Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 39 Times in 33 Posts
    There's not enough interest at the moment for that many members (here) to mount a fierce debate. Which indicates a problem. Some of it, of course, related to the state of IRL. Past, and apparently present.

I am/was pro-CART, but at this point I would like to just see OWR back to a level of appreciation it once was. However, with the drastic influence of technology (aero), operation costs, more direction towards city-venues, management issues, along w/other items noted on here, I don't see anything favorable in the near future.

I suppose it's just a matter of waiting to see if OWR can sail through rough waters.

From what I've seen on some other forums, NASCAR folks are complaining about their product as well. With that in mind, at least the IRL forum here has more life on it than the MSF's NASCAR forum.
    FIDO - Forget It, Drive On

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    4) Race cars have never been about affordability. Affordability is for vacuum cleaners and blenders and your daily driver. Not in an arena where you are striving to be fastest longest.
    Let's get it straight. Very few motorsports these days can afford a relatively open-spec open-chassis design. The ones who can (barely) afford it at the three to four top-of-the-top international level competitions such as Formula 1, WEC's LMP1, MotoGP, and perhaps WRC? In what other motorsports do you see no expense spared kind of competition? Having said that, I think IndyCar might have possibly made a mistake by going with a single chassis builder since 2012. Instead, they could have mandated a relatively tight specification on chassis designs to keep the field close while allowing multiple chassis manufacturers to be in IndyCar business, which would have hopefully brought the costs down due to competition.

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    Because a while ago a certain few members were allowed to go unchecked with their disruptive posting and it chased away the few normal regulars the board had. Now there's just a ghost town.
    2nd place in the big quizz challenge!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AAReagles View Post
    There's not enough interest at the moment for that many members (here) to mount a fierce debate. Which indicates a problem. Some of it, of course, related to the state of IRL. Past, and apparently present.

I am/was pro-CART, but at this point I would like to just see OWR back to a level of appreciation it once was. However, with the drastic influence of technology (aero), operation costs, more direction towards city-venues, management issues, along w/other items noted on here, I don't see anything favorable in the near future.

I suppose it's just a matter of waiting to see if OWR can sail through rough waters.

From what I've seen on some other forums, NASCAR folks are complaining about their product as well. With that in mind, at least the IRL forum here has more life on it than the MSF's NASCAR forum.
    I've always been an IRL guy BUT as well a CART guy until 2001... CART back in 1998 and 1999 (despite we lost two great drivers in '99) were two epic seasons and let me tell you... They weren't that quick but the AAReagles were beautiful cars, I love to race those in simulations... Also liked Robby Gordon's yellow/blue Menards car in '99, can't deny that those were the most beautiful cars in AOWR history.
    October 16th, 2011 - One of the blackest days in the history of motorsports.

So basically, there are two types of people who no longer watch IndyCar but continue to disparage it right and left:

1. The old farts who have moved on and will not watch IndyCar racing under any circumstances. That's fine. But they continue coming to forums and blogs and posting excuses such as "cars are ugly" (as if ugly cars don't race in other series).

2. People who still follow motorsports but who have an utterly irrational hatred for IndyCar. Normally, they try to use the same old "ugly car" argument as the justification for their irrational hatred, but this does get old.

Just look at NASCAR. Don't tell me that people watch NASCAR because the SPEC plastic soap bars on wheels with painted headlights and no doors known as stock cars are actually beauty queens.
    Last edited by zako85; 4th August 2015 at 19:32.

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zako85 View Post
    So basically, there are two types of people who no longer watch IndyCar but continue to disparage it right and left:

1. The old farts who have moved on and will not watch IndyCar racing under any circumstances. That's fine. But they continue coming to forums and blogs and posting excuses such as "cars are ugly" (as if ugly cars don't race in other series).

2. People who still follow motorsports but who have an utterly irrational hatred for IndyCar. Normally, they try to use the same old "ugly car" argument as the justification for their irrational hatred, but this does get old.

Just look at NASCAR. Don't tell me that people watch NASCAR because the SPEC plastic soap bars on wheels with painted headlights and no doors known as stock cars are actually beauty queens.
    Interesting conclusion. Especially since the only one to mention ugly cars was me back in post #7. That's 1 in fourteen or 7.14% of the posts. Do you perhaps have a day job interpreting polls for politicians?
    Last edited by Starter; 4th August 2015 at 22:05.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    Interesting conclusion. Especially since the only one to mention ugly cars was me back in post #7. That's 1 in fourteen or 7.14% of the posts. Do you perhaps have a day job interpreting polls for politicians?
    Although it may look this way, your posts did not inspire my half-drunken post. It's everywhere! That particular day, and previously, I was reading a post of Jalopnik.com, and I was irritated. That's why I came up with that hypothesis.

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zako85 View Post
    Although it may look this way, your posts did not inspire my half-drunken post. It's everywhere! That particular day, and previously, I was reading a post of Jalopnik.com, and I was irritated. That's why I came up with that hypothesis.
    I can relate to half-drunken posts. I was just pulling your leg a bit.

Actually, IndyCar just doesn't seem to have the aura it once did. The competition is fairly good, but I just can't maintain interest in the series. I watch a few of the races if I happen to be home. I just don't go out of my way to watch, like set the recorder if I'm not home. Didn't used to be that way.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Here is an interesting article about slow and painful demise of road racing at Laguna Seca.

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/why-ru...ant-1724205713

Liked 54 Times in 41 Posts
    I loved to got to Laguna Seca. My first visit was when the pass happened.
    I like the country side, sitting on the hill and be able to watch 3/4 of the track, more or less.
    Never been to Sears point, but would go back to Laguna Seca in a heart beat.
    "Wives live longer than husbands, because they are not married to women" Colin Mochrie - "Whose Line is it anyway?" - The funniest TV show on earth!