I’ve been thinking about the current points system and I don’t like it at all. It has been something that’s been on my mind for a while but, given the possibility that Nico Rosberg could have come out of Hungary with the Championship lead, after being out-qualified 9-1 and a 5-3 win ratio, both stats in favour of Hamilton, it appears to me that there is something inherently wrong with the current system. We could potentially have a situation where one driver wins 15 races and another driver finishes second in each of those races but wins the other 5 races because driver one has retired with reliability on each occasion. We would then have a driver with 1/3 the race victories being crowned an undeserved world champion. The previous points system always seemed fairer to me with:

10-6-4-3-2-1

This way three wins followed by a rather unlucky retirement and you still retain the championship lead. Under the current rulings it takes four wins before a driver finally has that cushion in hand over an opponent. If you win three races more than your opponent and you have a retirement, then you deserve to keep the championship lead, imo.

Last year, after winning 4 races on the trot, Lewis Hamilton was only three points ahead of Nico Rosberg in the WDC, even though at that time Rosberg had only won one race, due to Hamilton retiring, and come home second in the rest of them. I think it needs to be more evenly balanced than it is and the winner should get 30 points for each win and the rest can remain the same then.