Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    Well, at least that gives me something to think about.

My guess is that in the position of desperation. Rosberg just smoked him, and Hamilton had no answer on the track. If Rosberg was annoyed. I suspect he'd be ruing the fact he had Hamilton's number, but his advantage was negated by a fortunately timed stop and rain tyres.

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    As long as I have followed F1, even during a race there are fluctuations. Sometimes driver A is lapping faster, sometimes Driver B. There is no reason to overanalyze one specific part where Rosberg was faster. Hamilton beat him fair and square by the chequered flag.

It reminds me some of the early season arguments that Räikkönen was "faster" than Vettel, just because in some parts of the race he seemed to have better lap-times. This despite Vettel finishing well ahead at the chequered flag. Let's not start clutching at straws.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens View Post
    As long as I have followed F1, even during a race there are fluctuations. Sometimes driver A is lapping faster, sometimes Driver B. There is no reason to overanalyze one specific part where Rosberg was faster. Hamilton beat him fair and square by the chequered flag.

It reminds me some of the early season arguments that Räikkönen was "faster" than Vettel, just because in some parts of the race he seemed to have better lap-times. This despite Vettel finishing well ahead at the chequered flag. Let's not start clutching at straws.
    Yup, exactly. No one driver can get it right all the time. It's the ones that get it right the most that distinguish the good from the great. For example, take how Hamilton has pretty much obliterated Rosberg last and especially this year. Rosberg is a very lucky boy to be so close to Hamilton in this years championship indeed. There should realistically be a net 34 points between them. It's only due to the Monaco fiasco he's less than a race win to him but I'm sure that will all balance itself out throughout the year, either through reliability or another Mercedes blunder. But with a 5-3 win ratio (should be 6-2) and 8-1 in qualifying, all in Hamilton's favor, those statistics speak for themselves. But, as I said, I'm sure it will all even out even though there may be one or two further races where Rosberg has 5-10 minutes duration of being fast than Hamilton.

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens View Post

I asked a specific question.

I could ask about any moment in the race (anyone could ask any question), like why the Williams beat the MB off the line? But I specifically asked about Rosberg's pace, because if was a remarkable gain and an unexpected performance.

Do you understand?

Quote Originally Posted by journeyman racer View Post
    I asked a specific question.

I could ask about any moment in the race (anyone could ask any question), like why the Williams beat the MB off the line? But I specifically asked about Rosberg's pace, because if was a remarkable gain and an unexpected performance.

Do you understand?
    Ok

Liked 169 Times in 131 Posts
    I think the general feeling/consensus was that Hamilton's lack of pace in that little portion of race owed a lot to a setup mistake - too much understeer, which caused problems heating up the tyres. This is basically what I heard. Just happens I guess. He didn't get it right that time.

I think that's probably true as form doesn't show Hamilton struggles too much in the wet. There was Japan last year for example, where Rosberg was overtaken around the outside in Japan last year in the rain - with Hamilton faster by such a margin (and for longer) it had dj on here screaming and spluttering that it was SO unfair!

EDIT: Not to do Rosberg down though. He did a fine job I think. I have always rated him highly as has TBK IIRC... or was it truefan, now I cant remember. I certainly think he's pushed Hamilton more than Jenson did.
    Last edited by rjbetty; 16th July 2015 at 17:43.
    SPAM - Going off topic to give you the deals you don't want.

Quote Originally Posted by rjbetty View Post
    EDIT: Not to do Rosberg down though. He did a fine job I think. I have always rated him highly as has TBK IIRC... or was it truefan, now I cant remember. I certainly think he's pushed Hamilton more than Jenson did.
    It is certainly an interesting claim. While Rosberg and Button have pretty different strengths, their net result compared to Hamilton has basically been the same. Obviously there was one season, where Hamilton fell apart and Button beat him (2011). Other than that it has been LH ahead most of the time with his team-mate occasionally also getting a better result, but usually finishing 5-10-20 seconds down the road.

So if NR and JB were driving in the same team, I think they'd basically even in points. Would be a fantastic battle.

I forgot to mention though that since Jenson tends to drive better the better the car is, he would probably do very well in the Mercedes, while Rosberg's racecraft is a little suspect, something I noticed back in the MS days, and he might have suffered more if he was driving the McLaren instead of Jenson, being much more in the pack than he is with the Mercedes.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbetty View Post
    I think the general feeling/consensus was that Hamilton's lack of pace in that little portion of race owed a lot to a setup mistake - too much understeer, which caused problems heating up the tyres. This is basically what I heard. Just happens I guess. He didn't get it right that time.

I think that's probably true as form doesn't show Hamilton struggles too much in the wet. There was Japan last year for example, where Rosberg was overtaken around the outside in Japan last year in the rain - with Hamilton faster by such a margin (and for longer) it had dj on here screaming and spluttering that it was SO unfair!

I don't know about true fan but I have always rated Rosberg's driving ability extremely high and I stated before Hamilton went to Mercedes that I didn't think he would be as easy to surmount as Button. I was right!

It's only when he cheats (especially when he gets away with it twice) that I have had an issue with him. If he beats Hamilton in a straight fair fight then I'll always be totally fine with that!

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    I have always rated Rosberg's driving ability extremely high. It's only when he cheats (especially when he gets away with it twice) that I have had an issue with him. If he beats Hamilton in a straight fair fight then I'll always be totally fine with that!
    Aha so it was you, thought so. Yup that's how I feel. As for cheating I wasn't happy with Monaco, cos nothing was acknowleged but what really got me was that somehow, Hamilton was the one who came out that episode as the bad guy and it was left at that! Especially by that, and sorry for this, but that pr1ck Warwick (I didn't care so much about Stewart since I expect nothing less). The way I've always understood things, that's messed up.

I too was very disappointed in Nico as I also thought he was better than that.

Any bitterness over that is maybe justified, it sure beats being bitter because my favourite driver was 'smoked' by Ricciardo (oh I'm being naughty).

I know you have always congratulated Rosberg when he wins fairly. That's why I'm not sure why JR says we're a stain on motorsport ??

Especially when M.Schumacher comes in for so much disdain for cheating, but then Nico does the same thing and it's nothing to see here and no-one should be unhappy about it.

Just like Keke actually.
    Last edited by rjbetty; 16th July 2015 at 19:09.