Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
    Liked 62 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
    Wow maybe lighten up just a touch Jack - you'll feel better.

I think for the BRC in year one the biggest group of people they needed to target were the competitors themselves. Without entrants they weren't going to have a championship. I guess it was a case of 'build it and they will come' when the series returned. That doesn't always work out but thankfully it has.

Some over-hyping is fair criticism but credit where it's due they've done a good job on social media to drum up interest and get that momentum moving. But let's not kid ourselves, they were pushing on an open door when it came to speaking to already converted rally fans - desperate for the BRC to return to former glory.

Like Andy said you've then got that wider promotion which I think they should really concentrate on in year two. Although it is concerning that, if publications don't see this rejuvenated series as a worthy story now, what's to say they will next year?

Rallies need more investment and better promotion long-term. A lot of things look nice on the surface but need strengthening behind the scenes. It's a good start most definitely but I think there's some big steps to take before the BRC will truly be a force again.
    Interesting points there Simmi. Many of you won't know what my company (www.lightninghouse.co.uk) does , but if I may I'll give an insight.
    On the Mid Wales we came away having got a fairly sizeable piece in The Telegraph by virtue of the driver we brought in. That doesn't always sit well with die hard enthusiasts but it engaged the wider public far more than many events in recent years.
    I would hasten to add that was all privately funded and not by event / championship....on a wider scale we're at an advanced stage to bring an event right into the heart of a large UK city, again this will be funded from outside the sport.
    Therein lies the challenge, whilst events/championships need that promotion they in themselves physically don't have the money... What we're doing this year privately will start to break down some of those barriers but certainly many events (not specifically this one) need to be thinking more of how they can promote ....everything costs though .

2. Likes: Simmi (17th March 2016)
    Liked 2,262 Times in 893 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brynmor Pierce View Post
    Interesting points there Simmi. Many of you won't know what my company (www.lightninghouse.co.uk) does , but if I may I'll give an insight.
    On the Mid Wales we came away having got a fairly sizeable piece in The Telegraph by virtue of the driver we brought in. That doesn't always sit well with die hard enthusiasts but it engaged the wider public far more than many events in recent years.
    I would hasten to add that was all privately funded and not by event / championship....on a wider scale we're at an advanced stage to bring an event right into the heart of a large UK city, again this will be funded from outside the sport.
    Therein lies the challenge, whilst events/championships need that promotion they in themselves physically don't have the money... What we're doing this year privately will start to break down some of those barriers but certainly many events (not specifically this one) need to be thinking more of how they can promote ....everything costs though .
    Thanks for the insight Brynmor. Was great to see you guys out on the stages. No complaints about something like bringing Chris in. Seems like a win-win for everyone.
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    I've always been interested to see Chris Harris rallying, partly because I've been a keen viewer of his videos for a number of years and partly because it's interesting to see a decent motoring journalist covering an event which I watch regularly (e.g on the Wyedean or when Fifth Gear did the Exeter Trial). Of the 'die hard' fans that I know none of them object to Chris competing, mostly because he's a decent driver and likes doing big skids. Where I think the die hard fans get a bit narky is if it involves someone that doesn't sit right as a half decent driver. So if it had been a GT86 driven by Rachel Riley or Eamonn Holmes then there would have been a bit more flack

Edit: BTW what link does Kev Moore have with the team? I know him from motorsport in this area but spotted him at scrutineering in Wales and just noticed him in the background on one of the videos on your website.
    Last edited by MrJan; 17th March 2016 at 19:10.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Kev Moore is one of the main on event technicians that RallyPrep employs...great guy and a regional officer for MSA too.
    Glad to hear the approval of Chris, he came in for stick from some quarters which I thought unfair , but he did a superb job of pushing the series in a new area..
    Last edited by Brynmor Pierce; 18th March 2016 at 01:27.

Liked 1,530 Times in 658 Posts
    Glad to hear the approval of Chris, he came in for stick in some areas which I thought unfair but he did a superb job of pushing the series in a new area..
    Got to agree with Mr Jan, a couple of the spectators where I was, including myself, spoke about it being good to see Chris Harris at the end of the rally (we were a couple of corners from the end of the final stage), so I think he's largely well regarded by ordinary spectators. I can't say what people involved in the sport think though, as I imagine rallying is a bit cliquey in some circles.

By the way, someone important must be reading this thread as the BRC uploaded this today, Evans run through SS1 in the dark, shot from the 'bumper' camera: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Srg3kCDHTGc

Very nice to see it, particularly as it shows they're able and willing to upload these. It'd be nice to see an in car onboard from SS3 or SS6 too, but I look forward to more onboards from future rounds.
    Last edited by the sniper; 18th March 2016 at 01:45.

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Kev Moore is one of the main on event technicians that RallyPrep employs...great guy and a regional officer for MSA too.
    Glad to hear the approval of Chris, he came in for stick from some quarters which I thought unfair , but he did a superb job of pushing the series in a new area..

I don't know why there is any stick for Chris - he's been a fan of the sport for ages. Watch his video testing the Tuthill Porsche 911 R-GT on gravel at Walters Arena!! He was like a kid at Christmas.....
    Which reminds me; I'd love to see him in that car on a few rounds......

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC View Post
    I don't know why there is any stick for Chris - he's been a fan of the sport for ages. Watch his video testing the Tuthill Porsche 911 R-GT on gravel at Walters Arena!! He was like a kid at Christmas.....
    Which reminds me; I'd love to see him in that car on a few rounds......
    The Tuthill car has now been sold to a team in Spain I believe sadly...hopefully we'll have him out again in something during the year.

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    great guy and a regional officer for MSA too.
    Yeah that's how I know him as I'm involved with Torbay MC who are in the region he covers so I've spoken to him quite a lot. He seems to have been involved in the sport for years and I know that his day job used to be with a company down here, just didn't realise he did stuff with Rally Prep too.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 5,554 Times in 2,298 Posts
    Tuthil car selled to Italy

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Roll on the circuit of Ireland. Cracking entry list!!