Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts

Jenson Button to Top Gear - Rumour Mill in overdrive

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/bbc/...-Top-Gear.html
    The Formula One driver is said to be in talks with Chris Evans about co-presenting the new show, which launches next year.
    A source told the Daily Mail: "An announcement is imminent."

- The Torygraph, 29th Jul 2015

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...-10423959.html
    A source apparently told the Daily Mail that ‘An announcement is imminent’ from the BBC. The 35-year-old has previously appeared on the show twice and is reportedly friends with Chris Evans.
    - The Undiependant, 29th Jul 2015

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...072/SEBASTIAN-SHAKESPEARE-F1-Jenson-Button-tipped-Gear-job.html
    Formula One playboy Jenson Button may have brushed off talk of retirement, but he could be about to accelerate into a new career.
    I hear the 35-year-old driver is in talks with the BBC about co-presenting Top Gear with Chris Evans, who’s also known for a hard-partying past.
    ‘An announcement is imminent,’ claims one source.
    - Daily Fail, 29th Jul 2015

Granted that all news outlets seem to be citing the Daily Fail but where there's smoke there's a Honda engine, no?

We know that The One Show's Chris Evans is already slated to host and if Button comes on board then that only leaves one spot.
    I hope that it's me because unlike all the other hopefuls who entered, I actually do exude coolness - either that or my pen is leaking.

Button to Top Gear would leave his spot at McLaren up for grabs... if anyone wants it.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Top Gear will be Flop Gear without Clarkson, Hammond and May.
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Meanwhile the old gang have signed with Amazon Prime
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    It's interesting. Perhaps they are looking to shake thing up a bit, and perhaps dropping 'The Stig' character, and replacing him with Jenson Button driving the power laps?
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    and perhaps dropping 'The Stig' character
    What do you mean "character"? He's real.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    hopefully he will get, it will make more interesting

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    It's interesting. Perhaps they are looking to shake thing up a bit, and perhaps dropping 'The Stig' character, and replacing him with Jenson Button driving the power laps?
    With Chris Evans on board I'm sure they will shake things up a lot. He's going to want to take things in his own direction, which is no bad thing. Doing the old formula with new presenters is unlikely to lead to great success.

Apparently Evans read out the Daily Mail story about Button on his radio show. Not quite sure what that means, but my guess is it's not true. If the Mail had really got an inside line on secret negotiations, I don't think he would have read it out. More likely either the Mail made it up, or someone planted the story to generate "buzz" for the new show.

Quote Originally Posted by schmenke View Post
    Top Gear will be Flop Gear without Clarkson, Hammond and May.
    Or without Noel Edmonds, William Woollard, Vicki Butler-Henderson, Quentin Willson, Tiff Needell...

The first incarnation lasted 23 years. Provided the producers let the show settle, it'll be fine. On Top Gear Mk2, no-one even remembers Jason Dawe.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/33993734

Might be going sooner than you think
    Jenson Button fan till i die
    He Who Dares Wins :)

Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Or without Noel Edmonds, William Woollard, Vicki Butler-Henderson, Quentin Willson, Tiff Needell...

The first incarnation lasted 23 years. Provided the producers let the show settle, it'll be fine. On Top Gear Mk2, no-one even remembers Jason Dawe.
    Pre James May - Jason Dawe was a rather boring journo who didn't settle well with Clarkson and Hamster, he wanted to be too serious and was a ratings flop, so he was replaced after series 1 of Top Gear MK2. From all reports James May was always first choice, but he was unsure of the revamped format. After Series one and with Dawe floundering, James May was an easy fit