Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 777 Times in 419 Posts

Technical question RRC

Hi! I have a question about the RRC cars. I read that they have only 29 mm restrictors and yet they compete in the same RC2 class as R5's with 31 mm restrictors (IIRC)... where do they make up the competetive advantage?

I have also read that Msport brag about their RRC's being convertable to full spec WRC cars in around 6 hours and I have understood that RRC's are meant for regional championships which really makes me wonder. Are they WRC spec cars with R5 aerodynamics and a smaller restrictor (ie less engine but more cornering)?

...and how does the DS3 RRC compare to the Fiesta RRC?

Sorry for posting it here, but there was no "Rally general questions" or "other" category.

Cheers

Liked 140 Times in 86 Posts
    RRCs were essentially WRCs with a smaller restrictor and S2000 rear wing, which is why they're so expensive and only really seen in the Middle East. R5s aren't that similar - the engine rules are very different, not sure about the WRC/RRC engine but M-Sport's R5 engine starts off as a Ford 2.0 litre engine and various other production parts from different brands used. For instance the intercooler (correct me if I'm wrong somebody) is from an Audi as that is allowed in the R5 regs.

Also suspension rules are very different, all four corners in an R5 need to be interchangeable. In terms of putting the power down on the road the R5s have a five-speed box to play with not six.

Liked 11,152 Times in 4,427 Posts
    You are right. it's not fully comparable as the rules are different. Still the engine of R5 is stronger but the RRC have other advantages in suspension, much better anti-lag, gearbox or durability - for double the cost.

The restrictor numbers are 32 mm for R5 and 30 for RRC.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 638 Times in 330 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack4688` View Post
    RRCs were essentially WRCs with a smaller restrictor and S2000 rear wing,
    and a smaller flywheel I think

And thicker windows and... some other things

Liked 638 Times in 330 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    The restrictor numbers are 32 mm for R5 and 30 for RRC.
    At some point last year, it was said that the regulation will be changed to 29mm for RRC, to reduce their advantage (I think I read it in Motorsport Monday). Are there plan to introduce this if you know?
    Also I wonder what will happen to them after 2017, when the WRC cars are totally different. Will they ban the RRC altogether?

Quote Originally Posted by makinen_fan View Post
    and a smaller flywheel I think
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    And thicker windows and... some other things
    That's why I said essentially

Quote Originally Posted by makinen_fan View Post
    At some point last year, it was said that the regulation will be changed to 29mm for RRC, to reduce their advantage (I think I read it in Motorsport Monday). Are there plan to introduce this if you know?
    Also I wonder what will happen to them after 2017, when the WRC cars are totally different. Will they ban the RRC altogether?
    Won't they naturally fall out of homologation by then? They will then be allowed to be used in championships where FIA homologation is not required but as the time is up on their homologation and no manufacturers will be building them they'll naturally die off won't they?

It was announced that RRC are to be banned for next year (maybe except of WRC2). Originally they were expected to be banned already for ERC 2015.

9. Likes: makinen_fan (17th August 2015)
    Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    Anybody else here think that it has become stupid with the rats nest of rules restricting power in everything except essentially works cars? Who can keep it all straight? I thought competition rules were basically about creating a "even playing field" and then the people aka competitiors would be grouped somewhat by say size or experience..
    In Rally now certain CARS are given distinct advantages--bigger restrictor, more travel, better aero etc and then they that drive them are proclaimed to be "better" drivers and"faster"..
    To which I say "well duh"..
    Its replicated in National series to the point of rediculousness here in USA with 2-3 guys with effectively limitless budgets in same class with hardly warmed over street cars and same thing, the results talk of what an BRILLIANT win...blah blah..

Does this trouble and confuse anybody else here?
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

But in WRC all competitors are running cars to the same regs, not the rich ones running WRC cars and independent M-Sport or privateers making do with lesser class cars such as S2000 or R5