Quote Originally Posted by Rally Power View Post
For sure, but it hardly would 'save the WRC'...just look at Poland and Kubica case. And why not think about Spa, or Barum rallys? They are also popular and there's Neuville and Skoda to catch up attention...

The renewal of WRC doesn't depend on one guy or one rally. We've already got F1 champs or gymkhana heroes and the rally world didn't get up, down or sideways.

We need serious action from FIA representatives, coordinated with the promoters abilities and efforts. But in order to get there FIA must admit that WRC is on a declining trajectory, due to an identity crisis (hard for them to believe as they've got - God knows how? - the endorsement of 4 of the 5 major automotive groups), and the promoters has to understand the sport nature, instead of thinking WRC as another exhibitionist attraction for the masses.
I am off course talking about more than one rally, and on how the promotor/FIA should choose events.

As I wrote, I understand why certain parties want to have a Chinese rally, but an Irish rally would be more important to the WRC as a brand. As well as rallies like Rally Bohemia, and the Safari Rally (wich they for some reason can run in old rallycars, but the modern ones cant endure, understand it he who can).

The fan base, uniqueness, and the evet as a brand builder should be the deciding factors, not the money.

If only they who can pay for an event is allowed to arrange it, we will end up with something looking like the F1 calendar, and I for one dont think the Tilke circuits in the desert and other remote places are especially entertaining, and the fans seems to agree - judging by the empty grand stands.

So if the promotor cant shake down the locals to get the budget in place, what then? More of the financial burden should lie with the promotor. This way FIA and the WRC would be more free to stage rallies where they liked (this would also mean that the promotor gets a bigger part of the local earnings.)

To do this, AND arrange a Chinese round, there needs to be in place a promotor with greater responsibilities and power, a staff that supervises the organisation of each rally, and a team that works with local finances (everything from ticket sales, to selling hot dogs, to local sponsors.)

The alternative is to go the F1 rout. Stick it to the fans, care only about the money, have more and more races in places like Sotchi, PR-strangle the drivers, and the noise of the engines (so even the German rally fans turn their backs, even with both Mercedes and Vettel to chair on), and stop having races in places like Monza (if they cant pay, sod them.)