Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bite points

Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ben View Post
    I just wonder why do they need to pass that info over the radio?
    They don't.

The clutches are very sensitive and the biting point can change with different conditions including with the powertrain warming up.

The biting point would be found on the warm up lap with the driver having to do complicated procedures to get the clutch to set itself up.

The new rules forbid drivers from setting the clutch up during the warm up lap, ie after the car has left the garage. The rules also forbid the pits from telling the driver how to set the clutch to find the biting point, the pits don't do anything and never have to set up the clutch directly.

It might introduce new problems as the clutch was never designed for manual starts, but hopefully new fixes are on the way. Its just another added expense for the teams.

2. Likes: truefan72 (23rd August 2015)
    Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post

The poor starts may have been more due to them having to turn up the wick a bit with Ferrari closing in .
    As you add more power , you will naturally get more issues getting it to the pavement .
    I doubt the Mercedes problem has anything to do with power or increased power. If that was the case then what we would have seen at the start of the Hungarian GP would have been lots of wheel spin and smoke with no traction. But what really happened was the car bugged down with a dip in revs and no wheel spin which suggest it was a clutch problem.

Interesting suggestion but my guess is the clutch rather than engine power. Note l said guess.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 12th August 2015 at 22:57.

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    I doubt the Mercedes problem has anything to do with power or increased power. If that was the case then what we would have seen at the start of the Hungarian GP would have been lots of wheel spin and smoke with no traction. But what really happened was the car bugged down with a dip in revs and no wheel spin which suggest it was a clutch problem.

Interesting suggestion but my guess is the clutch rather than engine power. Note l said guess.
    No spin and smoke might indicate they anticipated less traction than they got , couldn't it ?
    Just a spinning clutch rather than tires .

Of course , I'm totally guessing as well .

Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    No spin and smoke might indicate they anticipated less traction than they got , couldn't it ?
    Just a spinning clutch rather than tires .

Of course , I'm totally guessing as well .
    I can't argue with that, whatever the case, the powertrain did not mesh well to generate a decent traction.

Who's gonna ace it from the start tomorrow?

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Who's gonna ace it from the start tomorrow?
    After getting spanked (again) in qualifying, Nico Rosberg seemed to suggest that this might be his opportunity to shine. Putting the start in his hands, yes, that might allow him to show his stuff.

He was wrong.

Again.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post
    After getting spanked (again) in qualifying, Nico Rosberg seemed to suggest that this might be his opportunity to shine. Putting the start in his hands, yes, that might allow him to show his stuff.

He was wrong.

Again.
    I figured he might be given that in Austria Hamilton had to find the bite point all by himself and did a pretty good job of it. He could have failed and gone into anti-stall but that feel he has for the car allowed him to get away reasonably well considering his troubles.

Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    He is the awesomest.