Page 72 of 78 FirstFirst ... 22627071727374 ... LastLast
    Liked 887 Times in 277 Posts
    Kris Meeke should choose Toyota - and this is why:

I have put a lot of thought in this, because its not an easy decision, and there is lot of unknowns.

Citroën positives:
    If Kris should go for short term results, Citroën would be the way to go. The 17-car will probably be one of the fastest, and I would be surprised if its not faster than the Toyota.
    The team has great experience, so 2017 would be a real fight for victories for Kris.

Citroën negatives:
    I feel that Citroën has never really committed to Kris. There has been some statements from the team, that must have been tough for Meeke to hear. All of them going in the direction of his place in the team being very unsure.
    Even their arguments to seal Kris go in that direction. They point on his age, that he only has a couple of years left, etc. To me, that says that they see Kris as a short term solution, until they can build up younger French talent.

I am a bit surprised on how little Citroën knows about talents, and what to look for, having brought up both Loeb and Ogier.
    They should now that age is not a factor.
    They should know that an unexperienced driver with winning speed is easier to coach to be a champion, than an experienced driver with speed lacking.
    I am a little surprised of how Citroën thinks that the car is more important than the driver. I am just puzzled.
    Also, their "super-engineer" has left WRC for Formula E.

Summary: In Citroën Kris would be fighting for victories in 2017, but his future beyond 17-18 that would be uncertain. He would probably never feel total commitment from the team.

Toyota negatives:
    New team, new car, unknown engineering capabilities, variable degree of experience.
    New car could be a total dud (tough i doubt it).
    Possibility of not driving much in 2016.

Toyota positives:
    Tommi Mäkinen is one of the drivers in the world, if not THE driver in the world, with the clearest picture of what You need technically and driving wise to win the WRC. And he is a great teacher.
    He also has some great visions regarding stuff like geometry (tough this could potentially lead to discussions with Kris, who is very technically gifted him self, if the ideas are to wild).
    He could teach Kris "Nose End First" which is the last small adjustments Kris needs to his driving style before he is both fast AND safe.
    Kris would get total commitment and trust.
    I think Kris has a good 7-10 years left in the sport on top level, if he chooses to.

Summary: Toyota is a more uncertain option car and team wise, but would offer more long term commitment and a better base for driver development.

So what should he do about the driving:
    The most important year Seb Ogier had when it comes to driving was in an S2000 car.
    When You step "down" a class or two, and are motivated by trying to mix it with the bigger class, You really have to wring the cars neck.
    Kris should do all the reccess.
    And he should compete in several events in an R5 or similar, practising safe AND fast.
    The events he will not compete in, he should be out on the stages, studying the lines of Ogier, and compare them with the other drivers, and his own pace notes from the recce.
    For Ogier, taking a year sabbatical would be no problem. He would be just as fast, or faster, because You can really let the mind process all inputs over the last years, which You really have time to with a very busy race schedule.
    For Meeke its a little bit different. He has to little experience on some of the rallies, for that to be as easy as it would have been for Ogier.

So:
    - Go with Toyota
    - Do all recces in 2016
    - Compete in WRC events in an R5 or even in front wheel drive cars.
    - Do a lot of testing with Mäkinen as a driver coach.
    - Listen to Mäkinen!
    https://www.facebook.com/noseendfirst?ref=hl#

2. Likes: andriusaaa (12th December 2015),itix (12th December 2015),sindroms (12th December 2015)
    Liked 2,264 Times in 944 Posts
    Is there a possibility to go with Toyota and participate to WRC events with a private fiesta paid by Toyota?

Quote Originally Posted by AL14 View Post
    Is there a possibility to go with Toyota and participate to WRC events with a private fiesta paid by Toyota?
    I would think so. So a Fiesta R5 would be a possibility.

Liked 1,369 Times in 712 Posts
    If I was in Toyoda's shoes, I would have put a new scope to the German Motorsport arm. Make a R5 of their existing Yaris project ASAP.
    This was done by Ford, and has worked ok for them.

Why: Start building their database with the R5, and develop the WRCar, building it around Meeke.

6. Likes: WRC1 (12th December 2015)
    Liked 133 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lundefaret View Post
    Camilli is a good example?

Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    but their decision was Tommi will build R2 and R5

I agree that maybe Germany should build that R5

meanwhile they can use "Oreca" Fabia R5
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

Liked 777 Times in 419 Posts
    Kris Meeke should choose Toyota - and this is why:

I have put a lot of thought in this, because its not an easy decision, and there is lot of unknowns.

Citroën positives:
    If Kris should go for short term results, Citroën would be the way to go. The 17-car will probably be one of the fastest, and I would be surprised if its not faster than the Toyota.
    The team has great experience, so 2017 would be a real fight for victories for Kris.

Citroën negatives:
    I feel that Citroën has never really committed to Kris. There has been some statements from the team, that must have been tough for Meeke to hear. All of them going in the direction of his place in the team being very unsure.
    Even their arguments to seal Kris go in that direction. They point on his age, that he only has a couple of years left, etc. To me, that says that they see Kris as a short term solution, until they can build up younger French talent.

I am a bit surprised on how little Citroën knows about talents, and what to look for, having brought up both Loeb and Ogier.
    They should now that age is not a factor.
    They should know that an unexperienced driver with winning speed is easier to coach to be a champion, than an experienced driver with speed lacking.
    I am a little surprised of how Citroën thinks that the car is more important than the driver. I am just puzzled.
    Also, their "super-engineer" has left WRC for Formula E.

Summary: In Citroën Kris would be fighting for victories in 2017, but his future beyond 17-18 that would be uncertain. He would probably never feel total commitment from the team.

Toyota negatives:
    New team, new car, unknown engineering capabilities, variable degree of experience.
    New car could be a total dud (tough i doubt it).
    Possibility of not driving much in 2016.

Toyota positives:
    Tommi Mäkinen is one of the drivers in the world, if not THE driver in the world, with the clearest picture of what You need technically and driving wise to win the WRC. And he is a great teacher.
    He also has some great visions regarding stuff like geometry (tough this could potentially lead to discussions with Kris, who is very technically gifted him self, if the ideas are to wild).
    He could teach Kris "Nose End First" which is the last small adjustments Kris needs to his driving style before he is both fast AND safe.
    Kris would get total commitment and trust.
    I think Kris has a good 7-10 years left in the sport on top level, if he chooses to.

Summary: Toyota is a more uncertain option car and team wise, but would offer more long term commitment and a better base for driver development.

So what should he do about the driving:
    The most important year Seb Ogier had when it comes to driving was in an S2000 car.
    When You step "down" a class or two, and are motivated by trying to mix it with the bigger class, You really have to wring the cars neck.
    Kris should do all the reccess.
    And he should compete in several events in an R5 or similar, practising safe AND fast.
    The events he will not compete in, he should be out on the stages, studying the lines of Ogier, and compare them with the other drivers, and his own pace notes from the recce.
    For Ogier, taking a year sabbatical would be no problem. He would be just as fast, or faster, because You can really let the mind process all inputs over the last years, which You really have time to with a very busy race schedule.
    For Meeke its a little bit different. He has to little experience on some of the rallies, for that to be as easy as it would have been for Ogier.

So:
    - Go with Toyota
    - Do all recces in 2016
    - Compete in WRC events in an R5 or even in front wheel drive cars.
    - Do a lot of testing with Mäkinen as a driver coach.
    - Listen to Mäkinen!
    Great analysis (as always when it doesn't come to space frame cars hahahahaha)!

Liked 2,264 Times in 944 Posts
    Sorry I meant in a Fiesta WRC, not an R5. Would it be possible? I'm not an expert but maybe staying in a WRC is better than go with an r5 in order too keep the speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulland View Post
    If I was in Toyoda's shoes, I would have put a new scope to the German Motorsport arm. Make a R5 of their existing Yaris project ASAP.
    This was done by Ford, and has worked ok for them.

Why: Start building their database with the R5, and develop the WRCar, building it around Meeke.
    Thats a very good idea. TMR/Gazoo could buy that service from TMG.

Quote Originally Posted by itix View Post
    Great analysis (as always when it doesn't come to space frame cars hahahahaha)!
    Hehe, thanks. But don't forget that the coolest modern rally car competing anywhere in the world right now is a New Zealand space frame build �� and this actual car should be used as an object for study as to how wrc could reach some hefty price, performance and sensory targets ��

13. Likes: Rally Hokkaido (13th December 2015)