For the next instalment of our historical retrospective, I would like to look at the biggest shock signings or happenings that have happened in F1 (or other motorsport!); things which happened and were announced out of the blue, the more so, the more bonus points given

In my time in F1, these stand out:

Williams signing Jenson Button for 2000
Ditto for Raikkonen with Sauber in 2001, until Max Mosley saw to it that was cancelled(!) before being reinstated!
Frentzen being sacked by Jordan midway thru 2001, Alesi replacing him.

Fernando Alonso announcing he would join McLaren for 2007, just after winning the 2005 title for Renault. Montoya's similar signing after a hissy-fit at Williams in 2003 also counts.
Adrian Newey signs for Red Bull late 2005 - didn't see it coming.

Montoya walking out of F1 after Indy 2006, then brought forward to be immediate.

Michael Schumacher returning to F1 with the new Mercedes works team. Didn't think he'd actually do it when the rumours were going round tbh.
Jenson Button signing for McLaren for 2010 - even after visiting their factory, I didn't think he'd actually do it and his issues with Brawn would be sorted.

For the last 3 years in a row, we have had some utterly stupendous silly-season bombshells. In 2012, we had Hamilton to Mercedes, then Perez to McLaren.
In 2013 we had the summer shockers of Raikkonen rejoining Ferrari, then Webber retiring, eventually to be replaced by Dan Ricciardo, then Sergio Perez sacked at McLaren, to be replaced by Kevin Magnussen. All big news.
Then in 2014 we perhaps had the biggest one's of all. Who could have forseen a year earlier that Vettel would leave Red Bull? Even though Ferrari rumours had been circulating for years, I never took them very seriously. Then Alonso leaving Ferrari to go back to McLaren was the move that made it clear nothing can ever be impossible on the driver market.

So will we have any huge revelations this time, having been spoiled for at 3 seasons in a row? Maybe a Mercedes driver quitting? Daniel Ricciardo suddenly falling out with Red Bull and leaving? Maybe both McLaren drivers deciding to retire leaving 2 McLaren seats empty?