posts
    You do grow up the future champion who will send you to retire.
    I was glad to have benefited. This is the game. This is a normal working life. We can not accept to be the best forever.

Didier Auriol in 1994, Sébastien Loeb 2004-2012, Ogier since 2013. Simply being French champion for the World Rally?
    Perhaps it will not be every day like that. It has become too "normal," we must not trivialize it. It is a human characteristic, or even French, always wanting what you have not, and forget the value of what we have. The Federation has had a very big influence. Need we say more? Jamaica produces sprinters and not ... If a French pilot takes over, I wish him good luck. It constantly hear: "You, it's normal, you just made as the other two before. "

Today you win, as estimated by "Team Magazine ', EUR 7.6 million a year, ninth among French sportsmen, just behind the footballers and basketball players, well before the Olympic champions. Are you where you think need to be?
    I was a skier, I was competing, I had ambitions. I am very aware that some athletes deserve better. I earn very good living. The risk parameter is very far, though, touch wood, Safely grew well. We put our lives at stake, it largely explains the amounts you can touch. Beyond that, clearly, I have dominated the past three seasons. It is not unusual to see someone who dominates his sport to be well paid.

What do you do with your money?
    Most of the money I won I always. With the life we ​​lead, I do not have much time to spend it. A driver has a busy schedule thirteen weeks of racing per year over twenty or thirty days of testing, and movements that go along with, operations with brands or media. Finally, I have two real cuts of fifteen days per year. I come from a very humble background; at first, so much money, it's weird. And as I spend little, that I am rather conservative, it starts to add up. I can see my future without asking questions, but the first time I was thinking maybe it will not last long, maybe it will happen to me something. So I stayed at investments calm, I played safety. I always did my maximum to keep feet on the ground. I invested in a nice apartment in Switzerland to Lake Constance. I also have some sports cars: a Porsche 991 GT3 RS, and a gift that I had done after my first title, a Ferrari 458 Special. I roll with very little. To be honest, these are cars that have very, very few kilometers, and the one I use the most is my function Touareg, because it is more convenient, you can put many things in the trunk, bicycles, and anything you want.
    We win anything with a third title?
    My race car, my polo. It was in the contract.
    You speak (well) German.
    At home we speak English. I start a little German. I started to put his nose in a book to learn slowly. My wife, who knows footballers, keeps telling me, "Franck Ribery made the effort to speak the language, then you must also put you there. "But English is spoken at Volkswagen ... I know that when I have children, they will surely speak German to me first.
    You feel German? French? Everywhere ?
    I am clearly French, I have a French flag on my race car, I have a French identity card. But we live in a world that has less and less borders.
    Is he not missed a share of history with your country since parting with this impossible cohabitation Citroën and Sébastien Loeb?
    It happened what happened. I am far from my roots, I feel good in Germany, but I am always proud to represent France at the highest level. I have not managed to become world champion with Citroën. There are parameters that explain it, and we will not discuss them again. But it was a springboard that sent me in another direction, and I am very proud to have managed my career and my life. Inevitably, married in Germany and working for a German team certainly cost me notoriety in France, but I do not play sports to be famous, I do it for the sensations it for me.
    Does the popularity of your female suits you?
    It's always nice to be recognized for the performance that one does. But when I see the burden on athletes and very famous, I'm not envious. I can have a normal life almost all the time when I'm not on rallies, and I appreciate it greatly. In Faster, a film about MotoGP, Valentino Rossi said, in his first title, as his life in Italy was terrible, he had too many demands on the street, it was getting a job, what. So I really do not run after fame, after the millions of followers after the autographs. They are too difficult lives.
    You have just taken an agent, Marcus Höfl, which is that of your wife, but also Franz Beckenbauer or skier Maria Riesch-Höfl, triple Olympic champion, who is also his wife. A very aggressive and ambitious agent. What's the idea?
    Long time I did not have an agent or not really. The contracts, it was not complicated, it is discussed in direct driver to team manager. Loeb, for example, one that remains the greatest, he negotiated directly with Guy Fréquelin. Take an agent is to work on the image, but in Germany where Volkswagen operates. For the rally, Germany, it remained in the days of Walter Röhrl, there are thirty, it's not very popular even if it rises. Since it was more F1 with Schumacher, the icon 1, and Vettel. The agent is to improve my presence, especially in the mainstream media. It would please my employer, and in the future, it would allow me to consider new partners - I'm not in that much - and engage my life after.
    Was held 43'52 "without actually tease you with Loeb. Not bad, right?
    Not bad, yes, but the subject also reduces with time. I totally understand that there were a lot of comparisons. When one aspires to be the best, so this is my case, it is inevitably compared to the best, and for ten years it was him. There was so much in common in our ascents and our careers. Although there has been annoying times. In fact, it has gone through all stages. At first it was rather pleasant and flattering, but after, you want to say to you and you do not want to be compared with someone else. Today, therefore, it subsides, he stopped his career, and here.
    Is it that you lack?
    No ... Even if it is not there, other very good drivers lead me a hard time. After that, it would have been exciting to have a real confrontation that never really occurred. It was very early in my career high, I lacked experience, which is a fundamental factor in rallying. It was difficult to fight against such a champion who was at the peak of his career. If he wants to come back, we would welcome.
    Think a return, other than punctual, feasible?
    It's not me that you should ask. But if I put myself in his shoes, I see him back badly. Gave lot for many years. But it suddenly Susceptible extra boost to WRC. When he returned part time, it gave rise to great battles. On a full championship, although he has over forty, one can not consider it as an old, that would be exciting.
    At the time of the beautiful agreement, you shared an afternoon barbecue. Is it that time has erased the words and these Swiss garden parties resumed?
    We no longer lives at all the same region, there is no longer the same schedules. There was more contact, but when I meet him, which is rare, I am very glad to see him. We exchange friendly manner. I respect him a lot

4. Likes: stefanvv (25th September 2015)
    Liked 802 Times in 437 Posts
    Think we really could use a better translation - Google really is terrible and never conveys the colloquial nuance.
    Kris Meeke got fired -PSG so terrified they quit!

Liked 1,170 Times in 791 Posts
    babelfish.com
    "With that car, your brain can actually never keep up"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Oh come on he is not that important yet to have his own thread... he has less titles than Makinen for gods sake... and from all people YOU open this thread Dim ?? That will cost you at least 3 beers before the acropolis this year... AT LEAST !!!

8. Likes: dimviii (28th September 2015)
    what ?!? Ogier doesn't have a thread until now?!?

친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    yes nobody bothers with him... you see when there is more noise around what you say, rather on what you do, it usually is a short topic and not a big one.

yes, I agree, achievements are not important. and there is more, what You say wrong is more important than what say right.... All in all we are very far away what would equal us to God(s)
    Last edited by stefanvv; 28th September 2015 at 02:42.

Liked 94 Times in 58 Posts
    This thread will be loaded when Volkswagen pulls the plug out of WRC campaign ...

Liked 51 Times in 43 Posts
    Why would they do that? Makes no sense to me.