Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anfield5 View Post
    Had to smile at the BBC. Headline was along the lines of Nico Hulkenberg wins LeMans from Mark Webber - odd headline as Nico didn't drive on his own.
    The BBC headline that I saw was more along the lines of "England's Nick Tandy wins Le Mans....with two others". Although the story made it sound like each driver did 8 hours straight and then handed to the next one. Don't blame them for hyping up the F1 driver bit though, it helps for non-motorsport people to relate to and gives the story meaning to more people. Happens elsewhere too, if a footballer has a car crash and someone gets hurt (even if it's a lower league player) then it'll be "footballer runs over pedestrian". If it's a dentist or lawyer or construction site manager then it'll be "person runs over pedestrian". Journalism has to seek to identify with elements that will be recognisable and give the biggest audience, unfortunately that means that we'll always have to put up with F1 getting mentioned.

Great to see the reaction of Tandy after the end of the race, he was clearly blown away by it.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
    So gutted I wasn't able to get there this year. Great race though, not quite as close to the flag as I was hoping, but still brilliant to watch.
    Yeah the last 6 or so hours were just a case of Porsche needing to be reliable, up until then there was a very real chance of it going either way.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by journeyman racer View Post

Why doesn't it count?
    Ford had the best failed staged finish of all time. They had two cars onthe lead lap and decided to stage a finish for the photo album. They had the second car of McLaren and Hulme pull up alongside the lead car of Miles and Amon and finish in formation. Miles and Amon crossed the line first (half a car length in front) only to be told after the race that Bruce and Denny were declared winners, due to the fact that they started from further down the grid, and thus covered more distance *by about 6.5 metres)

Last edited by anfield5; 15th June 2015 at 23:01.

4. Likes: journeyman racer (24th June 2015)
    Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    Oh right, I see.

On another note. If a Pom was going to get up and win, I'm glad it wasn't Anthony Davidson. That guy's a flog. 7 factory LMP1 drives at LM for 0 wins now.

Does Nick Tandy have any presence amongst British motorsport fans before this? I suspect he's unknown amongst the wider British public?

Liked 94 Times in 58 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
    Greetings to New Zealanders with the 1-2 at today's Le Mans 24 Hrs. Also to Australians, with the 2nd position of Mark Webber.
    Don't forget Richie Stanaway and Mitch Evans, two shiny futures in long distance racing ahead. It was funny there were comparisons made with Danmark, so many very good drivers per 4-5 million citizens Danmark as well and in NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by journeyman racer View Post
    Oh right, I see.

On another note. If a Pom was going to get up and win, I'm glad it wasn't Anthony Davidson. That guy's a flog. 7 factory LMP1 drives at LM for 0 wins now.

Does Nick Tandy have any presence amongst British motorsport fans before this? I suspect he's unknown amongst the wider British public?
    Saw Davidson nearly miss it coming out of Esses towards Tertre Rouge it was damn close! Tandy is very known in Britisch motorsport fans aeria, which is huge. Wider British public only knows this Hamilton guy (as I recall this lad is part of the Eccelstone show...) In order to attract a bit more attention for this 24H race than only the fans, I can imagine the Tandy headline.

8. Likes: journeyman racer (24th June 2015)
    Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ounin View Post
    Don't forget Richie Stanaway and Mitch Evans, two shiny futures in long distance racing ahead. It was funny there were comparisons made with Danmark, so many very good drivers per 4-5 million citizens Danmark as well and in NZ.
    You are quite correct. NZ produces many talented drivers, Scott Dixon, Hayden Paddon, Hartley, Evans, Stanaway, Chris van der Drift who was doing well in F3 two years ago before a Herbert like accident at Brands HAtch. The problem for our young stars is twofold. 1. they don't tend to have huge amounts of cash behind them, and in F1 terms New Zealand isnt a marketable commodity i.e. if they were from a different country with lots of cash sponsors available, they would progress further, faster.

Chris vd Drift lives in Milton Keynes UK near friends of mine, funny to see a racing hero in local supermarket ... Funny thing is that the Dutch claim Chris as a Dutchman, at least he speaks Dutch fluently.

In that case a big credit then to Red Bull and it's worldwide development programm they have supported Evans as well as Hartley early in their careers albeit living so far away then! Don't know the popularity of Motorsport in NZ in general, TV or other public media but maybe again similarity with Damark (I'm not Danish by the way) lots of money goes to other sports like soccer... They are having good racing seats due to their talent, big wallet or a decent combination of the two. The Kiwi's are there I guess only for their huge talent, the rich guys stay Down Under.