Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    That said. Is Hamilton the best British driver since Clark?
    I like F1 history a lot, so I often find these kind of questions intriguing. But as Nitrodaze says, any comparisons are only going be relative.

I would take Hamilton above Mansell. Mansell, while spectacular, was a notch below Senna and Prost in terms of overall performance. Anyone else there in that timeframe? Hunt, D. Hill? Hamilton still looks more impressive. However, I can't put Hamilton above Stewart. Stewart in his prime was a clear benchmark driver of the field, which puts him into an absolute elite group of all time drivers.

Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ben View Post
    But for Hamilton to say he'll soon have matched Senna's achievements.. oh boy, what an ego he has.
    I think you would find that Hamilton was speaking statistically. At the rate he is going, he can statistically match Senna, hence it is not ego but a matter of fact. But on sheer driving excellence, that is a different matter as most would approach this subjectively. But there are a few hints that would suggest that Hamilton is a notch short of Senna in sheer grit and determination to overcome the odds. An example would be Silverstone 2014, it was a little slippery due to rain, Lewis pitted because he felt nobody would beat his time in these condition. Rosberg stayed out and found a drying track come to him as he persevered and took pole. Lewis was clearly gutted about this and went out the next and won the race.
    My point is, Senna would have stayed out while his rival is out trying. There is also Senna's incredible focus on all aspects of the job. This is not to say Hamilton is not focused. 2015 has been his noticeably highest level of focus for a long time. Even so, his level of focus is not anywhere near that of Senna. Apart from mandatory commercial activities, Senna was very much concentrated on how to do better next time out. Nikki Lauda was very much like that too.
    Lewis sometimes seemed slightly distracted. That said, Hamilton on his day is every bit Senna like and unbeatable.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 29th August 2015 at 18:39.

Liked 169 Times in 131 Posts
    For those who didn't know, just wanted to mention that Scott Dixon won the Indycar title - due to double points since it was such a contentious issue in F1. Glad F1 got rid of it.

Also, I am a believer in Grosjean, since the day he put his car 3rd on the grid at Melbourne in 2012. Mark Hughes also thinks so here

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/324...er-rated-in-f1

I also agree with the post above that Hamilton doesn't seem like the most focused driver of all time, which is frustrating if you like him. I'd say Vettel applies himself the most of the current top drivers, while I believe Alonso is still very good, but definitely declining. I was just thinking the other day of his qualifying lap and race at Monza 2006. He doesn't seem quite as scintillating these days, though is probably benefitting from being more experienced now.
    Last edited by rjbetty; 1st September 2015 at 07:11.
    SPAM - Going off topic to give you the deals you don't want.

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbetty View Post
    For those who didn't know, just wanted to mention that Scott Dixon won the Indycar title - due to double points since it was such a contentious issue in F1. Glad F1 got rid of it...
    Um no. It was Montoya's contact with his team mate after the restart that enabled Dixon to win the title .
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schmenke View Post
    Um no. It was Montoya's contact with his team mate after the restart that enabled Dixon to win the title .
    In a normal racing situation it would have been JPM's fault for initiating contact and should be called that way. In this particular instance, one has to wonder why Dixon did not just let his team mate through to go after the championship - he would have been royally and vocally pissed had in been the other way around.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    In a normal racing situation it would have been JPM's fault for initiating contact and should be called that way. In this particular instance, one has to wonder why Dixon did not just let his team mate through to go after the championship - he would have been royally and vocally pissed had in been the other way around.
    I think you mean why Will Power didn't let his team mate through. But yes, it was a rather bizarre incident. It actually looked to me more like Power cut JPM off, but I think it could be called either way. JPM outbraked himself a little going in to the corner, and Power took an exit line that was tighter than it needed to be.

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    I think you mean why Will Power didn't let his team mate through.
    Yeah, a good example of typing before engaging your brain. Something I do way too often.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 33 Times in 30 Posts
    Double points are BS! I'm sure they'll do away with them as well!
    Would love to have seen Juan Pablo win it!
    Form is Temporary, Class is Permanent

9. Likes: Tazio (5th September 2015)
    Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Here is a random post. How come no one took notice of the sparks coming from underneath the cars this season? It seems to me like a another gimmick to keep the fans interested.

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zako85 View Post
    Here is a random post. How come no one took notice of the sparks coming from underneath the cars this season? It seems to me like a another gimmick to keep the fans interested.
    I've seen it mentioned several times. And at the upcoming night race in Singapore, I think it will be mentioned even more. Gimmick? Yeah, pretty much. But in pictures from days gone by, the "light show" is pretty fascinating to look at. One of my favorite Senna pictures features a shower of sparks trailing his car. I can only imagine what it would be like to stand at a corner in Singapore or Bahrain and wait for the cars to bottom out and light up the night.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith