Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 34 Times in 15 Posts

Where are all the Polo's?

Firstly, sorry if this has been covered in another thread before, I missed that.

So, where are the Polo's then? What are VW doing with them, and why haven't they sold any of the older cars to Privateers yet? I'm sure there's plenty of wealthy rallyists dying to get their hands on one. I know I want to buy one when I win the Euromillions

According to EWRC (http://www.ewrc-results.com/cars.php...gen-polo-r-wrc) There have been 28 Polo R WRCs built since 2012. So where are they, and are we ever likely to see any privateer cars?

And yes I know VW don't really need to sell them, but it'd be nice to see them being used elsewhere.
    Twitter - @Rallycameraman

2. Likes: Andre Oliveira (21st July 2015),Simmi (21st July 2015)
    Liked 1,120 Times in 599 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 306 Cosworth View Post
    Firstly, sorry if this has been covered in another thread before, I missed that.

So, where are the Polo's then? What are VW doing with them, and why haven't they sold any of the older cars to Privateers yet? I'm sure there's plenty of wealthy rallyists dying to get their hands on one. I know I want to buy one when I win the Euromillions

According to EWRC (http://www.ewrc-results.com/cars.php...gen-polo-r-wrc) There have been 28 Polo R WRCs built since 2012. So where are they, and are we ever likely to see any privateer cars?

And yes I know VW don't really need to sell them, but it'd be nice to see them being used elsewhere.
    you can ask the same question about the i20's, or the ds3's.

to me this seems one of the biggest problems the current wrc has. if you want to drive a modern wrc car as a privateer your only option is a fiesta.

Liked 887 Times in 277 Posts
    Rumor has it that Volkswagen was contemplating building RRC cars running a junior team (with used WRC cars) but this turned in to the Skoda Junior WRC team.
    https://www.facebook.com/noseendfirst?ref=hl#

Liked 2,264 Times in 944 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 306 Cosworth View Post
    Why they don't need it? I mean, what's the problem with getting money even if you already have them?
    My only explanation is that there are some "secret" in the cars they don't want others to discover. May it be? or is it stupid?

Liked 656 Times in 315 Posts
    As soon as you sell cars, you need to have the infrastructure to to deal with customers.

Car companies are not good at that, as it requires investment, people, inventory etc.

It's one of the problems with having so many manufacturers directly running their programmes rather than using the traditional garagistes (M-Sport, Prodrive, MSD etc).

So yes, they could get some money buy selling cars, but they'd need to spend lots of money to be able to provide the service to them.

7. Likes: AndyRAC (21st July 2015)
    Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    VW are in the WRC to win. End of. No other distractions are needed.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 11,149 Times in 4,425 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AL14 View Post
    Why they don't need it? I mean, what's the problem with getting money even if you already have them?
    My only explanation is that there are some "secret" in the cars they don't want others to discover. May it be? or is it stupid?
    I think You see too much conspiracy there. Of course they don't need to give everything out but I guess rallyfiend is correct. It doesn't end by selling the car. You need to have facility for rebuilding of components for customers, sufficient number of parts to deliver to customers, established service chain, available engineers to support the customers etc. etc.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 2,261 Times in 892 Posts
    I guess it still begs the question - where are all the chassis? Do they have 15-20 just sat in a lock-up somewhere?

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Aren't some of those used in WorldRX?

Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post
    you can ask the same question about the i20's, or the ds3's.

to me this seems one of the biggest problems the current wrc has. if you want to drive a modern wrc car as a privateer your only option is a fiesta.
    2 i20 WRC are in Italy, "family" Fontana, or if you lika HMI-Hyundai Italia. and there are so many DS3 WRC, tho only one who dont have their cars for privaters is VW