Page 5 of 78 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
    Liked 2,262 Times in 893 Posts
    Capito is right when he says that Meeke is the only one really taking the fight to the VWs and showing a shred of personality. Who else do they really fear?

Okay we've seen front-running flashes from Tanak and Paddon at one rally each this year. That doesn't constitute a consistent threat. I'm not saying Meeke does either but at least he's in the slipstream of the Polos more often than not. That has to count for something?

2. Likes: turves (17th August 2015)
    Liked 2,264 Times in 944 Posts
    I've always supported Meeke, I really like the character and his history. Also, I really don't like Matton's strategy to publicy put pressure on his drivers. It's not effective and a bit unrespectful for 2 guys that works hard.

But we have to face reality, Matton is not wrong. Meeke is a treat in terms of speed but not in terms of points. He is the proof that speed is just a part of the cake in rally. There are many other skills and abilities you need to carry with you unless you are participating in a rallysprint.
    When we have to judge a rally driver we should do it looking at all the cake, and Meeke's results are poors in facts. Just look at the ranking. He is not actually a treat for VWs at the moment in my opinion. He has 54 points, one more than Evans...

Liked 12,211 Times in 5,243 Posts
    i agree with Jost here, like i also said some pages ago that IMO Tänak and Meeke are the only ones splitting VW's on pure speed. Paddon too sometimes.

Good graphic from our estonian forum showing drivers results since Portugal

1. Ogier 98p (24,5p per ralli) 4 podiums
    2. Latvala 65p (16,25p per ralli) 2 podiums
    3. Östberg 43p (10,75p per ralli) 1 podium
    4. Tänak 37p (9,25p per ralli) 1 podium
    5. Mikkelsen 36p (9p per ralli) 2 podium
    6. Neuville 35p (8,75p per ralli) 1 podium
    7. Paddon 34p (8,5p per ralli) 1 podium
    8. Meeke 19p (4,75p per ralli) 0 podium
    9. Evans 12p (3p per ralli) 0 podium
    10.Sordo 9p (2,25p per ralli) 0 podium

5. Likes: kolin (18th August 2015)
    Liked 140 Times in 86 Posts
    I think the the problem you've got as a current WRC team manager is that if you don't have Ogier driving one of your cars then you're searching around for scraps - the depth of talent isn't what it used to be. Or maybe since Loeb there has been one driver miles above the rest - we'll never know how Kankkunen in his prime compares to Makinen in his prime, to Loeb in his prime, to Ogier in his prime etc. Maybe Meeke, Latvala et al are as good as some champions gone by but Loeb and Ogier have been so far ahead they have made their contemporaries look worse than they were/are.

7. Likes: AL14 (17th August 2015),dodge33cymru (18th August 2015),sindroms (18th August 2015),ToughMac (18th August 2015),TWRC (17th August 2015)
    Liked 94 Times in 58 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack4688` View Post
    I think the the problem you've got as a current WRC team manager is that if you don't have Ogier driving one of your cars then you're searching around for scraps - the depth of talent isn't what it used to be. Or maybe since Loeb there has been one driver miles above the rest - we'll never know how Kankkunen in his prime compares to Makinen in his prime, to Loeb in his prime, to Ogier in his prime etc. Maybe Meeke, Latvala et al are as good as some champions gone by but Loeb and Ogier have been so far ahead they have made their contemporaries look worse than they were/are.
    No don't agree. Problem is that the team manager is responsable, no excuses, if there is no Ogier or Loeb available you have to invest in young blood, give them time and more than enough rally miles to show raw potential. Instead they are waiting for drivers with money rather than talent. Have the balls to invest time and don't be afraid to be wrong once in a while, the futur champ is already driving around only problem is nobody knows where.

9. Likes: EstWRC (18th August 2015)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ounin View Post
    No don't agree. Problem is that the team manager is responsable, no excuses, if there is no Ogier or Loeb available you have to invest in young blood, give them time and more than enough rally miles to show raw potential. Instead they are waiting for drivers with money rather than talent. Have the balls to invest time and don't be afraid to be wrong once in a while, the futur champ is already driving around only problem is nobody knows where.
    And when you find that future champ it's smart if you don't make him go away...

agree with you totally but still, jack has a point. it's not as "easy" as before to find future champs. This must be said.
    Like you say, tough, they're not doing too much to find or "create" one investing in young talents rather than hiring cheap or rich drivers.

Liked 490 Times in 250 Posts
    I think you're spot on Jack. If you don't have Ogier, you're left with what else is out there. Which is either fast or consistent, but rarely both (and rarely as good at either as Ogier).

At the moment, the pool of drivers who would have competition for their signature from the 5 manufacturers in the market next year is probably Ogier, Mikkelsen, Neuville, Lappi and Paddon and that's it. Latvala is expensive and older than Ogier, though might be the only option open to Toyota in 2017 if Hyundai and VW have the others contracted already. Tanak and Meeke wouldn't be consistent enough to have value to the big payers and Evans doesn't have the speed, although I hope Ford give him one more season. Abbring might show on tarmac that he's worth considering.

So for team managers, it comes down to what's important? Now or the future? Speed or consistency.

I would not want to be Makinen when it comes to choosing drivers at the moment. You can have a great car, but if Ogier, Mikkelsen, Lappi, Neuville and Paddon are contracted already, then you're left with Latvala (who Hyundai might also want) and little else.

Likewise, for Matton next year he's in the position of having to take a massive gamble if he wants to upgrade his current drivers. Finding someone faster than Meeke or more consistent than Ostberg will be a real challenge, seeing as they had probably placed a lot of faith in Lefevbre doing better than he has this year.

In short, Abbring might be the best bet on the market at the moment, but even he might have a contract for next year anyway (he was talking about being back at Ypres next year, which might be with the new Hyundai).

Sorry, ramble over - I might return at some point.
    aka Rodger Davies

Liked 1,064 Times in 465 Posts
    I believe Abbring is on a two-year deal, but I have no idea how much competitive driving is involved in that deal instead of testing (next year they will need to test their '17 car).

Paddon doing so well may open up some opportunities for him, if Paddon moves up to the main team next year I can't see Sordo act as 3rd driver to be honest.

After Lappi/Tidemand I can't help but feel there's a bit of a gap to the next group of young drivers. Breen can maybe get the benefit of the doubt if he can start beating Kajto consistently.
    Last edited by EightGear; 18th August 2015 at 21:42.
    SimRace Vereniging Nederland
    www.srvn.nl

How many new spec cars will have Hyundai next year?

Liked 2,262 Times in 893 Posts
    Lefebvre's second WRC car outing will be Corsica - http://www.citroenracing.com/2015/ac...orse-ds-3-wrc/

He's also doing the reccy for Australia.

15. Likes: Rallyper (28th August 2015)