Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens View Post
    I read the opening post and from what I gather, it all started out, because Hamilton said that if he didn't win, he'd not like Rosberg to win?

To be honest, I don't know, what I am supposed to say. I think they all think like that. You don't like your direct rival to win, if you personally don't win. I bet Schumacher was pretty satisfied, when he saw Damon Hill retiring at Adelaide'94 with a broken suspension. Maybe he didn't say it out loud in an interview, but that's how it mentally works.

Hamilton's main "problem" is that he is not as skilled with media than some other drivers. Which means he says some things that are not usually said or are kept to people themselves. But he says it out loud. You have to see it through. Hamilton doesn't think "worse" than other competitive people, he just doesn't play with the media and often doesn't choose words. But it is okay, it is human.

If I was a celebrity and giving interviews each day, I think I'd try to be pretty careful. Because I know any word I'd say "wrong" would be analyzed to death and would get heavy criticism. Especially in the moment of heat.

You'd say I'd be a "PR-driver" and not "telling things sincerely/not telling truth", but if you are a celebrity and your life is heavily scrutinized, you have no other option than to KEEP SILENT and say as little as possible! If you don't want to attract unnecessary attention, which will start distracting your personal life no less.
    There's just no honour , or loyalty on this point any more .

I'm sure the shoe wasn't in any hurry to help , but that was from the sidelines .
    This is a little different , but , as you say , they all seem to think like that .

Maybe it's all just a fairy tale in the first place , but the idea that you might be rewarded handsomely for loyally playing the number 2 role has to be founded on a mutual respect , which , frankly in my opinion should be obvious from the outset , but seems , in F1 , to be woefully missing , and naively , not missed .

Everyone should have roughly the same goal , with the minor difference being that the drivers want to each be ahead of the other .

I'm sure these guys have been briefed on being allowed the race freely , as long as the math says they each have a chance to be first .

It's pretty simple .
    It's a team .

Frankly , I love that all these guys who do super-human feats at the wheel can be rather more human at the mic .
    Remember , I weathered the storm as a big JV fan .
    Mind you , JV said controversial things that were easy to defend .

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens View Post
    The bolded part is really the crux of the matter here. If you have lots of fans, you have lots of "defence". There are always critics, but if something goes "wrong", there is always an "army" to protect you. If you don't have many fans, and something goes "wrong", you will get only 'bashing' or 'criticism' in milder form. And it is out of balance.

As for 2007-2009, my memory is less hazy about that. But Vettel hadn't established himself at the front at that time properly yet, so attention was on other drivers. It may have been an 'active' period of Hamilton at that time, and Alonso, Räikkönen, Massa were under scrutiny during that time frame as well, both for good and bad reasons.
    If you visit the busier forums I can assure you Vettel has plenty of fans defending him too. He might not have as many but the criticism has died down a lot since he's been beaten by a team mate at RB and joined the Scuderia. That in itself has added plenty of balance to discussion much like Hamilton's less successful years calmed a lot of places down.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    There's just no honour , or loyalty on this point any more .

I'm sure the shoe wasn't in any hurry to help , but that was from the sidelines .
    This is a little different , but , as you say , they all seem to think like that .

Maybe it's all just a fairy tale in the first place , but the idea that you might be rewarded handsomely for loyally playing the number 2 role has to be founded on a mutual respect , which , frankly in my opinion should be obvious from the outset , but seems , in F1 , to be woefully missing , and naively , not missed .

Everyone should have roughly the same goal , with the minor difference being that the drivers want to each be ahead of the other .

I'm sure these guys have been briefed on being allowed the race freely , as long as the math says they each have a chance to be first .

It's pretty simple .
    It's a team .

Frankly , I love that all these guys who do super-human feats at the wheel can be rather more human at the mic .
    Remember , I weathered the storm as a big JV fan .
    Mind you , JV said controversial things that were easy to defend .
    I'm far too young to remember the days of drivers having honour when it comes to their teams. Perhaps Damon Hill and Mika Hakkinen are the only two I have watched and haven't put themselves first before their employers. The likes of Hamilton, Alonso, Raikkonen, Vettel, Schumacher, Villeneuve, Senna, Prost, Piquet etc have all done or said questionable things in the past and things much worse than anything we see lately. Why were the international media not jumping on Lewis for what you feel is such a dishonour? Perhaps there really is less to it than this thread makes out after all?

3. Likes: Jag_Warrior (11th July 2015)