Page 70 of 78 FirstFirst ... 20606869707172 ... LastLast
    Liked 3,800 Times in 1,689 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.T View Post
    Of course..... but i can name 50 people who could win rallies with Ogier next to them but only maybe 2-3 who could win with Ingrassia next to them
    If there will be Ogier on start, there is actually only one driver, who can win with Ingrassia...

Liked 2,242 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EstWRC View Post
    Matton didn't have any problem talking to Meeke via the media when he was criticising him..

Translation: "Kris is old, our car will be good in 2017, Toyota's maybe not"

I suppose that means Citroen offer Kris two years and Toyota three.

3. Likes: AL14 (9th December 2015),dimviii (9th December 2015),EightGear (10th December 2015),Leon (10th December 2015),sindroms (10th December 2015)
    Liked 1,170 Times in 791 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RS View Post
    I suppose that means Citroen offer Kris two years
    may be more like 1 and a half
    "With that car, your brain can actually never keep up"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

Liked 16,100 Times in 6,988 Posts
    Jezzarallyblog: Meekanen

What a sweet irony it is that Kris Meeke, the Brit who for so long couldn’t buy a WRC drive now has two of the biggest outfits fighting over him.

Knowing Kris I doubt he’ll waste much time on such thoughts. All his faculties will be focused on which of Toyota and Citroen he can screw the best chance out of to be world champion.

Later in life, though, when he’s reflecting on it all he’ll probably spare a moment of wonder at how fast the wheel of fortune suddenly turns.

It was only a few years ago that he insisted he wasn’t about to waste his talent on one-off drives. He believed he was good enough to be in the WRC as of right. It takes iron-hard strength of mind to maintain that stance when no-one is knocking on your door.

So far his career has been all fits and starts, with more fits than starts. He was faster than Dani Sordo in the JWRC, but the more consistent Spaniard got the gig with the full (Kronos-run) Citroen team in 2006.

Then he was IRC champion in 2009. At the Autosport show before that season kicked off he told me: “I’d rather be in the IRC with Peugeot than a second-string world rally car.” But it was a victory that didn’t springboard him upwards. Then he became collateral damage in the war between Prodrive and BMW after his one year with Mini.

Now, two years at Citroen have finally shown team bosses what many of us have long thought: He can be the real deal at WRC level. As the one man who regularly mixes it with the VW Polo drivers his stock has suddenly taken off like a Eurofighter on afterburners.

But nothing comes that easy for the Ulsterman. No doubt he’d most like to be signing with VW for 2016 and it’s well known that team boss Jost Capito is an admirer. However, all seats there are booked until 2017 and at 35 Meeke can’t afford a year off: same goes at Hyundai, while M-Sport also has its drivers locked in.

All of which leaves him with a hell of a dilemma – albeit one that many would kill for. Citroen and Toyota have both realised with a start that they are short of a top-liner with no-one else available. So does Meeke stick with the French or stick his neck out and go the Japanese/Finnish route?

Toyota has the might of the world’s biggest motor corporation behind it. But it is solely fuelled by the personal enthusiasm of its president Akio Toyoda. Presidents can come and go – even those called Toyoda.

The team is also starting from scratch and some would ask whether they have a top-level designer on tap. Personally I’m still to be convinced everything is on cue. There’s been just too much fog and confusion so far.

What’s more it looks like Meeke would have to take a full year out of front-line competition. Most factory drivers today say margins are now so tight that a year off loses you that vital edge.

At Citroen it looks likely that he will get some outings in competition next year. Yves Matton has said this would be with a private team but you can bet the Chevron outfit’s big-hitters would keep a close eye on matters!

Citroen last won both WRC titles in 2012; Toyota way back in 1994. So the French and their engineers are bound to be more familiar with all the wrinkles, short cuts and no-nos of modern WRC cars. Can Tommi Makinen bring a fresh approach and build enough esprit de corps to offset that?

Without wanting to hammer on about Meeke’s age, he can’t afford to get his choice wrong. It’s his one chance of a shot at that world title.

For me, the tried and tested looks best -- provided they put an unbreakable three-year contract on the table.

Better the Frogs you know, than the team you don’t, I say. But then, I’m just a scribbler, not a world championship contender!

http://jezzarallyblog.blogspot.co.uk/

6. Likes: AL14 (10th December 2015),WUff1 (10th December 2015)
    Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dimviii View Post
    Jezzarallyblog: Meekanen
    What a sweet irony it is that Kris Meeke, the Brit who for so long couldn’t buy a WRC drive now has two of the biggest outfits fighting over him.
    Knowing Kris I doubt he’ll waste much time on such thoughts. All his faculties will be focused on which of Toyota and Citroen he can screw the best chance out of to be world champion.
    For sure it's great to see Meeke being able to secure a WRC seat in the long terme, but honestly it's hard to believe that Citro or Toy will be Meeke's WRC winning ticket.

From his previous experience with Matton and because of Makinen's predominant profile, there're little chances to see Meeke having the "key figure status" that enabled Loeb and Ogier to lead Citroen and VW squads and become the dominant forces of WRC...

Btw, if the issue around Toyota WRC effort was Toyoda permanence as CEO, we all could be rested...the Toyoda clan is one the most important shareholders and Akio was raised to be the company leader for a long time!
    Rally addict since 1982

Liked 2,264 Times in 944 Posts
    Toyota would be a gamble for Meeke imo.
    Citroen's contract could be shorter but if he performs well Citroen would extend it eventually. Citroen is not participating to 2016 in order to build a very strong car for 2017/2019. Toyota is more uncertain.
    I just would ask them a bit more friendly approach and to avoid overcriticism like this year.

Liked 353 Times in 209 Posts
    I'd go with Citroen, lock in 6 rounds in WRC this year, develop the 2017 car but have a contract for 3 years
    GG: "I'm stinky! I needa good shower and nice bowl of pasta!"

Liked 3,800 Times in 1,689 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dimviii View Post
    Then he was IRC champion in 2009. At the Autosport show before that season kicked off he told me: “I’d rather be in the IRC with Peugeot than a second-string world rally car.” But it was a victory that didn’t springboard him upwards.
    I dont agree with this sentence. Winning in IRC was springboard for him to go back to WRC. Without success in IRC, he will not receive offer from Prodrive...

Liked 490 Times in 250 Posts
    Without success in IRC (for PSA), I suspect he wouldn't have had the 208 T16 testing gig and the following invites from Citroen in 2013 either, it was probably the springboard to his subsequent WRC career.
    aka Rodger Davies

Liked 9,376 Times in 4,989 Posts
    If Citroen dont keep Meeke, who are they going to get in 2017 ?
    #M-SPORTER