Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts

Why is this forum dead?

To be honest, I think IndyCar is having the finest title battle in the last five years, and the Indy 500 was probably the finest Indy 500 race in the same span. If Montoya wins the IndyCar Champion title this year, it will be undoubtedly the finest storyline of ALL motorsports in 2015 (given how moribund F1 is this year), and yet nobody is discussing this? Montoya is already one of the best fairytale comeback stories of all times.

The season did start kind of slow, with NOLA race being a low point, but it picked up strongly after that. Indy 500 was excellent. The Toronto race as the strongest race of the last five years or so, and Iowa Corn Indy delivered another very solid race. While I didn't consider Fontana a great race due to safety considerations, it did generate an incredible amount of gossip on automotive news sites. The TV ratings are supposedly going up. What happen? Do we really need to get Danica Patrick back in Indy seat to get people interested?
    Last edited by zako85; 21st July 2015 at 15:31.

2. Likes: AAReagles (23rd July 2015)
    Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    The CART - IRL wars, that ended a few years back, left a whole lot of old time fans with a bad taste in their mouths. Then, the new IRL was, at best, underwhelming. New management didn't/doesn't understand that much of the allure of the old series was the cars as well as the drivers. Add in an almost complete lack of meaningful promotion and it adds up to not very many new fans replacing the disgruntled old ones.

The CART fanatics went to their own website quite a few years ago, to tell each other how wonderful they were and what %&#$ the IRL fans were. (I haven't looked in there in years, but wouldn't be surprised to find a Jonestown scenario.) The IRL faithful always had their own site, which was also, ah, less than welcoming if you had a different opinion. It may still be around. And a very few of the old folks from here started a new site a couple years ago which quickly degenerated into an "insult anyone who doesn't think like us" place.

The races this year have been pretty good on average, but the cars still suck. I still love racing, but have lost the passion for IndyCar. I don't make a special effort to watch or record for later the races and don't particularly care if or how many races I miss. I get my fix with SCCA club racing these days.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Because various owners and various officials thought they didn't need any fans and could do with open wheel racing as they pleased

5. Likes: AAReagles (23rd July 2015)
    Liked 39 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zako85 View Post
    To be honest, I think IndyCar is having the finest title battle in the last five years, and the Indy 500 was probably the finest Indy 500 race in the same span. If Montoya wins the IndyCar Champion title this year, it will be undoubtedly the finest storyline of ALL motorsports in 2015 (given how moribund F1 is this year), and yet nobody is discussing this? Montoya is already one of the best fairytale comeback stories of all times.

The season did start kind of slow, with NOLA race being a low point, but it picked up strongly after that. Indy 500 was excellent. The Toronto race as the strongest race of the last five years or so, and Iowa Corn Indy delivered another very solid race. While I didn't consider Fontana a great race due to safety considerations, it did generate an incredible amount of gossip on automotive news sites. The TV ratings are supposedly going up. What happen? Do we really need to get Danica Patrick back in Indy seat to get people interested?
    Uh no, we don't need/want her back to detract from the sport again. Otherwise all good valid points, but as Starter summed up on this thread, and some time ago...

29th January 2015,
    Thread: Brian Barnhart named as new Race Director
    Post #1

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    The king of not having a clue is back in charge. That pretty much does it for me as a follower of the series. To bad, I really enjoyed my involvement in the series back when it was real racing....
    ....When I read that (up above), I figured 'here's a guy who follows IRL more than I do, and if that's his opinion, I figure why should I bother?' I did watch the 500, and it was good, but the cloned-cars thing is still a put-off for me - those cars resemble more the of Can-Am racers of the late 70's/early 80's, than "Open" Wheel Racing.

Anyways, like you, I hope things will make a turn around for the better, though I have my doubts... which leads to the next comment that's fitting for the times....

Quote Originally Posted by bugeyedgomer View Post
    Because various owners and various officials thought they didn't need any fans and could do with open wheel racing as they pleased
    ... says it all really.

Just follow the money.
    Last edited by AAReagles; 23rd July 2015 at 01:33.
    FIDO - Forget It, Drive On

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post

The races this year have been pretty good on average, but the cars still suck
    When IndyCar fans say that cars suck, what do they mean? That the cars are no beauty queens? Aren't race cars primarily about speed and safety and affordability first? What does it matter that a car is not beautiful in someone's subjective view? Remember the 2012 Formula 1 cars with their flat shovel noses with a kink? I thought they were alright, but most people hated them. Or the 2014 F1 cars. Those anteaters weren't beauty queens either.

Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    Why's no one here? Nobody wants to say anything detrimental to IndyCar, just in case they slap a ban on us...
    https://wordpress.com/stats/insights/stugrovesf1.wordpress.com

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    When IndyCar fans say that cars suck, what do they mean? That the cars are no beauty queens? Aren't race cars primarily about speed and safety and affordability first? What does it matter that a car is not beautiful in someone's subjective view? Remember the 2012 Formula 1 cars with their flat shovel noses with a kink? I thought they were alright, but most people hated them. Or the 2014 F1 cars. Those anteaters weren't beauty queens either.
    What do they mean? How about:
    1) The cars are ugly and, almost, not even open wheel anymore.
    2) The cars are slow. Compared to Indy type cars of twenty years ago. The drivers keep saying they want more HP, so they think so too.
    3) The cars are all identical. There is no mechanical innovation any longer. Even the so called aero kits are mandated to be cookie cutter.
    4) Race cars have never been about affordability. Affordability is for vacuum cleaners and blenders and your daily driver. Not in an arena where you are striving to be fastest longest.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Why is this forum dead?
    Because IndyCar is run by the owners of IMS?
    The secret to winning races: More Throttle, Less Brake.

Liked 39 Times in 33 Posts
    IMS? Incompetent Motor Sports?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Because people are always complaining about that stupid and irrelevant past and despite it still happens on TrackForum, at least it isn't as worse over there as it used to be here!
    October 16th, 2011 - One of the blackest days in the history of motorsports.

13. Likes: AAReagles (26th July 2015)