Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts

Random posts, not worth their own thread.

Mark Webber's promoting his book. Had a lengthy chat on radio down here this morning.

http://www.abc.net.au/local/audio/20...ate=%28none%29

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    Whilst discussing Bianchi's accident, a friend of mine has expressed curiosity over the fact that FOM only records half of the cars' cameras at any time. Does anyone have a source for this? I've read it quite a few times, but I'm not sure I can find a reliable source.

Edit: never mind. http://thejudge13.com/2015/06/22/les...l-go-unheeded/

Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    Since the current rules make an f1 season pretty much concluded after the first round of tests they've decided it's pointless to keep testing for too long so from next year 2 pre-season tests and 0 in-season tests will be just enough. On the other hand we'll have a record of 21 races to confirm the first test... unless of course some traditional venue goes belly up in the mean time. I'm looking forward to great Sunday afternoon naps powered by Formula 1.

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ben View Post
    Since the current rules make an f1 season pretty much concluded after the first round of tests they've decided it's pointless to keep testing for too long so from next year 2 pre-season tests and 0 in-season tests will be just enough. On the other hand we'll have a record of 21 races to confirm the first test... unless of course some traditional venue goes belly up in the mean time. I'm looking forward to great Sunday afternoon naps powered by Formula 1.
    Close , but you don't have it quite right. All of the points paying positions, including champion and manufacturer, will be decided by testing. Sponsors will still pay the same amount to everyone especially Bernie. And all the race weekends will still be held except there will be no cars there. Jumbotrons will be placed in each spectator area showing replays from testing. Expect ticket prices to go up.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

"The British driver maintains he is fully focused on the task but did admit, as he approaches matching his hero Ayrton Senna’s achievements, he is finding it hard to comprehend just how far his career has taken him." Dream on baby. You can win twice as many races and titles and you will have not matched Senna

Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ben View Post
    "The British driver maintains he is fully focused on the task but did admit, as he approaches matching his hero Ayrton Senna’s achievements, he is finding it hard to comprehend just how far his career has taken him." Dream on baby. You can win twice as many races and titles and you will have not matched Senna
    You can't compare different era's of F1 for obvious reasons. Rules are different, Engine size, Clutch, aero characteristics, speed level, chassis structure etc. Hence, Hammy is not seeking to match his hero but to create his own folklore. Between Senna and Hamilton, there hase been a few aces that deserve their own folklore, Michael Schumacher 7 times world champion, Vettel 4 times world champion. Each making their own mark on F1's history. Take the moment in, as one day you shall speak of this moment with reverence.

7. Likes: jens (29th August 2015)
    Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    That said. Is Hamilton the best British driver since Clark?
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    It depends on how one defines best. Since Clark there has been a few more successful British drivers than Hamilton. Jackie Stewart for one, a 3 times world champion.

Hamilton is exciting to watch even in a less competitive car. But the same point raised in the previous post apply here also. It is difficult to say one era is better than the other as the driver for each era face different challenges. I think the best way to compare drivers across eras, is to ask how well each driver performed in their era with the opposition they were against, the car they drove and the state of the track they competed on compared a similar criteria for driver of this era. You have to factor in that it got easier, safer but more complex to operate the F1 car as time passed. In clark's time, l am not sure if the speed was anywhere as fast as it is now. 160mph tops probably compared 200mph plus currently.

Obviously, characteristic of the opposition, car and track would be significantly different. A few thing would be common, how the driver strives to achieve the level of success they attained, their work ethics, self discipline, determination to succeed and pure natural talent would be unmistakably similar. If you have those information for each of the drivers in question, then you may be able to answer some to questions about who was best.

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    As mentioned below your post, there is Stewart. I also agree that it is very difficult to reasonably compare drivers from different eras. Though Clark and Stewart are not that far removed from each other.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

I don't have the habit to compare drivers of different eras. I only started to watch F1 in 1996 so even if I did attempt to make such silly comparisons it would be based on hearsay and subjective opinions formed well after the facts (people tend to romanticize the past, don't they?) so they wouldn't hold much value. But for Hamilton to say he'll soon have matched Senna's achievements.. oh boy, what an ego he has. For a start, Formula 1 was then just slightly more difficult. Some would say dangerous. I might be wrong but I do think that facing death makes achievements slightly bigger. I don't think that climbing Everest is as big an achievement today as it was when Tenzing Norgay and that other guy he guided did it first a few years back.
    It would be pretty pathetic for me to climb now Everest and say I'm the new Edmund Hillary.
    Last edited by Big Ben; 27th August 2015 at 13:23.