Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 887 Times in 277 Posts

How Meeke and Ireland can save the WRC

1) I understand why certain forces in the WRC wants to bring a WRC round to China.

2) I also how this can be done: Put together an international/proffesional staff of rally organizers, let them organize the rally with help from the locals.

3) I also see how it could be sold. Market the rally, both to the supporters and the sponsors, as a journey to the orient, with all that this implies. And make it possible for the fans and sponsors to come on this journey, either in person, or via social and regular media etc.

But there are easier ways to strengthen the WRC.

So while the promotor ponders on the Chinese journey, there is another rally that could acutely help the popularity of the WRC, and that is an Irish WRC round, done as an Irish WRC round really should be done, like "The Circuit Of Ireland."

In Ireland You already have the biggest market for X WRC-cars, You have a large and deeply passionate fan base, You have local drivers with should be allowed to enter with WRC cars, and You have a local hero (Kris Meeke) who have the charisma and flair to become an international hero.

An Irish WRC round (done properly) would be a unique rally, which would fit very well in the Championship. Its hard to understand why it isn't already so.
    https://www.facebook.com/noseendfirst?ref=hl#

2. Likes: Fast Eddie WRC (22nd September 2015),Rallyper (22nd September 2015)
    Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    Simple. Because it makes sense...just därför.

[Colombo mode on]

There's just one thing that keeps worrying me, I can't shake thje feeling, maybe you can help me...
    I rewmember you said that you had also read that wonderful book "Moneyball" by that guy what's his name? Oh
    Michael Lewis..
    Well my wife brought home a copy of his book about the post 2008 Financial Collpse world called "Boomarang" yeah that's it:

He explains in his clear way how various countries adopted the fawked up ideas of the Wall Street gangs, risked billions on ideas they themselves didn't understand--and how some countries are devastated by the debts left behind..

My impression and other things I have read--like the disappearance of hundreds of thousand Poles---is that the place is bankrupt..

That might be a problem..[/Colombo mode off]

(the presences of 20 ex-wrc cars was always a curious thing--a sign something was not kosher....add to that every one owned by "farmer" and we get close to see what might be paying for this..)
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Liked 2,839 Times in 1,612 Posts
    John! What you are saying is... ??
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rallyper View Post
    John! What you are saying is... ??
    Hela landet är egentligen pank och under otroliga intert o externt skulder.
    Pank som fan...Och att dom lånade så mycket beror på att dom fuskade till kriminella nivån.

Hur fan kan förra detta fattig bondar bli i en generation rik nog att leka med WRC bilar?

Fusk.
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Liked 2,264 Times in 944 Posts
    Circuit of Ireland is fantastic but you have to look at the reality of things Lundefaret, otherwise is just some discussion about dreams, which is welcome actually, I like to dream, seriously. But it seems to me you are really hoping that Ireland instead of China have some chance to happen. I don't think so.

Liked 658 Times in 317 Posts
    2) I also how this can be done: Put together an international/proffesional staff of rally organizers, let them organize the rally with help from the locals.

I think this has happened on most new events to join the calendar in recent years, anyway. It would surely have been planned to happen.

The Finns ran the first Rally Jordan, the Australians were sent en masse to Japan for the first couple of years, Rally GB CoC was in that role for Rally Poland, the Italians in Bulgaria etc etc etc

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Who is going to sponsor/ finance the event? Nothing happens until that is sorted.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 2,262 Times in 893 Posts
    The return of Ireland to the WRC was on the front of Motorsport News this year. They didn't seem to take into account that there's no funding in place.

Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lundefaret View Post
    (...) An Irish WRC round (done properly) would be a unique rally, which would fit very well in the Championship.
    For sure, but it hardly would 'save the WRC'...just look at Poland and Kubica case. And why not think about Spa, or Barum rallys? They are also popular and there's Neuville and Skoda to catch up attention...

The renewal of WRC doesn't depend on one guy or one rally. We've already got F1 champs or gymkhana heroes and the rally world didn't get up, down or sideways.

We need serious action from FIA representatives, coordinated with the promoters abilities and efforts. But in order to get there FIA must admit that WRC is on a declining trajectory, due to an identity crisis (hard for them to believe as they've got - God knows how? - the endorsement of 4 of the 5 major automotive groups), and the promoters has to understand the sport nature, instead of thinking WRC as another exhibitionist attraction for the masses.
    Rally addict since 1982

11. Likes: AndyRAC (22nd September 2015),janvanvurpa (22nd September 2015),Rallyper (22nd September 2015)
    Liked 2,839 Times in 1,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by janvanvurpa View Post
    Hela landet är egentligen pank och under otroliga intert o externt skulder.
    Pank som fan...Och att dom lånade så mycket beror på att dom fuskade till kriminella nivån.

Hur fan kan förra detta fattig bondar bli i en generation rik nog att leka med WRC bilar?

Fusk.
    You´re so good writing swedish (know this is OT). You should really show up one day here in Sweden or Finland!

Now I also understand what you meant.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

13. Likes: janvanvurpa (22nd September 2015)